Search

Your favorite Goldbelly finds

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by gaobest
thank you! I think Plat costs money, so I guess it’s fair that Amex is limiting the free money.
The plat annual fee is $550. However it comes with $200 airline fee credit, $200 credit for travel booked on AmexTravel portal, $15 uber credit per month, and some of these better offers. I save enough to easily justify the AF.

I just ordered some stone crab on GoldBelly for Thursday delivery. Hopefully it's good. I had a $15 off code, so it got it down to $84 with the Amex credit. Still not as cheap as the per pound price in the Keys at the local markets but not bad for having to ship it to me overnight in California.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Not the best bagels in the world. No one who's lived in/near NYC would say that about Montreal bagels.
omg please post your bagel review here. I’m so excited for you!!
i’m slowly making freezer space for our essa bagels but I have had the Montreal curiosity for months :-)

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
The plat annual fee is $550. However it comes with $200 airline fee credit, $200 credit for travel booked on AmexTravel portal, $15 uber credit per month, and some of these better offers. I save enough to easily justify the AF.

I just ordered some stone crab on GoldBelly for Thursday delivery. Hopefully it's good. I had a $15 off code, so it got it down to $84 with the Amex credit. Still not as cheap as the per pound price in the Keys at the local markets but not bad for having to ship it to me overnight in California.
Yummy - mega enjoy!
I agree that Plat can be worth it. It’s like the Costco membership to get all the Costco deals.
Have you ever tried frozen snow crab claws from Costco? They’re around $38 for a 1.5-lb bag.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks for starting this thread, I didn't know about the Goldbelly offer, since I mainly use my Amex when traveling. I also see there are spend $50 get $50 credit at Home Depot, Home Chef, and Best Buy. Very cool.
corky likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
Thanks for starting this thread, I didn't know about the Goldbelly offer, since I mainly use my Amex when traveling. I also see there are spend $50 get $50 credit at Home Depot, Home Chef, and Best Buy. Very cool.
Damn--I have Amex and sign up for many offers but I think that one is limited to Plt. Sounds like a pretty good one though.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
Damn--I have Amex and sign up for many offers but I think that one is limited to Plt. Sounds like a pretty good one though.
yeah, seems to only be Platinum $550/year card. It feels fair; I just choose the free cards. I never spend enough to make a real impact.

my goldbelly thing is to order on a Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday at night, Hope it ships FedEx overnight by Wednesday, and that it arrives on Thursday. Or Friday if there’s a weird delay. FedEx Won’t deliver to residential addresses over the weekend so it’s super imperative to order early in the week so that the business can fill the order during morning while having it fetched that afternoon.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah, seems to only be Platinum $550/year card. It feels fair; I just choose the free cards. I never spend enough to make a real impact.

my goldbelly thing is to order on a Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday at night, Hope it ships FedEx overnight by Wednesday, and that it arrives on Thursday. Or Friday if there’s a weird delay. FedEx Won’t deliver to residential addresses over the weekend so it’s super imperative to order early in the week so that the business can fill the order during morning while having it fetched that afternoon.
My Amex isn't free but I get many, many free hotel nights from it. Well at least I used to when I could go somewhere.
JBord likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I'm really tempted to order the Lamb Shoulder Meal Kit from James Beard Award winner Chef Michael Solomonov's Zahav restaurant in Philadelphia, but it feeds six (their portions are generous, so it's way too much food for the two of us).
JBord likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by fwfdan
I respectfully disagree... I have not lived in Montreal or NYC but spent a while in both places. Montreal kicks butt...
Well see, you're picking Montreal because you go into the judging without any biases

Mr. CE just told me that he called Lester's and ordered 6 pounds of smoked meat from them. (They're not on Goldbelly so he did this directly.) Sadly he did not order any of their great rye bread but he did suggest we could eat it on bagels.

Apparently they've done tremendous business in the last year shipping Lester's to expats in the US. (Another area where there's no debate: Lester's is far superior to Schwartz's.)
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mr. CE just told me that he called Lester's and ordered 6 pounds of smoked meat from them. (They're not on Goldbelly so he did this directly.) Sadly he did not order any of their great rye bread but he did suggest we could eat it on bagels.)
Eek about yummy smoked meats on bagels. Except lox. Actually I wanted to know your cream cheese plan for the Montreal bagels unless it’s butter or if you’re making salads and spreads for them.

so I really think that rye or dark rye or pumpernickel is essential for smoked meat unless it’s consumed by itself. When I’ve hosted non-kosher (mixing milk and meat) break the fast, I’ve had bagels & spread plus rye & smoked meats. Yummy.

Originally Posted by TWA884
I'm really tempted to order the Lamb Shoulder Meal Kit from James Beard Award winner Chef Michael Solomonov's Zahav restaurant in Philadelphia, but it feeds six (their portions are generous, so it's way too much food for the two of us).
freezer for leftovers! Do it. Give in to temptation.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Eek about yummy smoked meats on bagels. Except lox. Actually I wanted to know your cream cheese plan for the Montreal bagels unless it’s butter or if you’re making salads and spreads for them.

so I really think that rye or dark rye or pumpernickel is essential for smoked meat unless it’s consumed by itself. When I’ve hosted non-kosher (mixing milk and meat) break the fast, I’ve had bagels & spread plus rye & smoked meats. Yummy.
Yeah, I'd only eat it on rye. For fresh bagels, I'm happy eating them plain...no toasting, no butter, no cream cheese. But I'll probably also do some with cream cheese and lox, and I'm sure Mr. CE will recreate our favorite bacon, egg and cheese bagel sandwiches from Beauty's in Montreal. (Also, this shouldn't even need to be said, but all 4 dozen are sesame.)
JBord likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
freezer for leftovers! Do it. Give in to temptation.
I really want to avoid refreezing the salads and sides which, unlike the lamb shoulder, come fully cooked, and we are about to embark on a major kitchen remodel so it going to be a challenge to reheat leftovers in a toaster oven plus freezer space is going to be tight for the next couple of months, but when we finish...
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I'd only eat it on rye. For fresh bagels, I'm happy eating them plain...no toasting, no butter, no cream cheese. But I'll probably also do some with cream cheese and lox, and I'm sure Mr. CE will recreate our favorite bacon, egg and cheese bagel sandwiches from Beauty's in Montreal. (Also, this shouldn't even need to be said, but all 4 dozen are sesame.)
oh wow, I’m impressed about eating the bagels plain. I love them toasted with stuff, at least butter. Where will you get the cream cheese and lox?
the sesame thing is... unexpected. I like bagel variety :-)
I guess that we sadly are not the same people. Sigh :-)

I really want to avoid refreezing the salads and sides which, unlike the lamb shoulder, come fully cooked, and we are about to embark on a major kitchen remodel so it going to be a challenge to reheat leftovers in a toaster oven plus freezer space is going to be tight for the next couple of months, but when we finish...
Happy kitchen remodel! Super fun.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have nothing to base this on but I don't know if I would like frozen and reheated cooked lamb. I don't often freeze cooked meals. I try to make what I can finish eating without having to do that...but I happen to like leftovers, too.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:43 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
I’m thinking if we can travel to my sister-in-law’s for Thanksgiving and Zahav is still doing Goldbelly at that point I will order one as a “hostess gift”.
corky and TWA884 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Mr. CE just told me that he called Lester's and ordered 6 pounds of smoked meat from them. (They're not on Goldbelly so he did this directly.) Sadly he did not order any of their great rye bread but he did suggest we could eat it on bagels.
Didn't know this was possible. I'm tempted, although technically on a January calorie count after the holidays.

Eek about yummy smoked meats on bagels. Except lox.
I believe Lox is cured (salt and sugar?), not smoked. I actually prefer that to smoked salmon on a bagel. But I'm not turning down either one!

(Also, this shouldn't even need to be said, but all 4 dozen are sesame.)
The king of bagels. And the salt bagel is queen. Plain is acceptable. Any others are toss-ins to calm the uncouth.
chgoeditor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.