Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Large Cuts of Meat Trimming" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
No one would think twice about a beef sandwich with mustard. Why object to the same condiment on a steak?
gaobest likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Badenoch
No one would think twice about a beef sandwich with mustard. Why object to the same condiment on a steak?
I’m very happy you mentioned this!

I enjoy mustard with a COLD roast beef sandwich. When I’ve had HOT roast beef, it’s usually with a different starch (potato / rice) or with a separate gluten roll albeit not as a sandwich. And when HOT, not with mustard.
this is a good Seinfeld question! Well maybe he’s already covered it.

I’ve sometimes had a steak sandwich but NOT with mustard. Usually it’s a warm sandwich.

here’s an idea - sometimes people eat a cold turkey sandwich with mayonaise - I’ve even seen cold roast beef sandwiches with mayonaise. Yet we also don’t see mayo with a hot turkey or roast beef entree.

one thing that goes with almost any sauce in HOT condition - a burger! Yet when one eats a “hamburger steak,” usually they don’t have it with condiments other than ketchup.

We never have had such deep / degenerate / depressing / useless conversations on ft before March 2020. Wow. Go us! We are the champions!!
Old Jun 20, 2020, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I don't use mustard on a beef sandwich of any sort, other than a hamburger or cheeseburger.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’ve never been a fan of mustard on most things. Maybe some spicy deli mustard on a Costco dog, or mixed in sauces, etc. I have to scrape it off burgers if it’s on it.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’ve never been a fan of mustard on most things. Maybe some spicy deli mustard on a Costco dog, or mixed in sauces, etc. I have to scrape it off burgers if it’s on it.
what about corned beef or pastrami ? Those 2 are perfect mustard vehicles IMO.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Steak and mustard go very well together but not any mustard it has to be English mustard.

That said I much prefer horseradish.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I won't add it to a burger, but if it's on there, I won't scrape it off.
Originally Posted by corky
I can deal with it there.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: Free agent
A sharp mustard goes well as a light dip for steak.

I grabbed and broke down a full pork loin for a Father's Day request and my knife was basically rounded afterwards.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
You say that like it is a bad thing.
Well it's all personal preference, but why bother forking out for an expensive cut of steak if you're going to smother it in other stuff. Especially a cut of meat that has as subtle a flavour as eye filet.

All those other things, chimmichurri, gravy, bernaise etc are fine on the right steak, but again, put them on eye fillet and tell me you can taste the steak.

I've never understood America's obsession with putting blue cheese on absolutely everything, but I think that's a different thread.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
Well it's all personal preference, but why bother forking out for an expensive cut of steak if you're going to smother it in other stuff. Especially a cut of meat that has as subtle a flavour as eye filet.

All those other things, chimmichurri, gravy, bernaise etc are fine on the right steak, but again, put them on eye fillet and tell me you can taste the steak.

I've never understood America's obsession with putting blue cheese on absolutely everything, but I think that's a different thread.
I wouldn't put sauces on a flavorful rib eye ...maybe just some grilled onions . But a filet is very light on flavor IMO. Yes, it is extremely tender but a bit bland. I almost never buy filet...but if I do, it needs flavor help. It is too lean--fat=flavor.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't put sauces on a flavorful rib eye ...
Hooray! We agree.

Like you, I don't buy eye fillet it's expensive and it's got no flavour.

Next stop: Grass fed v grain fed.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ooh I love mustard on most sandwiches including burgers.

and I think I would need mustard for pastrami sandwich and corned beef sandwich. They’re also both best with bread for a sandwich.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest

and I think I would need mustard for pastrami sandwich and corned beef sandwich. They’re also both best with bread for a sandwich.
Yes you are correct--that's what I meant....specifically rye bread. Even without bread both corned beef and pastrami are some pretty awesome meats.
You do have to go to Langers the next time you are down here.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes you are correct--that's what I meant....specifically rye bread. Even without bread both corned beef and pastrami are some pretty awesome meats.
You do have to go to Langers the next time you are down here.
well, I think they’re less great when not a sandwich. I’ve had corned beef and cabbage and really just prefer the sandwich form despite my love of chicken stews, short rib stew, oxtail stew, and other stewed meats.

It’ll be fun to compare canters and langer’s for sure.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
well, I think they’re less great when not a sandwich. I’ve had corned beef and cabbage and really just prefer the sandwich form despite my love of chicken stews, short rib stew, oxtail stew, and other stewed meats.

It’ll be fun to compare canters and langer’s for sure.
Corned beef is very good on sandwiches, but corned beef with mash and vegetables or corned beef with white sauce is a pub staple. And around this time of year it hits the spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.