Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite Breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: NZ Koru, Accor Platinum
Great thread trooper.
As someone who spends around 90 nights in hotels a year, I'm a sucker for a great Eggs Benne with Bacon and have had some exceptional variations of this dish, as well as some absoluty shockers! Fortunate to try some of the best cafes in towns that I visit, so always on the hunt (Vudu Cafe & Larder in Queenstown is one of the best!) for the perfect breakfast. When flying before lunchtime I'll usually go Yogurt/Fruit bowl at the lounge.
That said, New Years Resolution is to eat better when I'm on the road-Muesli/Granola/Eggs with Salmon.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It so depends on the circumstances. A cold winter's day on the road, or even at home, a lovely cooked breakfast is to die for (and, if I eat too many, no doubt I will...). But one of the most idyllic breakfasts I have ever had was on a terrace overlooking Orvieto, with fresh fruit juice, ripe tomatoes, perfect olive oil and wonderful breads, as well as home made jam and marmalade. Perfection.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Half a grapefruit, preferably ruby red. Half a banana. Two poached eggs. Two cups of dark roast coffee. A cup of Knudsen vegetable juice.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Fragrant Thai rice soup, or Chinese-Thai spicy pork egg noodle soup. Thai breakfast omelets with some chili sauce is to die for too (khai jiaw).

Pho Ga isn't too bad either for when no decent Thai food is available.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:59 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Mysore style masala dosa, naturally with a sambar. Maybe some vada on the side to fill you up. South India knows how to start the day.

<hungry now>
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
That breakfast looks good to me. I'm a fan of the traditional English, Irish, or American breakfast. I'll loosely define and generalize those as containing eggs, some type of breakfast meat, some type of potato (or beans), and toast.

Pancakes, waffles, etc. are for kids or dessert!
"traditional English" - had a variety of experiences with those aggregations of fat and salt last year. No, thank you. Will never understand baked beans for breakfast, and wouldn't touch a fried egg for love or money. <gag!>

I make pancakes at least 3x/week, generally include include almond meal for a higher protein pancake (better for maintaining a stable blood sugar). Add chocolate chips to the kid's pancakes, top with fresh fruit, occasionally add crisp bacon (why is British bacon served limp and half raw?), a pot of tea and in an ideal world, a proper Sunday paper with a good crossword puzzle.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Add chocolate chips to the kid's pancakes, top with fresh fruit, occasionally add crisp bacon (why is British bacon served limp and half raw?), a pot of tea and in an ideal world, a proper Sunday paper with a good crossword puzzle.
"British bacon" is back bacon, the same as Canadian bacon. It's much more akin to a slice of ham than belly bacon, which is where American (or "streaky" as the Brits call it) bacon comes from. So it's a little harder to crisp up without adding fat I imagine. But I'd also suggest that we Americans over-cook our bacon. It should really never be hard. If you hold it at one end, it shouldn't stand up straight. At this point you've basically burnt the meat. It's a funny thing, because we wouldn't cook any other meat to that degree of done-ness. And it's so much more flavorful if you stop it a minute or two sooner.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
"British bacon" is back bacon, the same as Canadian bacon. It's much more akin to a slice of ham than belly bacon, which is where American (or "streaky" as the Brits call it) bacon comes from. So it's a little harder to crisp up without adding fat I imagine. But I'd also suggest that we Americans over-cook our bacon. It should really never be hard. If you hold it at one end, it shouldn't stand up straight. At this point you've basically burnt the meat. It's a funny thing, because we wouldn't cook any other meat to that degree of done-ness. And it's so much more flavorful if you stop it a minute or two sooner.
I disagree with your generalizations. Without exception all the British breakfasts I've had on multiple trips to the UK included the same type of bacon my local supermarket sells, so while there may be two varieties of bacon in Britain, the British bacon I was writing about is simply undercooked - as in the fat is still white, not translucent - bacon as it is commonly known, not a variation on the product also known as Canadian bacon.

As for over-cooked, that's a matter of definition and of taste. For example, crisp along the edges and hard are not same thing IMO.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
In no particular order.

Porridge with - otherwise known as oatmeal with single malt scotch poured over the top

Chicken and waffles - although good any meal

Biscuits and gravy

I probably eat these less than once a year for obvious reasons. Although I had chicken and waffles for brunch at a Michelin starred restaurant last Sunday.

For more realistic splurges full English or eggs Benedict.

Typical breakfast, oatmeal and a Siggi vanilla yogurt.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Sunday paper with a good crossword puzzle.
I left that off of mine. I'll also take a mediocre daily crossword if it's not Sunday. And the Jumble. I leave Sudoku for the Mrs. unless she's away and it's all mine.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
The only thing that would improve a full English (IMO) would be the addition of a potato product...hash browns..home fries.....
Potato scones. Loved in Scotland...great.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
i like a full english breakfast!
Pass on the black pudding though.
That is considered heresy. Black pudding makes the meal a meal.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Whenever I roam downtown Los Angeles on the weekend, Eggslut's coddled egg on potato puree with gravy and a baguette always hits the spot!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:28 pm

Nothing beats a Loco Moco for me though I don't make them at home much.

Steak and eggs my local favorite
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Everything bagel toasted. Cream cheese. Smoked salmon topped with hard boiled egg, cucumbers and capers. Mmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.