Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Breakfast "Sandwich"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Is Portuguese chorizo the same as the Portuguese sausage one finds all over Hawaii or are they two different things?
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
That's probably linguica.
Choriço is more chile or paprika seasoned than linguica, but the consistency and style are similar, at least compared with the Mexican stuff, which is almost like a meat-based chile paste in a casing.

I grew up in SoCalif, and learned about chorizo when it was virtually unknown among non-Mexicans. You can imagine my surprise the first time I ordered a dish on the east coast that listed chorizo. This would've been back in the 80s in NYC or NJ or thereabouts, when real Mexican food was still largely unavailable.

What I got was delicious, but I knew nothing about the Portuguese stuff, so it was a surprise. I still regard it as one of my best early educational travel experiences

Which reminds me. Another breakfast "sandwich" I love is a machaca con huevos burrito. Yum.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
OK, Is Portuguese chorizo the same as the linguica one finds all over Hawaii or are they two different things?
The sausage I've seen frequently in Hawaii is linguica, and it appears to be a slightly different sausage from Portugese chorizo, which I've never personally eaten.

CHOURICO: Made from the same good meats as Linguica, Chourico (pronounced shoor-reese) has a heartier spiced flavor. Its main difference from Linguica is that it is a hot sausage whereas Linguica is mild. Gaspar's Chourico is available in mild, regular and extra hot versions and the regular is available as round patties, franks, and ground in addition to the traditional sausage shape!
http://www.gasparssausage.com/ourproducts.html
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
One of my favorite breakfast sandwiches is the ITALIAN FRITTATA Sandwich from "Le Boulanger" in Northern California:

Ciabatta with sausage and red pepper omelette and provolone and Italian cheeses

Great with a little Tabasco for spice.

Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:12 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The sausage I've seen frequently in Hawaii is linguica, and it appears to be a slightly different sausage from Portugese chorizo, which I've never personally eaten.

http://www.gasparssausage.com/ourproducts.html
Just happened to be passing through a Chowhound thread about this stuff...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by phillygold
Don't do it! Life is worth living! Now, slowly walk away from the stove...
You're right...must have been the lack of meat clouding my judgment

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
breakfast concoction is such a better word than goop.
But goop is easier to remember, especially first thing in the morning. No, your concoction was a true lifesaver this weekend when I was focused on holiday cooking (which usually means that I spend all day cooking but then have nothing to eat).

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Just happened to be passing through a Chowhound thread about this stuff...
I love Chowhound. It's the first place that I check out when I know that I'll be travelling. Priorities. "Where am I going to eat?"

To throw another chorizo into the mix there's also Spanish chorizo which is more like an actual sausage (but with a prominent paprika flavor).

Doc savage...that Italian Frittata sandwich looks divine. I'd add some zucchini to the mix as a personal preference.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Stop into any deli in NYC and ask for a baconeggandcheese on a roll. (Yes, the bacon, egg and cheese is all lumped together as one word).
Absolutely. While way too fattening to eat on a regular basis, it is delicious.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by indianwells
I love nothing more than a good BLT with American streaky bacon done really crisp on toasted bread.
I was working on my version last summer, which I call a PAT:

Pancetta, Arugula and Tomato.

Served on grilled sourdough with mayo.

It was good, but I think I'll be reverting to streky bacon this Summer.

This is a Summer only sandwhich for me as it is requires top quality tomatoes, which we only get in the Summer months.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stop into any deli in NYC and ask for a baconeggandcheese on a roll. (Yes, the bacon, egg and cheese is all lumped together as one word). With a regular coffee.
Sometimes a novice will ask for it on a bagel. They soon discover that the hole can make things messy!
Here in jersey we substitute the bacon for pork roll. (Taylor ham). Nothing wrong with ordering it in on a bagel as long as the hole is as tight as a balloon knot.

My local bagel guy makes a great pre&c with 2 freshly fried eggs, not a scrambled mess for $3.75 and I can skip lunch.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:58 am

You had me until the meat.

My favourite French street food is from one of the trucks on the beach at Antibes, serving your sandwich on a baguette, minus the meats, but served Américain (the French term for fries/frites stuffed inside a sandwich)
Old May 8, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), DL GLD, AL GLD, SPG GLD, HY DMD, MRTT PLAT
Bagel, veg egg white from Noah's
Old May 30, 2014, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Runny yolks are gross. Just sayin' ...

My ultimate breakfast sandwich:

"Everything" bagel
Fried egg over hard
Swiss cheese
Canadian bacon
Béchamel sauce
Dash of Cholula Green Pepper Hot Sauce

Mmm ... heaven!
Old May 31, 2014, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by vasantn
Runny yolks are gross. Just sayin' ...

My ultimate breakfast sandwich:

"Everything" bagel
Fried egg over hard
Swiss cheese
Canadian bacon
Béchamel sauce
Dash of Cholula Green Pepper Hot Sauce

Mmm ... heaven!
What's gross is runny whites! I love an egg over easy, but if I see any part of the white that's uncooked, it makes me want to gag.

Anyway, your sandwich would be so much better with a runny yolk (and some other brand of hot sauce)!
Old May 31, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by exbayern
You had me until the meat.

My favourite French street food is from one of the trucks on the beach at Antibes, serving your sandwich on a baguette, minus the meats, but served Américain (the French term for fries/frites stuffed inside a sandwich)
Food sounds good but anything at the beach in Juan-les-Pins is going to taste good - Bonjour, le repas!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA
I am with vasantn; I like my fried eggs over hard, absolutely no runny yolk. My perfect breakfast sandwich is a fried egg sandwich --- over hard, on toast, either butter or mayo, ketchup, maybe a slice of cheese. I'm not a big ketchup consumer (though I do like it on my hot dogs ), but a fried egg sandwich has to have ketchup to remind me of my dad.

Still planning to try Sweet Willie's breakfast sandwich recipe. Second favorite after fried egg is a sandwich made with an onion bagel and either cream cheese and nova salmon or some combination of meat, cheese, and lettuce.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:21 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I was working on my version last summer, which I call a PAT:

Pancetta, Arugula and Tomato.

Served on grilled sourdough with mayo.

It was good, but I think I'll be reverting to streky bacon this Summer.

This is a Summer only sandwhich for me as it is requires top quality tomatoes, which we only get in the Summer months.
Nothing beats a fresh tomato. The storebought ones are just so bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.