FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   The Ultimate Breakfast "Sandwich" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1568601-ultimate-breakfast-sandwich.html)

TMOliver Apr 12, 2014 9:24 am

The Ultimate Breakfast "Sandwich"

Split a "Bollito" (large Mexican version of a French Roll).

Lightly butter one side and cover the other side with sharp Cheddar.

Heat in 350F oven until the cheese melts and the crust becomes "crusty"

Meanwhile, gather: sliced ripe tomato, a couple of slices of crisp bacon, a slice of "fried" ham, and a gently fried egg "over medium" (That's what the leftover bacon grease is for!).

Assemble: Tomato atop bacon atop cheese, then ham then egg (liberally sauced with a good jalapeno/tomatillo salsa verde), then the buttered top of the roll.

Eat quickly, leaning forward, and hoping that any runny yolk is absorbed by the roll.

ILuvParis Apr 13, 2014 9:40 am

I make a variation of this once or twice a week and not always just for breakfast - I've never used bacon and ham, however - just one or the other. Sometimes, I use a toasted bagel, sometimes an English muffin. If I'm doing low carbs, I'll use sandwich thins or make it open face. The cheddar has to be extra sharp and the egg has to be runny. :)

mwsea Apr 13, 2014 9:54 am

Sounds absolutely delicious. I usually have mine without runny yolks for portability purposes but the yolk is a good touch.

BuildingMyBento Apr 13, 2014 10:10 am

Ful might be my favored breakfast sandwich. Had it about three times a day, err, morning, in Egypt.

milepig Apr 14, 2014 9:24 am

Originally Posted by TMOliver (Post 22693413)
Split a "Bollito" (large Mexican version of a French Roll).

Lightly butter one side and cover the other side with sharp Cheddar.

Heat in 350F oven until the cheese melts and the crust becomes "crusty"

Meanwhile, gather: sliced ripe tomato, a couple of slices of crisp bacon, a slice of "fried" ham, and a gently fried egg "over medium" (That's what the leftover bacon grease is for!).

Assemble: Tomato atop bacon atop cheese, then ham then egg (liberally sauced with a good jalapeno/tomatillo salsa verde), then the buttered top of the roll.

Eat quickly, leaning forward, and hoping that any runny yolk is absorbed by the roll.

As one who can barely hit the "brew" button on my automated coffee station in the morning while remembering to put the coffee cup under the spout, this is waaaay beyond my 8:00am capabilities.

phillygold Apr 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Stop into any deli in NYC and ask for a baconeggandcheese on a roll. (Yes, the bacon, egg and cheese is all lumped together as one word). With a regular coffee.
Sometimes a novice will ask for it on a bagel. They soon discover that the hole can make things messy!

uk1 Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Both a breakfast and supper sandwich. i've been really impressed with some Oscar Meyer American style bacon I've recently discovered in the UK. It's a sort of dry cured smokey streaky bacon, thickly cut that you can fry, and it produces lots of fat which I pour off and save for other things.

I chop the bacon up and fry it with some fine chopped red onion, let it cool, mix it with some grated Red Leicester cheese which I top on some toast that I've buttered and put a smear of Dijon mustard on and then put it into an airfryer for a minute or two. That cooks the toping and crisps the toast. It's a sort of croque but with no egg in the mix, so no souffle.

I keep a cup of the topping in the fridge for another night. It is lovely.

aBroadAbroad Apr 14, 2014 10:46 pm

Bread is a rare treat for me, so I seldom eat sandwiches, but I cannot refuse a super fresh, high quality, toasted bagel (preferably sesame) topped with good cream cheese, a bit of thinly sliced onion, a pile of lox, and loads of capers.

Yum.

uk1 Apr 15, 2014 1:33 am

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad (Post 22706010)
Bread is a rare treat for me, so I seldom eat sandwiches, but I cannot refuse a super fresh, high quality, toasted bagel (preferably sesame) topped with good cream cheese, a bit of thinly sliced onion, a pile of lox, and loads of capers.

Yum.

^:)

indianwells Apr 15, 2014 8:40 am

I love nothing more than a good BLT with American streaky bacon done really crisp on toasted bread.

bones718 Apr 15, 2014 12:17 pm

come in to any deli in nyc and ask for a sausage or bacon egg on a roll. for most of us on the go, this is our ultimate no fuss bfast.

Sweet Willie Apr 16, 2014 6:48 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento (Post 22697619)
Ful might be my favored breakfast sandwich. Had it about three times a day, err, morning, in Egypt.

What type of bread is the ful spread on?

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 22702313)
As one who can barely hit the "brew" button on my automated coffee station in the morning while remembering to put the coffee cup under the spout, this is waaaay beyond my 8:00am capabilities.

perhaps try making my breakfast goop to place on a tortilla and nuke for less than 1 minute for a breakfast taco:

In one pot, I'll sauté:
chorizo
vegetarian chorizo (keeps the recipe healthy(er))
diced chilies (Serrano or Jalapeno, as well as poblano)
diced onion
then add: sliced mushrooms & sauté for a bit more
then add: 1 can of refried beans (I really like black beans (lowfat, tons of flavor) but will use fat free pinto as well)
1 cup of shredded cheese.

The whole concoction becomes goop which is DELICIOUS on a tortilla.

The goop becomes firm when put in fridge, so I scoop a bit out the following mornings, place on a tortilla, nuke the tortilla & mixture, and there you go, a tasty breakfast taco in less than 1 minute for my weekday breakfasts. The beans and chorizo have the satisfying protein that I crave in the mornings.

rsqrott Apr 16, 2014 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie (Post 22712830)
perhaps try making my breakfast goop to place on a tortilla and nuke for less than 1 minute for a breakfast taco:

In one pot, I'll sauté:
chorizo
vegetarian chorizo (keeps the recipe healthy(er))
diced chilies (Serrano or Jalapeno, as well as poblano)
diced onion
then add: sliced mushrooms & sauté for a bit more
then add: 1 can of refried beans (I really like black beans (lowfat, tons of flavor) but will use fat free pinto as well)
1 cup of shredded cheese.

The whole concoction becomes goop which is DELICIOUS on a tortilla.

The goop becomes firm when put in fridge, so I scoop a bit out the following mornings, place on a tortilla, nuke the tortilla & mixture, and there you go, a tasty breakfast taco in less than 1 minute for my weekday breakfasts. The beans and chorizo have the satisfying protein that I crave in the mornings.

Oh my, this is a WONDERFUL idea! I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

Except for the vegetarian chorizo...which I'll skip entirely. I'm one of those people that delights in good vegetarian meals but cannot stand any "vegetarian" meat-esque products. If chorizo goes in, it's going to be the real deal :).

But thanks for the recipe idea!

As far as the "classic" baconeggandcheese on a roll, it can be elevated even more by adding chili. Just make sure the roll is up to the task.

Sweet Willie Apr 16, 2014 10:51 am

Originally Posted by rsqrott (Post 22713057)
I'm one of those people that delights in good vegetarian meals but cannot stand any "vegetarian" meat-esque products. If chorizo goes in, it's going to be the real deal :).

I'm the same way, I have detested every meat substitute product I've tried, however the soy chorizo made by Cacique is very good IF (repeat if) mixed with other items: http://caciqueinc.com/products/cacique-soy-chorizo
-

roastpuff Apr 16, 2014 10:59 am

How about a Grand Slam sandwich? It's like a McGriddle but even better...

http://flyanddine.boardingarea.com/w...7-1024x680.jpg
http://flyanddine.boardingarea.com/r...le-grand-slam/