Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best upscale chain steakhouse?

Best upscale chain steakhouse?

Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by nyc2socal
3. Cooking element. Very hard to do a "black and blue" at home or on the grill.. Not many non-commercial appliances can go over 1500 degrees.. Something about residential fire hazard..
There are many, myself included, who think this is an absolutely terrible method to cook a steak.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by braslvr
There are many, myself included, who think this is an absolutely terrible method to cook a steak.
Don't quite get your comment. There are many, myself included that think it's a great way to eat a steak..
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by jologolf212
I think Ma Peche is not worth it. Not sure how much longer it will be around. It's in the old Towne space. If I had to rank the Momofuku empire from NYC I would say Ko then Ssam Bar then Ma Peche then Noodle Bar. Ko truly is special but very limited seating makes it difficult to get a reservation.

On a side note, Book of Mormon's is excellent. Problem with theater district is the lack of really good food. Not that you are looking for suggestions pre or post theater but I would recommend Esca. That area really hurts for good food.
jologolf: Esca was excellent! We moved our reservation up to 5:15 just to be safe, and had plenty of time to eat and walk over to Eugene O'Neill theater for the 7:00 show.

http://www.esca-nyc.com/

We started with the Crudo tasting, which I highly recommend. 6 different selections chosen by the chef, and all were very good (well, mackerel was not to our taste). They had gotten fresh John Dory that day ('very rare to see' according to the waiter) and they brought us each a tasting of this as well. It was probably our favorite. Very fresh, excellent flavor.

This was followed by the selections below. (I don't list what the kids ordered off menu: buttered pasta... They ate the salads first, and the chicken to go with the pasta and were perfectly happy.)

The only dish that was not to our liking was the squid ink spaghetti. Cooked very nicely, but overly salty.

The monkfish was fantastic.

Service was excellent as well, our waiter going out of his way to make sure we were happy. (brought tastings of multiple wines for both of us until we arrived at one we liked. Took our order initially, then came back and suggested we cancel one item and change the timing so make sure we got out on time.)

Excellent whole wheat focaccia.

Verdura Mista
Organic salad of fall vegetables, sheep's milk ricotta and herb garden vinaigrette

Insalata Di Amara
Salad of Italian and local fall greens, butternut squash and apple cider vinaigrette

Spaghetti Neri
Squid ink spaghetti with seppia, green chilis and scallions

Bucatini
House made fat spaghetti with Rita’s spicy octopus sauce

Pescatrice
Whole pan roasted local monkfish with Nueske’s smoked bacon, red cippoline and sage

Pollo
Four story hills farm chicken with primo olives, fregula and lemon

Yes, this is completely off topic. Sorry.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by nyc2socal
Don't quite get your comment. There are many, myself included that think it's a great way to eat a steak..
Yes, I know. Enough that it has become the default method at high end steakhouses in the US. I only commented because your post suggested that that cooking method was one of the 3 main reasons that a high end steakhouse is superior to grilling at home. I was pointing out that it is by far the biggest reason I and many others shun such establishments.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
jologolf: Esca was excellent! We moved our reservation up to 5:15 just to be safe, and had plenty of time to eat and walk over to Eugene O'Neill theater for the 7:00 show.

http://www.esca-nyc.com/

We started with the Crudo tasting, which I highly recommend. 6 different selections chosen by the chef, and all were very good (well, mackerel was not to our taste). They had gotten fresh John Dory that day ('very rare to see' according to the waiter) and they brought us each a tasting of this as well. It was probably our favorite. Very fresh, excellent flavor.

This was followed by the selections below. (I don't list what the kids ordered off menu: buttered pasta... They ate the salads first, and the chicken to go with the pasta and were perfectly happy.)

The only dish that was not to our liking was the squid ink spaghetti. Cooked very nicely, but overly salty.

The monkfish was fantastic.

Service was excellent as well, our waiter going out of his way to make sure we were happy. (brought tastings of multiple wines for both of us until we arrived at one we liked. Took our order initially, then came back and suggested we cancel one item and change the timing so make sure we got out on time.)

Excellent whole wheat focaccia.

Verdura Mista
Organic salad of fall vegetables, sheep's milk ricotta and herb garden vinaigrette

Insalata Di Amara
Salad of Italian and local fall greens, butternut squash and apple cider vinaigrette

Spaghetti Neri
Squid ink spaghetti with seppia, green chilis and scallions

Bucatini
House made fat spaghetti with Rita’s spicy octopus sauce

Pescatrice
Whole pan roasted local monkfish with Nueske’s smoked bacon, red cippoline and sage

Pollo
Four story hills farm chicken with primo olives, fregula and lemon

Yes, this is completely off topic. Sorry.
Awesome! Glad you liked it.
Love Esca. Realizing Esca is Italian and Le Bern is French, I think Esca is 90% Le Bern at 30% the price. Yes, Completely off topic.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Of all the chains, Mastro's is my favorite. When you walk through that door you can smell that aged beef aroma...damn, now I need to make a reservation for next week.

My favorite restaurant is Lawry's. I don't know if it counts as a steak house. I've been going to the Beverly Hills location for 35 years. On a rare occasion (pardon the pun), you can get a medium-rare end cut which, in my opinion, is the best tasting cut of beef out there. Love their salad and mashed potatoes too.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:02 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by greg0ire
Of all the chains, Mastro's is my favorite. When you walk through that door you can smell that aged beef aroma...damn, now I need to make a reservation for next week.
A few years ago my wife and I sat down in the Beverly Hills glassed in room upstairs fairly early, about 6pm. We were the only people at the time in the room. Just about five minutes after arriving a chef came into the room with a sizzling cast iron pan, with nothing in it other than meat drippings and garlic. His task it appeared was to allow that aroma in infuse itself in the room. He then exited the glass door and took about a 30 second lap through the main upstairs dining room.

Thought it was a great marketing strategy.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Moderator2
A few years ago my wife and I sat down in the Beverly Hills glassed in room upstairs fairly early, about 6pm. We were the only people at the time in the room. Just about five minutes after arriving a chef came into the room with a sizzling cast iron pan, with nothing in it other than meat drippings and garlic. His task it appeared was to allow that aroma in infuse itself in the room. He then exited the glass door and took about a 30 second lap through the main upstairs dining room.

Thought it was a great marketing strategy.
That's terrific...fyi, I remember going to Fromins on occasion in the 80s. We were members of Maarev Temple nearby. I believe it's a big empty lot now.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by greg0ire
That's terrific...fyi, I remember going to Fromins on occasion in the 80s. We were members of Maarev Temple nearby. I believe it's a big empty lot now.

My wife and I still visit "Uncle Bernies" / "Fromins" about 7-8 times a year. We started going there in 1986 when we moved in together just north of the restaurant on White Oak.

The same waiter - "Hal" who served us in the 80's is still there. He started working there in 1980. Thirty-four years as a waiter in the same deli. That is amazing! And I'm pretty sure Hal is no older than 61 years old. The Fromins' family sold the Encino restaurant ten years ago (and that has since changed hands). However they still run a store in Santa Monica.

As to the temple, I'm not 100% positive but I think it still exists, but may have moved into a building just past where it used to sit, on Magnolia - slightly east of White Oak.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I agree all around, though when in NYC, I much prefer Keens Steakhouse. I can't complain about Del Frisco's. I have also had pretty good meals at various Fleming's.
I just felt the need to reply after going to Keens in NYC and spending like $80 on a single huge steak (and sharing it with my girlfriend). The steak is a bit too....I don't know, in your face it felt like? And then I realized halfway through that they obviously don't use a grill here, they cook this in a pan (or something).

I wasn't all that impressed and neither was my girlfriend. We are interested in trying a good place out.

I know J Alexanders is not exactly upscale upscale, but I have had better steaks there than the one at Keens.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
When in NYC, and you know with enough advanced notice to make a reservation, Peter Lugers in Brooklyn is where I go for steaks.. period...
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Originally Posted by factory81
I just felt the need to reply after going to Keens in NYC and spending like $80 on a single huge steak (and sharing it with my girlfriend). The steak is a bit too....I don't know, in your face it felt like? And then I realized halfway through that they obviously don't use a grill here, they cook this in a pan (or something).

I wasn't all that impressed and neither was my girlfriend. We are interested in trying a good place out.

I know J Alexanders is not exactly upscale upscale, but I have had better steaks there than the one at Keens.
They do have a special method for cooking steaks at Keen's. http://screen.yahoo.com/steakhouse-s...100000346.html

We use this method at home with bacon wrapped filets, and get excellent results.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Originally Posted by factory81

+1 for J. Alexander's. I have been to both the Troy, MI and Franklin, TN locations multiple times, and the food and service have always been quite good. They also have a surprisingly good wine list for what is essentially an upscale family dining chain.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:11 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Nothing To Even Discuss Here...

Originally Posted by CMK10
Mastro's is my favorite
There Bone-In-Filet (dry aged) is simply the best!!!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Virtuoso,Stars,Belmond Bellini,Dorchester Diamond,FSPP, Pen Club, Rosewood Elite, Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by JimJ321
Not to be a hater, but I am looking forward the Chicago Steakhouse menu at Next. I guess that is 1985, but then again every time I see steak tartare on the menu I get it and think back to the great scene with Gordon Gekko and Buddy from Wall Street.
Back on topic - I really enjoy Capital Grille. Consistently good experience, great lobster Mac and cheese side dish and they treat you like royalty if you're celebrating a special occasion. Took my wife for her bday a few years ago to the ORD location and we still talk about it : rose petals on the table upon arrival, comp flute of champagne, pineapple vodka drink and dessert. They even took a photo of us which we kept on our fridge for a few weeks (to remember the great experience and also help us avoid eating fatty food as we went nuts that night!)
Did you end up making it to Next 'Chicago Steakhouse'? I wasn't that impressed. Del Frisco's wins for me. The tomahawk steak is pretty perfect...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.