Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Favorite Rum and Rum Recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Favorite Rum and Rum Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:21 pm

If Zacapa is a cane rum, I retract my statement. I was thinking of 10 Cane and some other light rum that had 'cane' all over they label. Both bloody awful ! I really like RZ Centanario 23, but it's pricey and calling something 23 years old that has been in a solera is cheating. The oldest drop in the vat is 23 and the youngest is 6, so it's really 14.5 or so. It used to have true barrel aging (it was 26, the 1st time I had it) and wasn't so dark and sweet. Pretty hard to argue with success though.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
If Zacapa is a cane rum, I retract my statement. I was thinking of 10 Cane and some other light rum that had 'cane' all over they label. Both bloody awful.
I'm in the BA F lounge and saw a bottle of Zapaca XO sitting on the shelf so I poured myself a glass. I just got off a long haul flight and I'm a bit out of sorts, but it does taste pretty good. And it says right on the bottle "virgin sugar cane honey". I agree that this should be taken straight. No mixers!

And I agree that 10 Cane isn't that good at all. And I agree with EuropeanPete that everyone has their own taste! I just wanted to say that the Rhum Agricole options I noted above taste especially good and as someone who began my rum career in the US, it was quite a surprise to me to find that I didn't care much for molasses based rums and loved cane based rums from Martinique, Guadeloupe and Reunion. Everyone should give these a try if you haven't already.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Just had some Centenario XX (20) tonight, it was the highest rated at the bar vs. Zacapa 23, Zaya, Flor de Cana 18 and Santa Teresa.

There are better rums than Cetenario XX out there, but at the price point would be tough to beat. Note, the price from highest to lowest was Flor de Cana, Zacapa, Santa Teresa, Centenario, Zaya; but the rating was Centenario, Zacapa, Zaya, Flor de Cana, Santa Teresa.

It was a blind taste test, 2 out of 5 thought they where drinking whisky, not uncommon I have found.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AA, DL
Nicaragua has some good rum
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by Petalumatool
One Barrel Rum from Belize Yumm
I bought the 5 Barrel rum at the airport..It was unbelievable and only like $8 a bottle!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:17 pm

I think it is time for a Rum Do, any takers?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Pyrat XO neat or with 1 or 2 cubes is my favorite sipping rum.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by owflyer
I think it is time for a Rum Do, any takers?
If we have it in Martinique or Guadeloupe I might be going in January or Feb on a business trip. (What's the emoticon for "I HOPE!"?)
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
If we have it in Martinique or Guadeloupe I might be going in January or Feb on a business trip. (What's the emoticon for "I HOPE!"?)
My take would be somewhere in Central America as I have some contacts there; PTY, SJO, GUA or as we say Abuelo, Centenarrio or Zacapa as a possible visit?

However for travel costs the DR may be optimum for all.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by owflyer
My take would be somewhere in Central America as I have some contacts there; PTY, SJO, GUA or as we say Abuelo, Centenarrio or Zacapa as a possible visit?

However for travel costs the DR may be optimum for all.
Why not HAV?

I would be a little interested in a Rum Do if I can make the dates, time, location, cost all work.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
I would have serious interest in a rum Do ... can certainly provide some
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, BA Silver
Never was very fond of rum, but the Ron Antiguo de Solera Santa Teresa 1796 from Venezuela was a whole new world for me, a fantastic rum which has nothing in common with the stuff we used to mix with coke.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Tortuga.. Cayman islands
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:15 pm

Another vote for Bundaberg Rum - it's an Australian brand - wish i could find it here in the US.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Auscal
Another vote for Bundaberg Rum - it's an Australian brand - wish i could find it here in the US.
I like Bundy, but honestly it's not good enough to drink straight (unless I'm desperate) (:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.