Consolidated "Favorite Rum and Rum Recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Favorite Rum and Rum Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was in Miami last weekend and had dinner at Ola where they are known for, among other things, their mojitos. They had a Deluxe one with Zacapa
Solera 23 rum from Guatemala which was absolutely excellent.

Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Mekong rum in Bangkok
. Delicious
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Mekong rum in Bangkok
. Delicious
Really ??? I've had worse - but it didn't come in a bottle. Thais don't even drink it much anymore as they prefer Sangsom. I consider it an outrage that it is mentioned with the fine quaffables on this thread
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
I just found this in my local liquor store. From Reunion.

And wow is it good. I can't wait to try the Opus 5 and the XO.

http://www.rivieredumat.com/notre-gamme/12
I had the XO recently. Fantastic. Shame it's no longer in production.

I'm a fan of Flor de Cana but I agree with others that the 18 year just feels like it's been sitting a bit too long.

I need to try more of the rhum agricoles.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Really ??? I've had worse - but it didn't come in a bottle. Thais don't even drink it much anymore as they prefer Sangsom. I consider it an outrage that it is mentioned with the fine quaffables on this thread
On a related note, Sangsom sell an aged version for export which actually tastes like normal, reasonable rum.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
My local liquor store is closing and everything is 20-30% off. I bought 4 bottles yesterday morning including a bottle of Angostura 1824 rum - paid under $50 for it and can't wait to try it.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
How's the Centenario rum from Costa Rica? I was at SJO last week and tempted to buy a bottle but I never see any locals drinking it.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Someone brought me a bottle of Brugal from the Dominican Republic last week and I have to say it goes down quite well.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by BamaVol
My local liquor store is closing and everything is 20-30% off. I bought 4 bottles yesterday morning including a bottle of Angostura 1824 rum - paid under $50 for it and can't wait to try it.
Pic me up a couple bottles of Veuve Rose, please.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Pic me up a couple bottles of Veuve Rose, please.
Anything made from grapes seems to have gone first.

It also helps to know what you're buying since he has moved product up from the bottom shelves as stock levels drop. At least one bottle I purchased was still too much after 25% off. But i viewed this as an opportunity to try a few new things and figured in general I would be ahead of the game. I have a couple bottles to give to my boys when they visit next. But i will be tasting them all before they leave.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Anything made from grapes seems to have gone first.

It also helps to know what you're buying since he has moved product up from the bottom shelves as stock levels drop. At least one bottle I purchased was still too much after 25% off. But i viewed this as an opportunity to try a few new things and figured in general I would be ahead of the game. I have a couple bottles to give to my boys when they visit next. But i will be tasting them all before they leave.
I found the same after a local chain announced they were closing in my area a year or so ago.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Jacky, have you tried the Cambodian made rum from Samai Distillery in P.P.? Very young and very nice. Also, the shop just across from Himawari has a great selection and is crazy cheap. I'm doing a serious rum list for my project down in Kep(if you're ever in the 'hood).
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:42 am

I get over to Kampot now and again. I'm mulling over moving there. I'm afraid I'll miss the beach. I swim about 5 miles/week. I'll pm you before I go sometime, shoot over to Kep, & bend some elbows w/ya. BTW, I haven't had the rum of which you speak. I'll be up in PP in a week or 2 and look for it. The best I can get here is the St James 'Hors D'Age, which ain't too shabby at all (especially since it costs about half what I paid wholesale in the States).
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:31 am

Ron Centenario Aņejo Especial
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My brother bought a bottle of the Bacardi 8 Anos. I had a drink tonight, quite delicious, and at only $22 at the local ABC Store, a very good deal.

http://www.bacardi.com/us/products/o...ct=8-a%C3%B1os

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.