Search

Consolidated "Favorite Rum and Rum Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Saint James 250th anniversary

So I saw this in my local grocery store.

And I googled around and found this and got a little excited about the price of €800, til I realized I'd found the €40 version. But still it was on sale for €25 so I bought it.

Comme le dit l'adage : « chez les grands, tout est grand » et c'est visiblement la réflexion que l'on s'est faite chez Saint-James. En effet, ce sont 2 nouvelles références qui font leur apparition dans une gamme déjà bien fournie.

Un assemblage « hommage » voit le jour pour célébrer la prospérité et le savoir-faire ancestral des plantations Saint-James. C'est donc ainsi que la Cuvée 1765 permet de savourer un assemblage de rhums vieillis au minimum 5 ans en petits fûts de chêne. Elle sera vendue au prix de 40€.

Mais cet anniversaire devait marquer les esprits, alors Marc Sassier, œnologue des plantations Saint-James a crée la Cuvée du 250 ème anniversaire, un assemblage des plus beaux millésimes de la maison.

Pour se faire, ce sont ses meilleures eaux-de-vie qui ont été rigoureusement assemblées pour donner naissance à ce lot exclusif composé de 800 bouteilles. Composé d'eaux-de-vie datant de 1885, 1934, 1952, 1976, 1998 et 2000, cette Cuvée 250 ème anniversaire sera vendue en exclusivité chez les cavistes au prix de 800 €.

I'd sure like to have a taste of the €800 bottles!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just opened this tasty bottle from Venezuela...

Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
Originally Posted by stimpy
Just opened this tasty bottle from Venezuela...

Deliciosa y muy bueno!!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
I'm not a connoisseur, but enjoy Havana Club or Flor de Cana aged seven years. There's a Haitian rum (Barbancourt?) that is tasty too.

Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
Old Monk - Indian Rum. Absolutely one of the best out there...
And crazy cheap. I lived in Hyderabad last year. After they split the new state of Telangana off from Andhra Pradesh, there was some tax controversy regarding Old Monk, and it was unavailable for quite a while. People were not pleased.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GatoAndaluz
I'm not a connoisseur, but enjoy Havana Club or Flor de Cana aged seven years. There's a Haitian rum (Barbancourt?) that is tasty too.

And crazy cheap. I lived in Hyderabad last year. After they split the new state of Telangana off from Andhra Pradesh, there was some tax controversy regarding Old Monk, and it was unavailable for quite a while. People were not pleased.
Another vote for Flor de Cana. For a day-to-day rum for us it's hard to beat.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: Anything that lets me use my UR points
I'll have to add another vote for Don Q. I'm not sure whether I actually enjoy it or it's just the nostalgia of drinking it 5 times a day while in San Juan, but it always elicits a smile.

I actually picked up a flavor last weekend that I hadn't seen before: Don Q Coco. It's an 80-proof coconut-flavored rum. I wouldn't pick it over some of Don Q's other choices, but it definitely has it's uses.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Another vote for Flor de Cana. For a day-to-day rum for us it's hard to beat.
Which Flor de Cana do you like? There are about 10 different kinds.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by GatoAndaluz
It is unfortunately apparently also on its last legs. This is one of those cases in which I am hoping the Indian Government sees the light and allows one of the MNCs to buy out the brand. Never give up hopes and dreams, no matter how far fetched.

http://qz.com/454920/old-monk-is-dyi...-love-for-rum/
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I just found this in my local liquor store. From Reunion.

I ended up bringing back four bottles of that from Reunion.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
A whisky friend of mine gave me a bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario 23, in response to me saying I ought to pick up some top shelf rum. He said his wife, a rum aficionado, didn't like it. Still in the box and everything...

I'm looking forward to trying it tonight.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
A whisky friend of mine gave me a bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario 23, in response to me saying I ought to pick up some top shelf rum. He said his wife, a rum aficionado, didn't like it. Still in the box and everything...

I'm looking forward to trying it tonight.
Curious to hear what you think of it. I just picked up a bottle myself.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Curious to hear what you think of it. I just picked up a bottle myself.
Sorry I'd missed replying until now.

I liked it; I would definitely treat it as a "sipping" rum and not a mixer. It was a little too sweet for my tastes, but then again, it's rum... it should be sweet.

You could definitely pick up the aging, both from the nose and the taste of the rum. Heavy, thick notes of caramel and molasses and some woodiness. Even my wife, who doesn't like straight spirits, said it was good (I did tell her she can't use it as a mixer ).
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:35 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Appleton Estate for me. Not very expensive either. Try it in a simple mixed drink!

Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
So far, Pyrat is my go-to pick.

If you happen to be in NYC, Brandy Library (http://brandylibrary.com/sections2007/home.htm) has a good selection of rums - the tasting flight was a lot of fun.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
All I know is Larry brought the Rumchata!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.