Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:51 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Impressive line-up, bravo !!!
Here's the wine pairing list.

work2fly likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 9:23 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL

$10 grocery outlet find. This was a very nice Bordeaux blend from the Sierra foothills.
corky likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sonoma wine tastings.

Almost all of our stops were at places recommended by Esther Mobley, the San Francisco Chronicle's senior wine critic. We were looking for wineries that produced more than just Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon.Day one.

Unti

Unti specializes in Rhone and Italian grape varieties. These were probably our favorite wines of the day. I neglected to take pictures of the bottles, so you'll have to make do with pictures of the tasting room and the vineyards.

The wines listed in bold print are included in the tasting. After tasting, we bought bottles of four of their wines, Grenache Blanc, Rose, Zinfandel and Syrah (which were we served despite it not being included the standard tasting).

Reeve Wines

We opted for the Wayfare Flight

Porter Creek Vineyards

After tasting, we bought bottles of Rose and Pinot Noir

corky likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 3:21 pm

Sonoma wine tastings.

Day two.

Preston Farm & Winery

We really liked the Madam Preston, a blend of the four white Rhone grapes, Viognier, Marsanne, Roussannes and Grenache Blancs, and bought a couple of bottles

We bought a bottle of the Zin

Ryme Cellars

Iron Horse Vineyards

Iron Horse is best known for their sparkling wines; their reputation is well deserved. The winey has the most spectacular setting of any which we visited.

FLYMSY and work2fly like this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Had a bottle of this last night. Fantastic!

2019 Fratelli Alessandria Priora Barbera d'Alba, Piedmont, Italy

Old Sep 18, 2023, 4:36 pm

Napa wine tasting.

Day two (day wine was a huge disappointment at a winery that was recommended by a friend of my daughter's and shall remain nameless).

Hendry Ranch Wines

(Recommended by the San Francisco Chronicle as one of "Top Wineries in Napa Valley")

Overall, this was the best wine tasting experience of this trip factoring in the setting, the quality of the wine and the hospitality. Reservations are a must. Each party gets its own host to guide them through the tasting and the tour of the vineyards and the production facility. We were there during the Chardonnay harvest. The tasting fee is applied in full towards wine purchase.

George Hendry grew up on the ranch. He trained as a nuclear physicist and was a distinguished cyclotron designer. He started planting vineyards in the early 70's. Initially, he sold his grapes to Robert Mondavi and Opus One. He started making his own wines in 1992.

We bought half a case of wine, two bottles each of the Albariño, Rose and Zinfandel.
Eastbay1K, corky, work2fly and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Had a bottle of this on Saturday evening. Domaine Francis Orban | North Berkeley Imports

It was very good, and perhaps my first and only example of a 100% Pinot Meunier fizzy ever.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
ORBAN_eb_2021.pdf (234.9 KB, 16 views)
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:37 pm

Regular wine pairing, SingleThread Farms, Michelin

Healdsburg, CA

The evening started with a California sparkling wine and a French champagne on the rooftop garden before we were taken down to our table.

The "Regular" wine pairing; they also offer "Reserve" wine pairing for $500 and an "Unforgettable" wine pairing for $1,500.

We saw them pouring Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes from a six-liter bottle at a few tables near us. We asked the sommelier, that was the dessert wine for the "Reserve" pairing. I have no idea what they pour with the "Unforgettable" pairing.
Gaucho100K, corky, FLYMSY and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rombauer Chardonnay .....
such yummy juice
Old Sep 28, 2023, 6:17 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wow... the unforgettable is 3x the price of the Reserve, so if the Reserve gets an Imperiale of d'Yquem then for $1500 a pop I would expect that lineup to include something of the caliber of Screaming Eagle and Harlan from CA, and 1st Growth Bordeaux/Burgundy (of proper vintages of course). I wonder if the restaurant website has any information on what is offered in the wine programs...? I will try to look this up.

Regardless of which program, it sounds like am amazing experience.... Congrats !!!

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K

Originally Posted by TWA884
Regular wine pairing, SingleThread Farms, Michelin
Healdsburg, CA
The evening started with a California sparkling wine and a French champagne on the rooftop garden before we were taken down to our table.
The "Regular" wine pairing; they also offer "Reserve" wine pairing for $500 and an "Unforgettable" wine pairing for $1,500.
We saw them pouring Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes from a six-liter bottle at a few tables near us. We asked the sommelier, that was the dessert wine for the "Reserve" pairing. I have no idea what they pour with the "Unforgettable" pairing.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

The neighbor brought this over. And talked nonstop for 2 hours.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Wow... the unforgettable is 3x the price of the Reserve, so if the Reserve gets an Imperiale of d'Yquem then for $1500 a pop I would expect that lineup to include something of the caliber of Screaming Eagle and Harlan from CA, and 1st Growth Bordeaux/Burgundy (of proper vintages of course). I wonder if the restaurant website has any information on what is offered in the wine programs...? I will try to look this up.
I can't find anywhere what is included in the "Unforgettable" wine pairing; however, I found a blog post reviewing a November 2021 meal which includes the wines that were served with the "Reserve" pairing.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: MR, Aeroplan, Bonvoy

I was lucky enough to purchase this over the weekend.
Maybe I'll be drinking this in 15-20 years later.
Gaucho100K and work2fly like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol

The neighbor brought this over. And talked nonstop for 2 hours.
Was the wine worth it? 😉
Old Sep 28, 2023, 8:07 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL

I'm not familiar with the Australian producer, but after a 2 hour decant, this was tremendous and went very well with flat iron steaks and a salad topped with Roquefort.
Gaucho100K, corky, FLYMSY and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.