Meat lasagna: with or without spinach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meat lasagna: with or without spinach?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Place me in the "no spinach" camp. Meat, cheese, basil, garlic, cinnamon. Plus a good sauce!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:30 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Any spinach is just going to take up space that could otherwise be used for meat (or cheese).
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by djs
Any spinach is just going to take up space that could otherwise be used for meat (or cheese).
Well, that may be the first argument ever used against spinach because of a space limitation.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I would say hold the lasagna and the spinach.

Then grill the meat.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dope Man
+1.

More meat, no spinach for me.
I remember jfe used to have a signature saying "I didn't climb my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables"
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I cooked up a batch of meat lasagna this weekend, and when I asked Mr. Kipper what he thought of it, he said that it needed spinach. I replied that you don't add spinach to meat lasagna, just like you don't add meat to veggie lasagna.

So, FT dining connoisseurs, who is correct? Do you add spinach to meat lasagna or not?
You're thinking of telling your husband he's 'incorrect' because people in FT say so?

Unless you're a native Italian cook who has learned from generations of lasagna makers before you, add some spinach next time.

And if you are that native Italian cook I mention above, add some spinach next time.

It's the little things that can make a husband happy. Then he'll do some nice things for you!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:34 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Well, that may be the first argument ever used against spinach because of a space limitation.
And we know how much space that spinich can take up, especially when cooked.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
No spinach.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I found out why he thinks there should be spinach in meat lasagna... His mother always made it that way.

I'm guessing I can't win this, so perhaps the solution will be to make half of the meat lasagna without spinach (my half) and half with spinach (his half).
this might or might not work depending how clued in he is on food - just tell him you put some in. I'm not sure adding spinach would be noticeable tastewise.

Or alternatively, suggest that if he wants to control what goes into the food, then he makes it himself... you don't put spinach in your lasagne recipe, but you'd be very happy to taste his take on the same dish
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Analise
You're thinking of telling your husband he's 'incorrect' because people in FT say so?

Unless you're a native Italian cook who has learned from generations of lasagna makers before you, add some spinach next time.

And if you are that native Italian cook I mention above, add some spinach next time.

It's the little things that can make a husband happy. Then he'll do some nice things for you!
Actually, I told him he was wrong because one of my coworkers who is Italian said he's wrong.

He does nice things for me without me having to do things like include spinach in meat lasagna.
Originally Posted by Jenbel
this might or might not work depending how clued in he is on food - just tell him you put some in. I'm not sure adding spinach would be noticeable tastewise.

Or alternatively, suggest that if he wants to control what goes into the food, then he makes it himself... you don't put spinach in your lasagne recipe, but you'd be very happy to taste his take on the same dish
LOL, he insists it would give it a different taste (contrasting flavors or some such is what he said).

Suggesting that he cook lasagna with spinach if he wants it would only be opening myself up to food poisoning, or some sort of disaster in the kitchen.

I do think the solution here, since I'm not going to win when he grew up with spinach in meat lasagna, is to make half with spinach and half without.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by djs
And we know how much space that spinich can take up, especially when cooked.
Any space that spinach takes up is space that would be better served by being empty.

The spinach should stand alone, not the cheese.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:15 pm

Actually, I told him he was wrong because one of my coworkers who is Italian said he's wrong.

He does nice things for me without me having to do things like include spinach in meat lasagna.
Great...then why not do a nice thing for him and make it with spinach if that's what he prefers?

I do think the solution here, since I'm not going to win when he grew up with spinach in meat lasagna, is to make half with spinach and half without.
Ahhhh and that's the winner especially if YOU don't like spinach. ^
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: Various
My preferences:

Meat Lasagna = lots of Italian (Flat Leaf) Parsley, herbs, Choice of meat, cheese, and tomato based sauce.

Vegetable Lasagna = Spinach, Broccoli, GARLIC, Carrots, cheese, fewer herbs, but add nutmeg for richness, and a cream based sauce.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Analise
Great...then why not do a nice thing for him and make it with spinach if that's what he prefers?

Ahhhh and that's the winner especially if YOU don't like spinach. ^
Because I'm not his mother. If he wants meat lasagna with spinach, he can visit her.

Honestly, I don't care for cooked spinach. Raw spinach, I love. Cooked, not so much. So, to some extent, I don't care to contaminate my perfectly good meat lasagna with something I don't like.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:50 am

Because I'm not his mother. If he wants meat lasagna with spinach, he can visit her.
Doing something nice for your husband like cooking something he requested is like being his mother? Wow. I guess my husband is like his mother given your definition and I'm like his mother too given your definition. I cook things for him that he likes and does the same for me. I think that's part of being a good spouse—doing things for each other.

Honestly, I don't care for cooked spinach. Raw spinach, I love. Cooked, not so much. So, to some extent, I don't care to contaminate my perfectly good meat lasagna with something I don't like.
That's the crux of it right there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.