Wiki Posts
Search

Meat lasagna: with or without spinach?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kipper
Because I'm not his mother. If he wants meat lasagna with spinach, he can visit her.

Honestly, I don't care for cooked spinach. Raw spinach, I love. Cooked, not so much. So, to some extent, I don't care to contaminate my perfectly good meat lasagna with something I don't like.
The beauty of lasanga is that it is easy to make half of it without a particular ingredient.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Analise
Doing something nice for your husband like cooking something he requested is like being his mother? Wow. I guess my husband is like his mother given your definition and I'm like his mother too given your definition. I cook things for him that he likes and does the same for me. I think that's part of being a good spouse—doing things for each other.

That's the crux of it right there.
LOL, not quite. If he wants something that I cook made a different way, he's free to suggest it to me. If I don't want to make it like that, then he's free to make it himself, or, in this case, since his mother makes it like that, he can simply go visit her if he wants it that way.

We do plenty of things for each other--enough that he can deal without spinach in meat lasagna.

I hardly think that's grounds for problems in a marriage. After all, if a lack of spinach in meat lasagna is his biggest problem, I'd say he has it pretty good.
Originally Posted by PresRDC
The beauty of lasanga is that it is easy to make half of it without a particular ingredient.
LOL, true, although it probably causes it to be a bit uneven.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm going to jump on the without bandwagon on this one. Of course, just thinking about meat/lasagna/spinach has made me hungry. No fair!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:32 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I have done it both ways. I prefer to add spinach to increase vitamin content, but traditionally, the meat lasagna's I have made don't call for spinach.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Lasagna cannot be beautiful if it has spinach in it. You people just don't get it.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:07 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
OK Maybe this can help you . In my restaurant meat lasagna is just that no spinach and it has been made that way for 30 years.
The veggie Lasagna has spinach.

Now my mother has made lasagna for 60 years and her mother for the same from Bologna. That recipe during the holidays is used with spinach pasta sheets made by hand and is a meat lasagna. I am no big fan of spinach but the spinach pasta noodles give the lasagna a very different taste.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

I gave in and made meat lasagna with spinach today. Not a huge fan, but Mr. Kipper thinks it's better.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Sometimes other values are more important We forgive you.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Lasagna cannot be beautiful if it has spinach in it. You people just don't get it.
Preach it.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd

Preach it.
I kept waiting for someone to come rushing into the kitchen and throw the spinach in the garbage can, saying, "You can't use spinach in meat lasagna!!!

How about the next time I'm going to make lasagna, I post it here first, and one of you comes rushing in to save me from the spinach?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, IHG, HHonors
I like spinach in my meat lasagna... but sometimes I do half and half
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cblaisd

Preach it.
Trusted me and I can eat without spinach. I dislike to eat spinach. I am prefer to eat Lasagna with cheese.

If you go to Grocery store to buy a Lasagna in the freezer department.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by diamond404
I like spinach in my meat lasagna... but sometimes I do half and half
Originally Posted by N830MH
Trusted me and I can eat without spinach. I dislike to eat spinach. I am prefer to eat Lasagna with cheese.

If you go to Grocery store to buy a Lasagna in the freezer department.
My parents do this all of the time.. buy from a store and heat it up.. price per pound is the biggest factor.. not the quality..

I haven't seen to many restaurants giving the choice of spinach in the lasagna.. we've travelled quite a bit in the states, and haven't seen such choices..

Is it commonplace to see spinach in lasagna in the US?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
My parents do this all of the time.. buy from a store and heat it up.. price per pound is the biggest factor.. not the quality..

I haven't seen to many restaurants giving the choice of spinach in the lasagna.. we've travelled quite a bit in the states, and haven't seen such choices..

Is it commonplace to see spinach in lasagna in the US?
Up until Mr. Kipper suggested it to me, I'd not heard of spinach being a major ingredient in meat lasagna. In veggie lasagna, yes.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Traditional lasagna: absolutely not. Bolognese, besciamella, cheese. That's it.

But of course, so what? If you like spinach in it, but spinach in it. If you ike other veggies in it, put other veggies in it.

Best lasgna I ever made I included horse meat and finely chopped serrano ham. Not traditional, but so what? Everyone at the table loved it, and the women looked at me longingly (okay, it was my girlfriend).
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
Up until Mr. Kipper suggested it to me, I'd not heard of spinach being a major ingredient in meat lasagna. In veggie lasagna, yes.
Yes.. I agree.. Spinach can be an integral ingredient to Veggie Lasagna..

I'm wondering if Spinach is indeed a major ingredient in Meat Lasagna in the US? Because in Canada, I don't eat at establishments that do serve Spinach in its' Meat Lasagna.. nor have I frequented establishments in the States that do so neither..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.