Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Strangely enough jars of anchovies are readily available here in the supermarket. Can't imagine why as getting decent fish is impossible. Again, the wife would hunt me down if I gave her them....she hates anything fishy.
Take just one, dice very finely. All she will notice is an improvement in the depth of flavour. No fishyness guaranteed.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by indianwells
Yeth, they are pithy.
Well said.

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Take just one, dice very finely. All she will notice is an improvement in the depth of flavour. No fishyness guaranteed.
Yes well I hope you're right.

I'm certainly up for giving it a try. I shall choose the time carefully probably when she has to go away for the day.....one whiff or sight of a anchovy would scupper the whole operation.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if you saute the anchovies with the onion/garlic/etc at the beginning, they will practically dissolve into the rest of the sauce.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kipper
I add italian sausage or ground meat to mine.
+1 I like mine with Italian sausage or even chorizo on occasion.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The other way to get rid of the salts/saltiness is to soak the anchovies in milk for a few minutes (dried cod/bacala/bacalao is reconstituted similarly). IMHO, iakes away from the point of anchovies though.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I make quite a few pasta dishes, hope something below helps!

1. i prefer this with potato gnocci, but it works with pasta as well. Melt butter in a frying pan large enough to take the cooked gnocci at the end. Melt butter, until it starts to sizzle, then add individual fresh sage leaves, and let them sizzle away until they are dark green and crisp, by which point the butter will have browned slightly (not burned!) The tip in the gnocci, coat, and let the outside of the gnocci begin to brown in places. Transfer to warmed bowls, and add shavings (not grated) parmasan or romano cheese, and a twist of black pepper.

2. Not a sauce entirely, but with spagetti I like to gently fry (without it becoming brown) garlic in a little olive oil, dice very flavourful cocktail tomatoes, fresh basil (I prefer european basil which doesn't have the aniseed taste), and add to the garlic just long enough to take the chill off, then transfer to the drained spagetti, toss, and serve with romano shavings. For a change I will dice buffalo mozzarella and stir that in to the spagetti with the other ingredients.

3. Also normally done with spagetti in my house but works with whatever, I cook and drain the pasta, transfer it back to the saucepan, add a glug of olive oil or butter, toss in several handfuls of arugla (it seems like a ton, but it wilts down to nothing!) and stir over a low heat until the arugla reduces down. You can serve with some cheese (I do like cheese with my pasta!)

4. Creme fraiche is good with pasta, either with the arugla as above, or you can add salmon, proscuitto, etc. as well. If you can't get it, you can achieve similar with a 50-50 mix of sour cream and whipping cream and a squirt of lemon juice.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by emma69

1. i prefer this with potato gnocci, but it works with pasta as well. Melt butter in a frying pan large enough to take the cooked gnocci at the end. Melt butter, until it starts to sizzle, then add individual fresh sage leaves, and let them sizzle away until they are dark green and crisp, by which point the butter will have browned slightly (not burned!) The tip in the gnocci, coat, and let the outside of the gnocci begin to brown in places. Transfer to warmed bowls, and add shavings (not grated) parmasan or romano cheese, and a twist of black pepper.

2. Not a sauce entirely, but with spagetti I like to gently fry (without it becoming brown) garlic in a little olive oil, dice very flavourful cocktail tomatoes, fresh basil (I prefer european basil which doesn't have the aniseed taste), and add to the garlic just long enough to take the chill off, then transfer to the drained spagetti, toss, and serve with romano shavings. For a change I will dice buffalo mozzarella and stir that in to the spagetti with the other ingredients.

3. Also normally done with spagetti in my house but works with whatever, I cook and drain the pasta, transfer it back to the saucepan, add a glug of olive oil or butter, toss in several handfuls of arugla (it seems like a ton, but it wilts down to nothing!) and stir over a low heat until the arugla reduces down. You can serve with some cheese (I do like cheese with my pasta!)

4. Creme fraiche is good with pasta, either with the arugla as above, or you can add salmon, proscuitto, etc. as well. If you can't get it, you can achieve similar with a 50-50 mix of sour cream and whipping cream and a squirt of lemon juice.
Ok, now I'm hungry!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: US *G (AF, BA)
I sometimes put some sundried tomatoes I chopped a little bit before in some oliveoil (or the oil they were pickled) in a pan. When they heated up a little bit, I add some feta cheese in small cubes and let it melt a little bit. Then I add the pasta and stirr it all before I put it on the plates.
You might also add chopped onions and garlic with the sundried tomatoes.

Don't forget your pepper (and salt).
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh yes, I forgot sundried tomatoes! I use my mixer to blend half a small jar of sundried tomates with some of the oil into cream cheese, and use that stirred into the pasta! Haven't had that in a while! Maybe that is tonight's supper!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
When making a tomato based sauce from scratch, do not forget the sugar or honey (about a 1/2 tsp or so)...
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
They look great...I shall give them a try. ^

The sun dried tomatoes and sugar/honey as well.....many thanks for all your contributions. ^
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:33 pm

I add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream and a handful of fresh or frozen basil and marinated artichoke hearts.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
A dollop of freshly made ricotta is a welcome addition to most tomato-based pasta sauces.

btw, I'm with uk1 in believing that the shape & quality of the pasta plays an important role in its enjoyment.

http://www.chow.com/food-news/54492/...sta-met-sauce/
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by jbdk
When making a tomato based sauce from scratch, do not forget the sugar or honey (about a 1/2 tsp or so)...
You shouldn't need this when using onions... and when reducing wine.

Speaking of which, OP, when making a veg-only tomato sauce, use white wine not red. You can use red for Bolognese and ragu.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notsosmart

Speaking of which, OP, when making a veg-only tomato sauce, use white wine not red. You can use red for Bolognese and ragu.
Never drink white wine hence why I use the red.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.