Reload this Page >

Brussels Sprouts

Brussels Sprouts

Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Brussels Sprouts

I'm a sucker for strong flavored vegetables. After asparagus and beets, my favorite is brussels sprouts. I cooked a recipe from the Feb 2011 issue of Food & Wine magazine this week that combined raw cabbage and roasted brussels sprouts and was surprisingly excellent.

I won't reprint the recipe, but will point out that it also had pine nuts, dried cranberries and a dressing of honey, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, olive oil, cayenne pepper and chili powder. Garnish with shaved Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese (I also added diced smoked pork).

I usually just steam my sprouts or saute with bacon. Any other suggestions?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Any other suggestions?
To quote a famous 'merican, "just say no."
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Roasted. Coat with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast in 400F oven, shake every 10 minutes, for about 30 minutes or until the outsides start to caramelise.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:10 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:00 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I love sprouts, and almost everywhere now here is now selling them on the stalk, which makes a huge difference ^. Raw, fried with pancetta, roasted (with sweet chestnut - mmm), or just steamed with a little salt - it's all good.

Originally Posted by violist
To quote a famous 'merican, "just say no."
Wasn't that the cast of Grange Hill?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Roasted til crispy, cut in half, face down, tossed with salt/pepper/balsamic/olive oil.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:20 pm

Saute with butter and bacon. Add some toasted pecans or walnuts. Top with crumbled blue cheese. YUM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Roasted. Coat with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast in 400F oven, shake every 10 minutes, for about 30 minutes or until the outsides start to caramelise.
Ditto. (This is my go-to recipe for a lot of veggies, including broccoli and asparagus. You can also throw on some rosemary or other herbs. It's so simple, but people rave about the results.)
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
FWIW, brussel sprouts only sweeten after being exposed to a frost (or many). I suspect the sprouts one buys may be grown in frost-free areas so they never sweeten. A good reason to buy local (or grow your own) if you live in some place where there's frost.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
FWIW, brussel sprouts only sweeten after being exposed to a frost (or many). I suspect the sprouts one buys may be grown in frost-free areas so they never sweeten. A good reason to buy local (or grow your own) if you live in some place where there's frost.
Over in the Old Country where the sprouts originated, the same goes for Kale - a typical winter staple like the sprouts and tastes better with every frost.
My initial idea @:-) of a night in the freezer due (luckily) to lack of frost did not produce the same desired results as mother nature tho.

Prepared many times as main ingredient with Pancetta in a quiche ... mmmmmm
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I LOVE them with pancetta and reduced chicken stock. This is the recipe. Surprisingly, I don't have to share them with anyone at home.

The only change to the recipe I make is that I buy frozen sprouts in the steamer bags and microwave them first. I could never get the fresh ones cooked enough following the recipe--and I do cook quite a bit. We use electric and that causes cooking times to very a lot.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
I am a novice cook at best and my handsome Italian husband does all the cooking. I took some advice and decided to start eating roasted vegetables. I took Ina Gartens recipe on Food Network to roast Brussel Sprouts and love them. Olive oil, S&P, 425 for 12-15 minutes. Yum!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I buy very young ones from the Santa Monica Farmers Market. I will either roast them alone with just salt , pepper and olive oil, 400 degrees for about 40 minutes or will roast them, as I did last night, with beautiful heirloom carrots (red, yellow, orange white). It's a very pretty presentation. Have also been know to throw a few tiny potatoes into the mix.
I ALWAYS add about 3 cloves of fresh garlic.

Last edited by obscure2k; Jan 27, 2011 at 7:07 pm Reason: forgot to add the garlic
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Sprouts are the way forward, to be sure, but don't go defiling them with minging dead animal products.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
they go well with bacon, too bad my bf is kosher.

So I do this instead, cut up, add maple syrup (real maple syrup, not the corn syrup crap), some cayanne pepper and some soy sauce and saute.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.