Reload this Page >

Brussels Sprouts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brussels Sprouts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
This is what I love about Flyertalk - threads about Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower rather than beetroot, cucumber and pop tarts. ^
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by nerd
Did you cook them cut side up? That will cause them to dry out.

Cut side down and they retain most of their internal moisture, the cut face gets nice and carmelized, and the outer leaves get nice and crisp.
No, I tossed/shook them every 10 minutes.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
That's funny... I bought some brussels sprouts today along with a pair of duck legs.

Going to make a quick-recipe confit, and then use the fat to sautee lightly-steamed brussels sprouts as a side, together with new potatoes.

Granted, anything cooked in duck fat is AWESOME, but I like this recipe in particular. I find it kind of interesting, as an aside, that my daughter, who's always been a picky eater (quelle surprise, right?) LOVED this simple way of preparing vegetables when she was as young as 12. So there is that.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Delta GM, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum
Here's a recipe that rocks:

Cut the sprouts in half. Coat a pan with a bit of olive oil and, after heated, put the sprouts in the pan with the flat side down. Saute on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. After the sprouts get soft, turn the heat up to high for about two minutes. This will caramelize the bottom of the sprouts. You get a crispy, caramelized bottom and soft middle.

So, so good.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: Various
The simple recipes with just OO, S & P, + roasting are the best IMO.

Trader Joe's has a phenomenal Brussels Sprouts SALAD (IMO). The sprouts are cooked, but still al dente, then there are dried cranberries, hazelnuts, shaved cheese, and a somewhat tart vinaigrette dressing.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
I saw a recipe for brussel sprout kimchi the other day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.