Wiki Posts
Search

Brussels Sprouts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:37 am

HFW did a recipe a while back, deep fried in tempura batter with Black pudding

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes...ecipe_p_1.html
Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by tkey75
Quote simply sauteed in garlic and butter, then braised in chicken stock. Cross hatch the ends so they cook more evenly.

Can't get enough!
I use olive oil rather than butter and LOTS of garlic.

We also prepare patties a la Babaduck, using olive oil again, but generally use Batata Baroa rather than potatoes.

Batata Baroa is a native Peruvian root vegetable popular in Brazil that grows only at medium to high altitudes. I have never seen it outside southern South America. Potatoes work too, but the tangy favor and smooth consistency of Batata Baroa compliments the Brussels Sprouts quite perfectly.

I like Brussels Sprouts any way at all except in butter or with bacon, both of which make them too fatty for my taste. I applaud all those among you who enjoy the fatty ones.

Eastbay 1K, your chosen recipe is quite popular here too, where bacon is added to almost everything.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:28 pm

My favorite recipe for Brussel Sprouts is from Tom Colicchio. I had this at his Craft Centurycity restaurant and it is one of my favorite veggie dishes.

http://www.mixingbowl.com/message/re...9768&m=4326661
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Roasted. Coat with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast in 400F oven, shake every 10 minutes, for about 30 minutes or until the outsides start to caramelise.
Agreed. I've been doing this for years and it is delicious. I have converted a few non-brussel-lovers with this recipe.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
My favorite veggie!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by KIXman
I'll have the Brussels Sprouts Benedict sans brussels sprouts please
^ Moi aussi.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Olive oil, salt & pepper is all that you need. Roast them in a 425 degree oven for at least 20 minutes.

I usually combine them with turnips, jerusalem artichokes and cauliflower, all roasted together.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Olive oil, salt & pepper is all that you need. Roast them in a 425 degree oven for at least 20 minutes.

I usually combine them with turnips, jerusalem artichokes and cauliflower, all roasted together.
Sounds delicious but the visual not so much. Too monochromatic. Try roasting with heirloom carrots...they are beautiful right now and a riot of colors. I also like to throw some purple Yukon potatoes into the mix. If you get your vegetables from Farmer's Market, look for lovely herbs to toss. I like Italian parsley and Chervil. Instead of salt, I use a couple of anchovies.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:58 am

You must try dipping them in garlic butter.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Like them plain steamed; love them with bacon; my first dog had a passion for cooked brussels sprouts. Mom cooked them for the dog and he followed her everywhere after that.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
http://gluten-dairy-sugarfree.com/?p=1375

This is one of my all time favorite recipes for brussel sprouts. I have served to many others and they all have loved it too. The only thing I have changed is I usually add in some potatoes as my husband isn't a huge fan of squash.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Raw...no kidding!

Chop bacon into 1/4in squares and fry until crispy. While the bacon fries, chiffonade sprouts to make a very fine slaw. Halve a handful of green grapes. Put bacon, sprout slaw and grapes in a bowl with a splash of EVOO and some lemon juice or white wine vinegar. A bit of black pepper and you have a really elegant slaw.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:33 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
Had these at a restaurant in San Diego about a year ago and they have become my go to side dish.
Shred the sprouts, saute until they just start to caramelize in clarified butter, salt and fresh pepper.
When they are just cooked through and caramelized, pull from the heat and add a couple of tablespoons( depending on the volume of sprouts) of creme fraiche.

My absolute fav now.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I've always cut them in half and steamed them, then tossed in butter and salt. Yesterday I tried the oven roast method several here have advocated. I didn't care for the result at all. Much too dried out. I may try it again leaving them whole to see if they will retain more moisture that way.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
I've always cut them in half and steamed them, then tossed in butter and salt. Yesterday I tried the oven roast method several here have advocated. I didn't care for the result at all. Much too dried out. I may try it again leaving them whole to see if they will retain more moisture that way.
Did you cook them cut side up? That will cause them to dry out.

Cut side down and they retain most of their internal moisture, the cut face gets nice and carmelized, and the outer leaves get nice and crisp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.