Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brussels Sprouts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by entropy
they go well with bacon, too bad my bf is kosher.

So I do this instead, cut up, add maple syrup (real maple syrup, not the corn syrup crap), some cayanne pepper and some soy sauce and saute.
I think that is overkill. Why not jut drizzle some Balsamic over the roasted veggies? The flavor of the young sprouts are so great that I don't understand the need for soy sauce and maple syrup. But, hey, that is just me. Enjoy what works for you.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Great thread!!! I love Brussels Sprouts!

As already mentioned, I cut in half and toss with sea salt, pepper, olive oil and place them face down on a roasting pan. Then drizzle the tops with good balsamic and roast for 40 min at 400 F. Easy and excellent!

But to make them sinfully yummy, I will cut them in half and set them face down in a cast iron fry pan with butter (already melted with fresh ground pepper). Sear them until they almost burn and then move the pan in the preheated 350 F. oven for about 25 minutes. Awesome!!!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
We had a big foodie discussion about this before Christmas.

My tried & trusted recipe is...

Trim, peel & shred the sprouts. Steam for 2-3 minutes. Saute pancetta & shallots until it's starting to crisp up, add the sprouts & cook for another 2 minutes. Add the grated zest of an unwaxed lemon & a squeeze of lemon juice. Season with freshly ground black pepper & a TINY bit of salt.

Leftovers? Mix with leftover mashed potato, form into patties & fry 4-5 minutes on each side in a bit of olive/rapeseed oil until brown.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like my Brussels Sprouts sauteed with butter and olive oil. ^
Old Jan 29, 2011, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Why not jut drizzle some Balsamic over the roasted veggies?
YES. My favorite way to eat brussels sprouts!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:02 am
uk1
Suspended

There is nothing sassier than a brassica.

Au naturel. Freshly picked (in the UK we can buy a vine and pick them just before cooking) and steamed.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
I had a first this past weekend at a local organic breakfast/lunch joint owned by a friend of mine. Brussels Sprouts Benedict! Freshly baked and toasted English muffin split, topped with poached free range organic eggs (from her farm) topped with fresh picked BSprouts (about 8 or 10 also from her farm that morning) halved, sauteed in butter in cast iron till just softened, topped with a fresh parmesan cream sauce which featured a sprinkling of organic bacon. (yes, also from her farm) I think the best breakfast I've ever eaten in my life. I'm glad we went after a graduation ceremony and I was starving because there was no way I could have finished off this dish any earlier in the morning. (I think we ate at about 1:30pm) TO DIE FOR!

Cheers,

JB
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by jbart74
I had a first this past weekend at a local organic breakfast/lunch joint owned by a friend of mine. Brussels Sprouts Benedict! Freshly baked and toasted English muffin split, topped with poached free range organic eggs (from her farm) topped with fresh picked BSprouts (about 8 or 10 also from her farm that morning) halved, sauteed in butter in cast iron till just softened, topped with a fresh parmesan cream sauce which featured a sprinkling of organic bacon. (yes, also from her farm) I think the best breakfast I've ever eaten in my life. I'm glad we went after a graduation ceremony and I was starving because there was no way I could have finished off this dish any earlier in the morning. (I think we ate at about 1:30pm) TO DIE FOR!
I'll have the Brussels Sprouts Benedict sans brussels sprouts please
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by Babaduck
We had a big foodie discussion about this before Christmas.

My tried & trusted recipe is...

Trim, peel & shred the sprouts. Steam for 2-3 minutes. Saute pancetta & shallots until it's starting to crisp up, add the sprouts & cook for another 2 minutes. Add the grated zest of an unwaxed lemon & a squeeze of lemon juice. Season with freshly ground black pepper & a TINY bit of salt.
That's essentially my recipe, though I don't steam the shredded sprouts. If you do the sauteing in advance, and half-cook the sprouts, it's a good do-ahead recipe that microwaves well at the last minute without over-cooking the sprouts.

Good German-style bacon instead of pancetta adds an even more robust flavor.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, BA Silver, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Trim and peel the sprouts and cut in half. Sautee in olive oil, salt and pepper with small but thick chunks of bacon and potato chopped up very small. When they start to brown, roast in the oven for about 20 min (this is mostly to ensure the potatoes cook through). The potatoes neutralize the strong taste of the brussel sprouts and soak up the delicious grease at the same time. Yum!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: Amex Gold
Cool Bet you never tried this!

Discovered by accident a few summers ago.. Was cooking pork steaks outside on the charcoal grill. Realized I had not thought about a vegetable. (other than a sweet potato roasting in foil alongside the meat). Anyway, Checked out the freezer in desperation. Grabbed a bag of frozen brussels. Threaded them on a skewer, brushed with melted butter and threw them on the grill. When I closed the lid on the grill to finish everything up, the charcoal smoke taste really kicked those BBs up a notch! Delicious!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by entropy
they go well with bacon
They are excellent with bacon, if you hold the sprouts.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Quote simply sauteed in garlic and butter, then braised in chicken stock. Cross hatch the ends so they cook more evenly.

Can't get enough!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: Amex Gold
Red face

Yeh, cross hatching is the secret!!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:18 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Steamed with toasted almonds and chunks of pan fried chestnut mushroom.

The ones I picked up at the farmers market two weeks ago were particularly good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.