Search

Lactose Intolerance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by uk1
Out of interest - what were the symptoms of your lactose intolerance?
When I was discussing my gut issues with my 2nd gastroenterologist, he told me I could test myself for lactose interance. For 2 weeks, I avoided dairy 100% - that meant reading every label carefully but I was successful - and felt great. Then, on his instructions, I ate a pint of my favorite ice cream (Ben & Jerry's Phish Phood). Within minutes, I was bloated and passing gas, lots of stinky gas. Shortly therafter, I had gut-emptying diarrhea.

Sorry to be graphic, but it's such a relief not to face that anymore.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I simply will not stand for intolerance.
I had to sit for it myself.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:22 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I had to sit for it myself.
It's a shame you just can't put this behind you.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I simply will not stand for intolerance.
It's not my fault! It's genetics!!

I'm also lactose intolerant and very much understand your pain, BamaVol. As a child I'd drink a glass of milk with nearly every meal and enjoyed pizza, yogurt, cream-based sauces, string cheese, ice cream... Shortly after my 18th birthday, my small intestine decide that it was done breaking down milk sugars. So those of you who aren't currently lactose intolerant, enjoy it while you can because you never know when/if your digestive system will make your meals less enjoyable.

I've come to read menus carefully and have no problem asking restaurant staff members what the ingredient of a particulate dish are. Not being near the comforts of home, I just don't order anything that does or may contain anything questionable.

I often end up packing pro-biotic pills to take with me when I travel to keep my stomach happy.

The only time I get frustrated about not being able to order and eat dairy is on UA in F. Stupid ice cream sundaes!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FTcadence
It's not my fault! It's genetics!!

I'm also lactose intolerant and very much understand your pain, BamaVol. As a child I'd drink a glass of milk with nearly every meal and enjoyed pizza, yogurt, cream-based sauces, string cheese, ice cream... Shortly after my 18th birthday, my small intestine decide that it was done breaking down milk sugars. So those of you who aren't currently lactose intolerant, enjoy it while you can because you never know when/if your digestive system will make your meals less enjoyable.

I often end up packing pro-biotic pills to take with me when I travel to keep my stomach happy.
That's about the same pattern I experienced. I was in my late teens when it developed.

I worry about the probiotics since most of them are grown in dairy and there is a dairy residue in the capsule. No problems? I'd love to try it again.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:47 pm

Never make mashed potatos with coconut milk.
Ha! Words to live by.

I don't have much in the way of suggestions for cheese replacements--because you're right, none of them melt properly.

However, things I've run across for dessert that you might enjoy:
  • Soy ice cream--Trader Joe's, if you're near one, has a decent selection. Some are better than others. A decent vanilla is often easy to find, to which you can add a topping that works for you. (Puréed fruit?)
  • "Tofutti Cuties"--these are ice cream sandwiches made with tofu. Surprisingly good. The cookie parts are particularly nice.
  • Tofu cheesecake--I've never had this, but vegetarian friends have made it and said it's amazing. Look for recipes if you're into that.
  • Vegan cakes--I am not now, never have been, and probably never will be vegan. However, vegan cakes are often terrific. i unwittingly purchased a vegan cupcake with some of the thickest, tastiest chocolate frosting I've ever had. I spent several years wondering what on earth they could have used for frosting as butter, sour cream, and cream cheese were obviously out. I have since learned that the secret may be avocado. Go figure.
  • Pie--I discovered a while ago that I've been unwittingly making vegan fruit pies for years. Go figure! You make the crust with a neutral vegetable oil instead of butter or Crisco. It makes a nice light, flaky crust and is much easier than cutting flour into butter!

Note also that vegan cookies generally taste like compressed sawdust. Avoid!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fwoomp
Note also that vegan cookies generally taste like compressed sawdust. Avoid!
Before going the gluten-free route, Liz Lovely made fantastic vegan cookies.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My wife was lactose intolerant for a number of years. Her situation was different in two key ways from what I hear from other people. First, she both grew into it and grew out of it. The condition came on during her childhood but then eased up after young adulthood. Second, her symptoms followed a pattern similar to an allergy. She could eat small amounts of dairy and be okay, like being exposed to low levels of an allergen and not having a reaction. But when her exposure crossed a certain threshold her intolerance would "trigger". Past that point she'd have strong reactions to any tiny increment of dairy, and would have to avoid it altogether for a few days until her system calmed down.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Rice milk is great for light and fluffy pancakes.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've hijacked too many threads by ranting on the subject and feel like the subject deserves its own thread - I searched and did not see one.
Thanks to the mod who moved this.

Apparently I started the discussion 4 years ago and forgot it. That's pretty funny.

One more question? Do you have symptoms outside your digestive system? I have a friend who says she is mildly lactose intolerant. I've watched her eat cheese and yogurt and then break out in a rash on her arms. If I have a rash, it's not anywhere I can see it.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
Rice milk is great for light and fluffy pancakes.
Got a recipe?

I'm not a big fan of maple syrup. Dry pancakes aren't a big hit, but I might try it with a lot of fruit added or homemade applesauce on top.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Got a recipe?

I'm not a big fan of maple syrup. Dry pancakes aren't a big hit, but I might try it with a lot of fruit added or homemade applesauce on top.
I use the Bisquick mix at home. Follow the instructions, use equivalent egg replacer (since Miss Swede is allergic to eggs) and soy milk (she's also allergic to milk). You do need to use a lot more liquid than the recipe says, and I just keep adding until the batter is moderately runny. For a little more sweetness without using syrup, you can use vanilla soy milk. I also sometimes add chocolate chips so that we can skip using syrup.

I will try it with rice milk next time. ^
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I use the Bisquick mix at home. Follow the instructions, use equivalent egg replacer (since Miss Swede is allergic to eggs) and soy milk (she's also allergic to milk). You do need to use a lot more liquid than the recipe says, and I just keep adding until the batter is moderately runny. For a little more sweetness without using syrup, you can use vanilla soy milk. I also sometimes add chocolate chips so that we can skip using syrup.

I will try it with rice milk next time. ^
We just use Bisquick or other pancake mixes too.

The rice milk was a discovery when we were in the process of doing elimination testing for allergies for a family member. Two weeks of no dairy and no soy, so at the time the only other option was rice milk.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to the mod who moved this.

Apparently I started the discussion 4 years ago and forgot it. That's pretty funny.

One more question? Do you have symptoms outside your digestive system? I have a friend who says she is mildly lactose intolerant. I've watched her eat cheese and yogurt and then break out in a rash on her arms. If I have a rash, it's not anywhere I can see it.
If she's getting a rash, that's an allergy not an intolerance.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:51 am

When I was discussing my gut issues with my 2nd gastroenterologist, he told me I could test myself for lactose interance. For 2 weeks, I avoided dairy 100% - that meant reading every label carefully but I was successful - and felt great. Then, on his instructions, I ate a pint of my favorite ice cream (Ben & Jerry's Phish Phood). Within minutes, I was bloated and passing gas, lots of stinky gas. Shortly therafter, I had gut-emptying diarrhea.

Sorry to be graphic, but it's such a relief not to face that anymore.
I feel your pain. I have the same problem. I take the (3 pills) lactaid pills with all dairy. I can tolerate small amounts of Greek yogurt (Fage brand only) and hard cheese without the pills.

I don't like the taste of lactaid milk. So I drink the 30 calorie per serving Almond Breeze milk.

Trust me, the farts were worse than my Jack Russell terriers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.