Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lactose Intolerance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by slawecki

indian restaurant cooking can give one a serious lactose attack. some cook with a huge amount of ghee, which is concentrated lactose.

"The milk solids that do remain in butter are removed when the butter is clarified (what the Indians call ghee). There might be minute amounts of lactose in ghee but it is unlikely to be enough to have an effect on those who are lactose intolerant."

http://www.drgourmet.com/askdrgourme...e-butter.shtml
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IC, FPC, CO & UA dirt, 1K wannabe
I haven't been formally diagnosed by a doctor, but I know I've got it...

Starting about age 38, a glass of milk or a bowl of ice cream would lead to some serious regrets 6 to 24 hours later. I can eat cheese, but too much (3-4 slices of a heavily cheesed pizza) and I'm in the same sh**ty situation.

I don't do the lactose-free stuff. Won't even try it. I would consider calcium tablets if I felt I needed them, but would rather eat my cheese with a little moderation.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:43 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Three of my four children are lactose intolerant. They always carry Lactaid with them. They normally take one just as they start eating (irrespective of whether it is dairy---except for sushi). They buy their Lactaid at Costco. There is a Kirkland brand which costs less than the name brand and works very well.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by pdx_fam
I would consider calcium tablets if I felt I needed them, but would rather eat my cheese with a little moderation.
I'm not really sure if people understood my reference to Calcium or not... Calcium tablets are known as a way of helping when IBS affects digestion of food in certain ways.

Google IBS and Calcium, or alternatively Magnesium and IBS and see what you find.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
There is a Kirkland brand which costs less than the name brand and works very well.
The various house brands manufactured by Perrigo work at least as well
as Lactaid.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 3:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by violist
There is a Kirkland brand which costs less than the name brand and works very well.
The various house brands manufactured by Perrigo work at least as well
as Lactaid.
In general how well do these work? Also what foods would people recommend to use to differentiate between lactose and cassein intolerance? Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I've found generics from K-Mart, Wal*Mart & local grocery chains to work fine. BV Jr #3 prefers the Lactaid chewables.

I think Lactaid milk would give you an indication of casein intolerance since it has no lactose.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Given what I have observed with my sons, I would say that just concentrate on getting those kids used to popping Lactaid (or Generic).
Why dig deeper?

Last edited by obscure2k; Apr 22, 2010 at 8:46 am
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I'd say 95% is pure lactose intolerance. Casein intolerance seems to be
a pretty small problem (one that I think I once suffered and got rid of).
Bama's methodology would certainly narrow the diagnosis.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL KM
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Given what I have observed with my sons, I would say that just concentrate on getting those kids used to popping Lactaid (or Generic).
Why dig deeper?
Because for some (read: me) the Lactaid pills do not work as intended. They just cause massive flatulence that actually becomes painful.

The Lactaid milk and cottage cheese not only works well, but it tastes really great also. I only wish the ice cream were edible....
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by crabbing
not true. it's not uncommon to be affected by both.
Someone with casein issues would not benefit from lactaid milk since lactaid milk still contains casein. How did you disprove my point? Are you talking about actual casein issues or people who believe casein causes ADHD?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Lactose Intolerance

I've hijacked too many threads by ranting on the subject and feel like the subject deserves its own thread - I searched and did not see one.

How do you cope? I find the lactase pills help but not always.

After >35 years of feeling sick during/after every meal, I was correctly diagnosed as lactose intolerant. My previous gastro doctor diagnosed me with IBS and prescribed pills that helped 75% of the time (slowed down my digestion).

I have learned to do without cheese. Sorry, but I can't find a non-dairy cheese that melts properly. I miss real pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches and ordering the cheese plate for dessert.

I have learned to inform servers early while ordering. Most have been helpful. You do have to spell it out for some - no dairy means no milk, no butter, no cheese, no cream, eggs are not dairy, etc.

When grated cheese is offered for pasta or salad, I ask the server to give my share to Mrs BamaVol. When buying deli sandwiches, I remove the cheese and add it to Mrs BamaVol's sandwich. If I'm alone, of course I order without.

I discovered lactose free ice cream and milk. I am grateful. Soy, almond, coconut and rice milk are okay, but have their own flavor. Never make mashed potatos with coconut milk.

I know there are non-dairy and lactose free yogurts and cottage cheese. They are hard to find in the small towns where I have lived the last 5 years.

It's a cheesy world we live in. What are your experiences?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:12 am
uk1
Suspended

Out of interest - what were the symptoms of your lactose intolerance?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I was diagnosed lactose intolerant as a very small child so I say welcome (unfortunately) to my world.

It is easier now that non-dairy, lactose free, soymilk, almond milk, etc products seem to be readily available. When I was a little, my options to pour on my cereal were water and orange juice.

The pills don't help me much at all.

I do occasionally cheat but I have a pain vs. enjoyment scale that I balance everything on. Stinky french cheese bought at a Sunday market in Paris to enjoy with a baguette and a bottle of wine while sitting under the Eiffle Tower? Absolutely worth it. Slice of American cheese on a white bread sandwich? Not worth it at all.

You get used to dairy being hidden places it should never be hidden, reading labels, asking questions.

It's rare that I can go to a restaurant without altering menu items. I'm used to that. What frustrates me the most, though, is when they don't understand that yes, even a little cheese can cause me an issue.

Yes, I'm lucky that it is an intolerance and not an allergy, but I want to look forward to eating, not dread pain afterwards.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I simply will not stand for intolerance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.