Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
They always seem to have plenty on hand. When the place is busy they have two queues in front: people waiting for tables/bar seats, and people just getting beer "to go," if you will (growler fills, buying bottles). Normally I avoid the place on the weekend, but they will take reservations (they text you when your table opens up), so that makes it a little more reasonable. I've never tried making a reservation on the phone with them. Instead, I speak directly (face-to-face) with the hostess, then wait for the text, maybe while grabbing a bite to eat at a nearby place.

The grub there is nothing special, but you might as well get something to eat and have a coupla pints/goblets at a table, as the waitstaff is happy to fetch 12-packs/bottles and add it to your bill. Makes it a bit easier, one bill covering your take-out and bar items. You can even buy apparel the same way.

Parking is available on the street, in the lot behind their storefront, or in the structure off 5th street.
Awesome thank you!! I'll plan to just do the table side and try some beers and then have them fetch the 12 pack.

I've got some bubble wrap and tape on order from Amazon to take with me so hopefully that'll be sufficient. I usually use wine diapers for beer/wine but I'm not sure I've got enough for 12 separate bottles so bubble wrap seems like the best bet
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Warsteiner Oktoberfest is back at Costco

^
My local Costco has Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest, which I prefer to the Warsteiner. Just had a couple the other night. Good stuff.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Awesome thank you!! I'll plan to just do the table side and try some beers and then have them fetch the 12 pack.

I've got some bubble wrap and tape on order from Amazon to take with me so hopefully that'll be sufficient. I usually use wine diapers for beer/wine but I'm not sure I've got enough for 12 separate bottles so bubble wrap seems like the best bet
Wine diapers are great for wine, but for a carbonated beverage like beer, they're expensive and maybe not well-suited to the application. I have my little kit, at this point, refined over several visits. I usually go for 24 bottles, spread 'round two bags. Space inside the bags isn't really the issue; weight is. I usually take:

• 60 sheets of bubble wrap, about 12" by 18";
  • 50 gallon size ziploc bags;
  • A roll of strong box tape;
  • Pair of scissors for cutting aforementioned box tape;
  • A hand-held luggage scale

I wrap the bottles individually, rolling them up with a sheet of bubble wrap, secured with tape, and double-bag them. I use a few extra sheets of bubble wrap to cover the periphery of the bottles and lay in the suitcase as extra insurance against breakage. I sometimes watch those baggage handlers on the tarmac, and those guys can be hard on a bag, even when it's plastered with FRAGILE stickers, so I always insulate the bottles generously.

My brother, who drives to RRBC, always laughs at my elaborate transport scheme, but like I said, I'm very thankful for no broken bottles yet.

Once a bag is loaded, I weigh it carefully. I've not paid an overweight bag fee yet.

I have an expandable Costco rollaboard and a 24" spinner that I use for this, and I secure them with straps.

I've booked a stay in the area next year and plan to visit RRBC, but hopefully will be driving up this time. No need for the kit, as I'll have a 150 quart marine grade cooler.

That place does get hoppin' on the weekends. Weekday or weekend, my routine is breakfast by 9, in the queue by 10-ish, and get a table right when they open at 10:30. Have a few pints, head out for lunch, and then a nap back at the hotel.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

Wine diapers?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Wine diapers?
Yep, Wine diapers.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kipper
Wine diapers?
Yeah they are amazing. I bought them on a whim in 2014 before going to Australia because I didn't want the one time use Wineskins and they've been great ever since.

​​​​​I've brought wine, scotch/whisky/bourbon, beer (cans), olive oil, etc., back from all sorts of places with multiple connections on the way back and never had them fail thus far. Just wish I had thought of the idea first!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:50 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Heady Topper, Ballast Unfiltered Sculpin
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Carnegie 100W IPA. Stockholm, Sweden. Quite good but like all beer here, ridiculously priced at over $9USD per .4 liter glass.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:30 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Very interesting.
Yeah they are amazing. I bought them on a whim in 2014 before going to Australia because I didn't want the one time use Wineskins and they've been great ever since.

​​​​​I've brought wine, scotch/whisky/bourbon, beer (cans), olive oil, etc., back from all sorts of places with multiple connections on the way back and never had them fail thus far. Just wish I had thought of the idea first!
I will have to try them!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Fremont Lush. Delicious.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:00 am

Duvel Triple Hop. Tastes like the love child of standard Belgian blonde ale (Leffe, etc.) and a West Coast IPA.

So far the only 'hoppy' Belgian beer I've found worth drinking. Not cheap (€7 for a 4-pack), but cheaper than a trip to London or back to the US and a nice addition to the rotation of double and triple ales and tasty fruit beers. Belgians make great Belgian beer, but there are very, very few places making any other styles. Americans are spoiled by the ability to have Belgian beer today, German beer tomorrow, English beer next week and something really weird like chipotle chocolate stout to mix it up... sometimes all at the same brewery if you're lucky.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
One of my local watering places switched the "Rotating IPA" when I wasn't looking. It's been the same beer since April or May because that's what the manager likes. Sat down and ordered an Elysian Spacedust only to be told it was no longer available. This is a place with few selections worth drinking. With some trepidation, I asked what it had been replaced by.

Hop Gun by Funky Buddha. Even though FB is my favorite Florida brewery, I had never tried their IPA until last night. An excellent replacement, in my opinion.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:04 pm

Founders KBS
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Out tonight at the local brewery taproom. My first choice was a nitro Irish dry stout. I have no idea what makes it dry. The beertender did a smart thing and poured 2 pints, combining them when the heads had sufficiently settled.

The follow up was a gose, no fruit flavor. I think I like it better when it's flavored.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Pabst Blue Ribbon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.