Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are chain restaurants so popular in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are chain restaurants so popular in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
And perhaps I missed it, but has anyone mentioned the sanitary angle? If it's a chain restaurant, people know (or at least believe) they are being held to a certain franchise standard. That may turn some people away from the local places.
The issues that Jack in the Box and Chi-Chi’s had would seem to prove otherwise. But there’s been some filthy mom and pop restaurants where I’ve had great meals.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by quartermoon
While in Monterey, CA last week, we went to the Black Bear Diner. This seems to be a chain restaurant with many locations in the northwest US. But we don't have them in Houston, so does it count as eating at a chain, or eating a local place? How about if someone from Monterey goes to Atlanta and eats at the Cracker Barrel?
Just because a certain chain restaurant doesn't exist in your area doesn't mean that it's magically not a chain restaurant still.

However, I can understand going to a chain that doesn't exist in your area as opposed to something that's right around the corner from where you live. I mean, doesn't everyone here rave about In-N-Out Burger?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: 1-k spg gold
As an owner/operator of chain restauraunts, not only is consistency key, there are economy of scales, better pricing, buying, advertising. If you have a change you can build the brand, for example McDonalds is the leader, they have a standard that is recognized by everyone. Put one up internatioally, and there is instant recognition. I would agree that QVSC is higher in chains, than independents. Sometimes, the independents do have better food, as they are owner-operated and have specialties.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:13 pm

Interesting thread. I've also wondered why Olive Garden seems to be backed most nights. We ate there recently because I had a gift certificate. The food wasn't horrible tasting but it was packed with preservatives or food additives (who knows what?!) and gave me a horrible tummy ache. I've had the same problem with Outback, Applebees and other chains in the past.

I guess I wouldn't mind chains if I thought they were serving healthy food.

Deb
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN
Originally Posted by harper99
Lots of food snobs here I see.

You are not 'better' or 'more interesting' because of your diet...I assure you.

"boring"..."uneducated"...give me a break.
Boy, are you right about this.

I'm not a huge fan of chain restaurants, either, but the condescending tone and arrogance on this thread is breathtaking.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:19 pm

Oh man >.< This reminds of the time I lived off mcdonalds in Hong Kong because the canteen food sucked(well okay I ate every single thing and got tired) and I didn't want to risk any local restaurants because, one I couldn't read the menu and didn't want to end up with something I couldn't eat on my limited budget. The one time I looked up a local Indian restaurant, I way overspent and I wasn't that happy with it. The only way I like to try new restaurants is if someone brings me there, and then I'm happy to foot the bill(regardless of cost.. haha okay the language barrier is A HUGE issue)

In japan, we just wanted to go into any restaurant we could find that fit into our price range/ just find a place to eat. There are lots of chain restaurants there as well(MOS Burger! rice burgers yum! I had in HK again the shame) but we found all the hole in the wall places(except for MOS Burger cause man, getting lost in Kyoto and walking for 2 hours past where I wanted to go, this is was the only cheap thing on the main shopping strip)

I'm still trying to figure out the good restaurants in Chicago(in our price budget which is actually pretty hard for $15 and below per person), and I've lived here for 15 years(okay I'm 22, but still).

As for pizzahut, it's cheap and easy. The local pizza place sometimes is more expensive and tastes about the same. However, I do think Unos and Girdanos are chains, and people accept those chains? It's always packed(Unos more so). These are sit down restaurants, albeit more in the Midwest, Uno was in Baltimore.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Del Frisco's, Ruth's Chris, Morton's and The Capital Grille are technically chains....
...and some major areas have local steakhouses that put the two I've tried (Ruth's Chris and Morton's) to shame: Keens in NYC (I've not tried Peter Luger, although I'd like to) and Harris' in San Francisco, to name two.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N965VJ
The issues that Jack in the Box and Chi-Chi’s had would seem to prove otherwise. But there’s been some filthy mom and pop restaurants where I’ve had great meals.
A 20/20 report about 4 years ago actually listed the chains as the most unsanitary type of restraunt, with Chilis and Applebees at the top of the list for violations. Claim Jumper's was also pretty horrible.

The cleanest were some of the fast food chains...Mcdonalds in particular. The food is utter garbage, but the assembly line-like production methods and robotic procedures made it very clean.

Mom'n pop is a crapshoot..but they have more at stake as well. Chilis can afford to temporarily shut down 3 of it's 15,000 locations, Mom and pop cannot afford to close down their one location.

Your best bet is to eat from the supermarket.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by pinworm

Your best bet is to eat from the supermarket.
By that, do you mean buy your food there and cook it yourself at home? I have lived in several places where the local Food Lion or Winn Dixie consistently gets low health department grades - their deli, bakery and salad bars being the prime offenders.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BamaVol
By that, do you mean buy your food there and cook it yourself at home? I have lived in several places where the local Food Lion or Winn Dixie consistently gets low health department grades - their deli, bakery and salad bars being the prime offenders.
Not sure when you have last been in the supermarket....but there are prepared foods. Frozen foods. Cooked foods. Dry goods. Most manufactured foods there are not prepped in the supermarket but in factories, slightly less biologically hazardous than cooklines in chain restraunts.

Not to mention microwaves in hotels. Sometimes kitchenettes
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by pinworm
Not sure when you have last been in the supermarket....but there are prepared foods. Frozen foods. Cooked foods. Dry goods. Most manufactured foods there are not prepped in the supermarket but in factories, slightly less biologically hazardous than cooklines in chain restraunts.

Not to mention microwaves in hotels. Sometimes kitchenettes
Well, I usually send the help ....
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:32 am

I don't understand peoples problem with chain restaurants. You hear this all the time but the quality is usually decent, they are generally locally owned and employ a lot of people, and the prices are reasonable.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: American express green, Capitol 1 Visa and Discover
Originally Posted by stupenal
Very true. I was stuck on a project for quite some time in a city in central California, which may have well been in the boonies. Their main street was chain restaurant heaven - every single chain restaurant (Chili's, BJ's, Applebees, Elephant Bar, etc) was always packed on Thursday evenings. I am almost positive, that these restaurants were the local 'fine dining' locations because there simply was nothing else.
or it could be that some people had to run errands, didn't want to eat at home so they went to a chain. or maybe familys were there they didn't want to spend more money on a fancy restaurant, when you have kids restaurants can be very expensive so they ate at applebees makes perfect sense to me.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Traveltalker
Although I have to go along with many comments about most of the chains, I think I am able to be a little softer on some of them. Why?

My husband and I enjoy fine dining and indulge fairly often. So, I'm talking about expensive dinners. Most of the time, the food is really good, though I have to say that my husband makes a mean steak that is kind of hard to beat. And we can go and have an excellent chopped salad. But I can make a salad with the best of them. If we have potatoes, they are excellent, though potatoes aren't hard to make in my opinion. So I am not sure that it is worth all that money to many people to have dinner out, even though they enjoy getting out and the food may be delicious. They may just not be interested in dropping $200 for one meal for two people. Or they may not be able to afford it.

So, I don't think it's worth all the little drama being shared here. I haven't been to an Olive Garden since shortly after they opened. I've never been to Old Country Buffet or a Cheesecake Factory. I have been to McDonald's and will say they are a plus in today's world. Although I only go 1-2 times a year because of the fat content. When you have had a long day and all of a sudden you realize what time it is and home is still 45 - 60 minutes away, one of their burgers tastes great. Same thing with Friday's and Applebee's- although they are not all created alike. I wouldn't order pizza from Domino's or Pizza Hut if I was starving to death. Also, not everyone lives where there is a huge load of restaurants that aren't chains.
the reason why you haven't been to cheese cake factory is becuse there located in malls. have you been to your local mall or to any mall even if your on a business trip? I have only been to the cheese cake factory once it was at the westchester mall.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by FLLDL
Another factor would be that many of the local restaurants aren't all that much better. Most of the local mom and pop restaurants with similar menus to the big chains are getting their overly processed ingredients food off of the same SYSCO truck as the chains. Obviously this does not apply to fine dining / high end / ethnic places.

The biggest of the chains (Chilis/TGIF/Applebees/Outback) are basically neighborhood sports bars of various stripes. Go to your local mom and pop sports bar, and see how much better or even different the food is. Mostly just the same with some slight regional variations. The burgers at my local pubs are mostly the same as the chains, but with a few local menu items (in my case in South Florida, grouper, conch fritters, key lime pie etc)

If the food is largely similar and the chains offer a better value proposition, then why not eat at the chains? Especially for people with kids etc?

The only time I eat at chains is if I am on the road. I will admit that I have a little soft spot for Outback...
I will give you Fridays but not applebees or outback . the biggest chains are
Houilhans, Fridays , chillis. well they are your basic neighborhood restaurant on the weekends, business during the week but there not sports bars.
Hooters and Buffalo wild wings are your local sports bars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.