Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are chain restaurants so popular in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are chain restaurants so popular in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NoParachute
Pretty simple, Americans drive more.

Chain restaurants thrive off giving you something you know when you are in a place you do not. American's are far more likely to drive 20-30 minutes to a strip mall or a movie theater, or whatever else. That is where all the chain restaurants are - along routes to WalMart, right off the interstate, etc. They are generally not in the downtown business area where people will be more knowledgeable about their food choices (not that they don't exist there ever, just less often).

It is not because Americans are "cowards", but because we put ourselves in unfamiliar places more than others.
Driving a half an hour to get somewhere, talking to Americans, is part of accepted everyday life..

its almost therapeutic to be one with the vehicle, and having the freedom to go where Americans want to go..
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by bensyd
Compared to other places in the world I have visited I'm always amazed at how popular chain restaurants are in the US. Generally I find chain food pretty mediocre at the best of times. I'm talking about for proper sit down meals not fast food, which I think the US does very well! Places like Olive Garden, TGI's, Ruby Tuesday, Outback Steakhouse, have they just managed to squeeze out most of the competition in the low to mid price range?
I can think of a few reasons... 1) predicability; 2) generally cheaper; 3) availability and convenience... look at how many choices you have at a typical interstate highway exit in any medium sized town, there's lots of choices.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:19 pm

Not everyone lives and travels for food. I'm usually just as happy with a basic meal as a gourmet one, so it doesnt bother me.

Also, depending on the country, some of the food is pretty awful, especially to a lifetime of developed western tastebuds.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by theFallen
Not everyone lives and travels for food. I'm usually just as happy with a basic meal as a gourmet one, so it doesnt bother me.

Also, depending on the country, some of the food is pretty awful, especially to a lifetime of developed western tastebuds.
Agreed.. sometimes the ends justify the means..

Get food in tummy.. be satisfied..
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Pretty simple, Americans drive more.
I don't think driving is really part of the equation. One can probably find a non-chain restaurant with equal or better quality closer to one's home.

Chain restaurants thrive off giving you something you know when you are in a place you do not. American's are far more likely to drive 20-30 minutes to a strip mall or a movie theater, or whatever else.
How unfamiliar can things be with a 20-30 minute drive from one's home?

It is not because Americans are "cowards", but because we put ourselves in unfamiliar places more than others.
I don't think driving 20-30 minutes constitutes putting yourself in an unfamiliar place.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:42 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton

Driving a half an hour to get somewhere, talking to
Americans, is part of accepted everyday life.
I thought flying ten hours to get somewhere, talking to
flight attendants, was part of accepted everyday life.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

its almost therapeutic to be one with the vehicle, and having the freedom to go where Americans want to go..
(bolding mine) And for those folks who fly, it becomes even more special - just get in the car and go, no security checks (well, unless you are on certain stretches of highway in the southwest or unless you encounter a VIPR action).
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I can think of a few reasons... 1) predicability; 2) generally cheaper; 3) availability and convenience... look at how many choices you have at a typical interstate highway exit in any medium sized town, there's lots of choices.
I never eat at chain restaurants (or fast food joints) when I'm at home, but I do sometimes when I travel (in the US).

Predictability is the real attraction for me. A couple examples: I've landed, picked up the car, hungry and I have a lot of driving ahead. I'll grab a Quizno's. It isn't great, but I know what to expect.

In cities I'm not particularly familiar with, somewhere like CPK will do - they have great salads, I'm a salad junkie, they are consistent and reliable.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
(bolding mine) And for those folks who fly, it becomes even more special - just get in the car and go, no security checks (well, unless you are on certain stretches of highway in the southwest or unless you encounter a VIPR action).
Flying like the birds bring a sense of freedom.. We may take technology for granted.. but it still amazes me that each time I get on a plane, we end up in a different part of the world within hours..

That is why when the plane is delayed, I'm not too disheartened.. the miracle of flying gets us there faster, even with delays..
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:00 pm

When traveling by car in the US, the whole franchise/chain restaurant thing does drive me nuts sometimes. I used to just think I could head into a town and I'd find a diner (love them) or at least a reasonable restaurant or bar. However, often there's nothing in the town anymore, it's all just avenues of franchises on the outskirts near the highway.

Now I tend to look on Yelp or sometimes even on my GPS and just type in 'diner' or something. Sometimes I've gone well out of my way to find somewhere decent. It's becoming less of a problem now though as Yelp and similar websites get more and more content.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bloomsbury
When traveling by car in the US, the whole franchise/chain restaurant thing does drive me nuts sometimes. I used to just think I could head into a town and I'd find a diner (love them) or at least a reasonable restaurant or bar. However, often there's nothing in the town anymore, it's all just avenues of franchises on the outskirts near the highway.

Now I tend to look on Yelp or sometimes even on my GPS and just type in 'diner' or something. Sometimes I've gone well out of my way to find somewhere decent. It's becoming less of a problem now though as Yelp and similar websites get more and more content.
Local diners and restaurants are not hard to find imo.. just that when we do end up finding one, we are not familiar with menu, prices, food selection, and quality..

That is why franchises jump out and catches the eye.. uh.. Denny's.. I can get a grand slam, or Red Lobster, Olive Garden.. menu is familiar..

Joes' Diner.. hardly any vehicles out front.. gee, I dunno..
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Local diners and restaurants are not hard to find imo.. just that when we do end up finding one, we are not familiar with menu, prices, food selection, and quality..

That is why franchises jump out and catches the eye.. uh.. Denny's.. I can get a grand slam, or Red Lobster, Olive Garden.. menu is familiar..

I guess that is the bit I hate most, the fact I know the menu before even picking it up - and in most cases, every chain has a variation on the same items, I'd feel pretty safe ordering a spinich dip to start, and a burger for main in almost any of the chains around here without even picking up the menu. I like seeing new and unusual items - and the chains all seem to go safe and middle of the road.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:02 pm

Chains provide a certain amount of reliable uniformity, and thus predictability. That can save time and aggravation. Determining whether a non-chain establishment is a dive or gourmet heaven generally requires more research and time.

Here's a perfect example, even in Europe. About 10 years ago I arrived in Palermo, Italy from Bologna on an overnight train that pulled in about 2pm. There was no diner on the train. After checking in to my hotel, I looked around for a place to eat. It was a Sunday. Nothing appeared to be open in the central city. Then, I discovered a McDonalds, and it was open. Life would go on, after all. I was elated with the American business model.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:05 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

That's the issue I have with a lot of local places. You don't know the quality, price or selection in advance. At a chain, I can figure that it's passable quality, at a minimum, or if it's not, that they'll take steps of some sort to make it right for me.

If a local diner or restaurant doesn't have many patrons at what should be a busy time, I'm likely to not frequent it, figuring that if the locals won't eat there, I don't want to eat there either.
Originally Posted by emma69
I guess that is the bit I hate most, the fact I know the menu before even picking it up - and in most cases, every chain has a variation on the same items, I'd feel pretty safe ordering a spinich dip to start, and a burger for main in almost any of the chains around here without even picking up the menu. I like seeing new and unusual items - and the chains all seem to go safe and middle of the road.
New and unusual has its place, and can be good, but so can knowing the general quality and menu in advance.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Money card
the reason why you haven't been to cheese cake factory is becuse there located in malls. have you been to your local mall or to any mall even if your on a business trip? I have only been to the cheese cake factory once it was at the westchester mall.
Then you were at the wrong place. The Cheesecake Factory in White Plains is NOT in the Westchester Mall. It's in the same building as Whole Foods, Dick's Sporting Goods and a regional chain furniture store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.