Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To the NW People..We like you But

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:04 pm

Employee Point of View

As an employee...orig NW and Now DL...I feel the brunt of all of the anger from both sides every day when you guys call us....We are not any happier with all the changes either...I get the feeling that no matter what way things change, We will never please anyone....Unfortunately, I think the higher ups get this too....I have watched alot of the back and forth here, and some of it is very entertaining....Everyone has an opinion, myself included....If I could make 1 suggestion, it would be this... And it goes for me as well...I think everyone should sit back, let this thing play out and see where we stand in 1st qtr 2010.....By then, the cutover will be done, everyone will be on a single op platform, and then if you still feel you got the shaft...Let them know!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Oh and one other thing gang much more serious, I actually find this debate even as nasty as it is amusing. I don't need to remind everyone that today is 9-10-09 and you know what tomorrow is The fact that we can be so worked up about the relative merits of an airline and/or an FFP speak volumes as to where we were and how far we have come.

Be Well FT'ers!
GT
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Watchful
Since you mentioned it....here is a sweet little thread from way back in 2003 - back when we WorldPerks sheep were grazing quietly in our pastures with only an occasional contented "BAA" emerging. (I started the thread, so I may be biased.)

It may bring a tear to your eye as you remember the good old days...

IS THERE VALIUM IN THE WATER HERE?
And to remind folks that things could be tense on the DL board, even before the NWA merger, I submit the following (as the product of about 10 minutes of searching).

I like this first one, since it includes (5 years ago) the warning that FT might lose credibility with DL if the amount of complaining in posts isn't reduced. Quote: "This thread provides a good explanation as to why DL management ignores this board and the people on it. " How many times have we seen that assertion posted in the last 6 months?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...?highlight=SSM

I like this second one, since it includes (5 years ago) the sarcastic use of "enhancements" (complete with the quotation marks). Quote: "The latest "enhancements" are too little, too late."

Looks like the recent suggestion to ban the use of "enhancements" was five years too late.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...?highlight=SSM

If you don't study history, you are bound to repeat it.

Will I get accused of "thinking too much" again?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: D E L T A Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I just don't get it. Rather than gripe about how bad it is, why not just leave and go fly the "better" one? If all these negative words turned into action you could be top tier at the "better" airline by the end of the year.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by WBurcham
I think the major point is this.

NW frequent flyer program > DL FFP
NW elite handling > DL elite handling

NW IFE < DL IFE
NW crew < DL crew
NW planes on average < DL planes on average

The overall outcome:
NW + DL = average results of the programs. no best in class changes.

NW's domestic planes are an industry leader... in sucking. But they seem to forget that. NW's FFP was an industry leader... in quality. It's getting downgraded.

LOTS of members on both sides were expecting the best of both programs and airlines but it seems some areas the best was discarded FFP - (whether it be for tech or other issues).
Excellent summary, to which I'll add:

NW web & mobile technology > DL web & mobile
NW WorldClubs > DL SkyClubs
NW Scoop > RealDLInsider or SkyMilesInsider

If the changes remained the same, but DL had engaged, did some outreach, better communication, even forewarned NW elites about the coming changes, there would be a lot less moaning. Basic communication & hearing customers out goes a long way. The intergration is not over yet, but Jeff has already failed big time in that area.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
I hope everyone here understands that I am not complaining about anyone in particular. All is I am asking, is that, prior to posting, people ask if their post contributes to a better DL. If it doesn't, why post? Slam all you want, but it doesn't help DL become better if you don't follow it up with a written (not email) to DL.
really? you did in the other thread where you started the first letters of a few members... @:-)
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:25 pm

Argh... people trying to restrict debate have always been one of my pet peeves. Flyertalk is an open forum with a handful of simple rules to follow enacted by the board to maintain order, as such, people have the right to say whatever they want assuming it does not violate the terms of service.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
As a CO-loyalist who earned most of his miles on NW but will be ex-communicated next month:
NW=better FFP
DL=better airline
CO= better airline than DL and almost as good FFP as NW
My only problem is that I will hit lifetime Plat on AA well before I next earn status on DL or CO. So sad.

I rate the airlines:
VA>WN (even though I love 'em)>CO>AS>DL>B6>AA>UA>F9>US

BTW, I'm a lifetime member of the lounge programs of CO, DL and AA which does bias my opinions.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by TheMoose
With a merger, you get the wonderful opportunity to cherry pick the best of the acquired airline and leave the rest. How you cannot understand that is beyond me. And how DL has repeatedly dropped the ball in this regard is also beyond me.
Originally Posted by WBurcham

LOTS of members on both sides were expecting the best of both programs and airlines but it seems some areas the best was discarded FFP - (whether it be for tech or other issues).
Originally Posted by socrates
Thanks waltinsocal we like you too...what we dont like is the fact that midyear we're loosing benefits...we were promised "best of both/best in class" by Richard and Ed...unfortunately a reduction in benefits in most a reasonable persons view isn't "best of both/best in class" but these are subjective terms so I guess we really can't say we were lied too but in generations past after a good F***ing people usually were offered a cig, DL only offered us 5,000 miles...bad form on their part (as I recall you DL folks here on FT took out an advertisement some years ago to save your SkyMiles program...how are our comments any different? Your aren't suggesting the protests of the FT'ers back then is somehow different are you?)

"Best" is subjective and applies to POV. Of course we as customers wanted DL to cherry pick the things from both programs that favored the customer. An outsider with no bias as a flyer or airline employee might indeed deem the new SM program the "best".... best for both the customer AND the company.

My definition of best is $99 R/T coast-to-coast in FC with steak and lobster. Add to that two free R/T TATL in BE. But that would hardly be best for Delta.

What amazes me is how much FTers have latched on to the words "best in class". Ever stayed at a Best Western? or tasted Best Brands mayo? Are they both "the best"? I can't see getting worked up over this phrase when there are many more wildly misleading advertising practices going on at all airlines (phantom fares, "directs" with a stopover and change of equipment , "we're the biggest", etc).

Another surprise is the number of folks here that criticize the legacy business model and then go apesh!t when a legacy changes that model.

Originally Posted by muntz73
NWA patrons - don't forget that a very large % of DL's new management team came from NWA.
Amen. And they might very well have said to themselves "now is our chance to rectify some of the generous policies we had in the past (125%, comp comp UGs, UGs from x,y,z fares, etc).

And for the record. DL lets me choose my seat when I book. I have a BE TATL multi-city itin over the new year. On the DL segs I selected my seat, on the CO segments I was able to go to continental.com and select my seat, but on the NW and KLM portions I have to wait until 90 days out. If we have to hear about all the negatives (repeatedly) I want at least one positive to be spoken.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I would disagree about the WC's. The food may have been a bit better but I prefer the mixed drinks AND the computers. Often leave my computer behind but I was hopeful to meet new DL/NW Scoop....
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:04 pm

Walt did you learn your lesson today?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Excellent summary, to which I'll add:

If the changes remained the same, but DL had engaged, did some outreach, better communication, even forewarned NW elites about the coming changes, there would be a lot less moaning. Basic communication & hearing customers out goes a long way. The intergration is not over yet, but Jeff has already failed big time in that area.
Ah yes, better at everythign yet was bought out in this "merger".
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:13 pm

I have regularly slept with all the majors, except for only 3 flights on UA since 1969. I watch the DL, NW, CO and US boards as I have miles on all and will switch if my upgrade chances improve by switching, unless the service is real bad like it was on US.

NW provided the best use of my CO and NW miles. But we are suck with DL.

I think it is OK to complain and whine, but if you have a real concern write a letter to DL and/or file a complaint for each problem that arises with the US Department of Transportation. A goal of FlyerTalk should be a medium to exchange information and improve airline service.

Just try to keep a civil tone as we are all in this together whether we like it or not.

I like to complain about all my "partners" former and current.

Last edited by BF263533; Sep 10, 2009 at 9:18 pm
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Ah yes, better at everythign yet was bought out in this "merger".
Andy: not exactly a helpful comment , especially if you had read that I AGREED with WBurcham's points while adding a few of my own. @:-)
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
I can only guess here because I have a feeling that I may have lost my objectivity in all this. Heck I know I lack objectivity. So with that in mind I'd like to ask what it looks like from the 'other side'.

Have DL FF's lost much in the wake of the merger and/or the various 'revisions' that have occurred in the DL program?

I'm guessing the loss experienced by a DL FF is little to none by comparison with what a NW FF has percieved.

Even so I'm continually baffled by the acceptance of the way things are in the DL FF community. You guys are the legends who organized SOS and scored a huge retreat a few years ago when DL's benefit cuts went way too far. Even then you didn't get it all back but your victory was remarkable. Still I'm baffled - when DL promised a 'best in class' and delivered what it did -where did the spirit of SOS go?

Last edited by pmaddock; Sep 10, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.