Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4th Tier Announcement Tomorrow (6/28)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Skyclub costs $300 for PM's. So, these two benefits are a $600 to $700 benefit. I happen to think that is not an insignificant number. Add in the unlimited redeposit/reissue, and it could end up a much higher number for some people.
For some of us NW folk, our WC memberships cost a lot less than that when using the 3 year option. @:-) Oh, and we had real cheese all day, not "processed cheese food" that DL seems to perfer during happy hour.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by thezipper
Hmmmm this sounds EXACTLY like the NW Platinum Elite line service I have come to know and appreciate over the past 10 years as a NW Plat...
One thing it's not: "Exciting"
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Sitting at around 120,000 MQMs this year. Can book future travel as it arises, but now I am torn on what my next move is.

The SC benefit is not really useful to me as I have a membership paid by my employer. I will also probably not pay for an M fare to fly int'l.

I am happy to see the NW PE program returning, with its 125% bonus and all, but not really sure that it is worth 50,000 MQMs.

I was reminded of another NW benefit last night when I was stuck in Y on a DTW - SFO flight on NW. Today when my milage posted, I saw that nice 1,000 PLT bonus for not getting upgraded. Where is this benefit??? Doesn't seem like much, but it is a little bit of a perk for sitting in Y for 4 1/2 hours with no Wi FI or AVOD/IFE. I survived on my "Have One on us: Vouchers.... Maybe they should give DM's about 30 of those vouchers..

Despite my better judgement, I may be shooting for Gold on US as I fear that when fares begin to rise again, I may be stuck over there next year, rendering DM even more useless. The last thing I want to do is find myself with not status over there.. Might as well fly WN at that point!!!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
Originally Posted by mike_plat
Hmmm...so I guess that means I'll get 6 paper PMU's for DL, 6 paper PMU's for NW (that used to be electronic, but the programs will be merged in favor of paper). I'm already qualified for Diamond, so I can choose 6 more PMU's and if the Choice Rewards allow me to get the same thing twice, 6 more PMU's. So, I could have 24 by this time next year, and all 24 are not worth the 8 NW SWU's I still have in my account.
LOL
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Welcome to Delta Airlines where Platinum status gets devalued again and Diamond status is mostly nothing more than what DL-NW had previously offered top-tier elites before taking it away and now giving it back to just a small fraction of those Platinum members whose status was devalued by Delta Airlines management again and again and again.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 28, 2009 at 12:06 am
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:14 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), DL Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Welcome to Delta Airlines where Platinum status gets devalued again and Diamond status is mostly nothing more than what DL-NW had previously offered top-tier elites before taking it away and now giving it back to just a small fraction of those Platinum members whose status was devalued by Delta Airlines management again and again and again.
Indeed. If nothing else, the diamond details of this new 4th tier simply reinforces my decision to leave the new Delta for Continental/Star Alliance.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wschild

My point is for international fliers, you'd be better off at 100K level on UA or AA.
For the majority of those international fliers who travel enough to hit 50k miles per year and are using a US airline FF program, they are better off with AA and UA as DL management thinks of a huge segment of them and even Platinums as customers who are not valuable and who are easily replaceable.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by jimrpa
The rollover MQM idea is pretty neat.

Of course, it brings up an interesting strategic quandary for folks like myself. I'm currently at about 100K MQMs. Do I make the effort to go for Diamond OR do I not worry about hitting 125K, realizing that everything about 75K will roll over to next year. If I get close to 25K, I'll be close to Gold for next year.

From what I saw in the article, the big discriminator seems to be Complimentary SkyClub membership. I burn miles each for for a SkyClub membership anyway, so I'm not sure that a SkyClub membership alone is going to convince me that I should push for Diamond, instead of taking the rollover.

I don't think domestic upgrades would make a difference -even as a PM, I'll still be competing against the same (relatively) small population for those seats so the fact that one or two "diamonds" may trump me probably wont matter. Most likely, they would have trumped me as PMs anyway.

Maybe if "Diamonds" got a "hold that plane" benefit when they were on the last flight of the night? Suppose a Diamond is connecting in ATL to the last flight of the night to their destination but their inbound is late arriving (for example, JFK-ATL-MCO). If the Delta computer "saw" that there were Diamonds on the ATL-MCO flight AND computed that "holding" ATL-MCO wouldn't cause the crew to go illegal, the flight would be held until the connecting Diamonds were aboard?
I don't think the roll over benefit will be good this year. I believe it starts will miles accumulated in 2010.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:18 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy

Despite my better judgement, I may be shooting for Gold on US as I fear that when fares begin to rise again, I may be stuck over there next year, rendering DM even more useless. The last thing I want to do is find myself with not status over there.. Might as well fly WN at that point!!!
I actually think it is a smart move. Early this year I decided that it was not worth it to fly more on DL than the 75k MQMs required for PM. Since, I have been sending a fair amount of business to the competition.

Seeing that DL has kept the PMU's M+ requirement for TATL flights (instead of the real SWUs on AA and UA), I am really glad I did. I don't think the announced DM is competitive and it will not be until they offer SWU's like the competition (AA's EEP and UA's 1k) and reduce the qualification to 100k MQM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I'm just a bit confused by DM. It does, indeed, seem awfully weak. Yes, the extra bonus miles are nice, as is the CRC membership, but it just doesn't seem an overly compelling suite of benefits that might draw a lot of EXPs or and 1ks. That being said, if you are the right kind of traveler - domestic-heavy, paid J or redemptions for foreign travel, it could be attractive. Think about such a scenario for a 125k traveler. You would earn an additional 30k or so in mileage, have excellent upgrade rates, and lounge access.

But just how many such folks are there? If you use SWUs, then DM is a downgrade. If you want one of the lounge-bearing cards for other reasons, then DM is a downgrade. If you have more miles than you know what to do with, then DM is a downgrade. At 125k, it simply isn't a great status to my mind.

For everything else, though, I believe that this remains a competitive program. Yes, PMs lose 2 PMUs, but you still get 4 more than you would get at 75k with any other carrier. Besides, I thought they were useless - and now you get other choices that may be more valuable to you. At the end of the day, PM is very, very competitive with CO Plat, which is the primary competition at that point. The glaring shortfall remains no Elite Plus for Golds.

The real benefit, though, is the roll-over EQMs, and I think this is getting short-changed. This is a big benefit to my mind. Take the 90k flier. You aren't getting anything better for 90k, so PM is what it is, but you ain't qualifying for anything else. And the 15k roll-over gives you a lot of flexibility.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:50 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
First of all, it's on the website:

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...es_program.jsp

Secondly, it's stated: "Coming Spring 2010..."

So, don't worry about it this year...
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ADLFO
Once again, DL turned a prime opportunity to rise above the other a/ls into another episode of "let's see if we can put another one over on those silly FFers". Disappointing. I'm not blaming Jeff, but obviously he needs some lessons from Bob on staying power in battles with the nice people in Rev Mgmt.
He needs to be shown the door.

To his credit he undid Rob & Leo's damage when he first arrived, but that was pretty much a no-brainer. It's been downhill ever since.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:52 am

Thumbs down

Still not great given that one cannot use SWUs on lower fare classes.

Last edited by Angeleno228; Jul 28, 2009 at 1:16 am Reason: misunderstood new SWU upgrade window
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:53 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
For those of us that earn at least 37,500 MQM a year, this roll-over program means we'll alternate between Silver and Gold starting next year.

If I earn 37,500 MQM next year (in 2010), I'll end the year as a Silver (for 2011), but I'll start 2011 will 12,500 MQM in my account. If I earn 37,500 again in 2011, I'll earn Gold and be Gold for 2012. In 2012, the count starts over and this continues.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Secondly, it's stated: "Coming Spring 2010..."

So, don't worry about it this year...
But then again, it seems the roll-over starts immediately:

"Rollover benefit means Medallion Qualification Miles earned in 2009 above member's earned Medallion threshold level will be rolled over to 2010 and will count toward 2011 Medallion status qualification."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.