Wiki Posts
Search

4th Tier Announcement Tomorrow (6/28)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:07 pm

Thinking some more...

For an extra 50K MQM's I get:
2 PMU's = 50K miles
SkyClub Membership = $300/40K miles but it isn't a FULL YEAR, just till Feb '10.
25% mileage bonus = 31,250 (based on 125K flown)

Total "extra" for 50K MQM's = ~ 125K redeemable miles (or 1 RT J ticket to Europe at saver).

It'd have been nice to have 2 "saver at any price" type options or even just the PMU's elligible on lower fare classes. Not much of a reason to stay with DL above 75K. If this was a 100K threshold, I wouldn't be as :-( on the changes but for 66% more flying... this is not enough of a benefit.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
I would also add the DL has jacked up the mileage requirements so much that the extra 25% doesn't even cover the extra miles for premium cabins.

Try booking LAX-SYD. These planes are empty in BusinessElite, yet almost all are "mid" and "high" level redemptions, requesting 200K or more miles. (Remember the promise that mid/high would be on a few flights where there was a special event, like Nice during Cannes Festival. Hahahaha, that's a joke.) What special event is going on for 3 months in the middle of Sydney's winter?

Try AA/UA and the max you'll use are 135K in business LAX-SYD for a standard award and they have First Class if you want. For double miles on UA, any revenue seat. (AA is codeshare) Want to book an upgradeable fare? Delta is often 100% more than AA and at least 50% higher than UA. This is one example (LAX-SYD), but very similar issues to Brazil, Asia, Europe, etc.

My point is for international fliers, you'd be better off at 100K level on UA or AA. For non-captive hub fliers (like LAX), AA at 100K is pretty hard to beat. Unlimited free upgrades domestic (including Hawaii), 8 SWUs on nearly any fare...fully transferable. And AA offer ONE-WAY awards for 1/2 mileage. And free lounge access to Amex Plat as well. AA offers paid companion upgrades for all elites at their window. AA does NOT offer upgrade on award tickets.

I have plenty of UA complaints, BTW. But for top elites that want international upgrades, feel that Delta has one of the weaker programs.

Last edited by wschild; Jul 27, 2009 at 11:36 pm
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Here is DL's comparison chart, "Compare Delta with our competitor's loyalty programs".

I'm curious what significant items are not listed, and it could be enlightening if someone wanted to make a version of that chart which included columns for the 2008 or 2009 NW program and an old DL program.

BTW, that chart lists "Three Distinct Levels of Award Availability" as a benefit which is better than what the competitors offer. I suspect that some people here don't necessarily agree.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Having looked at the details on the new SWUs, all I can say is wow. Having already requalified for 1K, and requalifying for PM in a month or so, I was trying to figure out where to credit my flying for the last quarter. 50K with DL gets me 2 PMUs for Y/B/M, while 50K with United gets me 2 SWUs that I can use on fares that don't break the bank. Oh, and the ability to gift status to a friend. And a status miles that rollover to next year. Hmm... let me think hard about this for a minute.

Free CRC is nice, but it's only $250. The award fee waivers are worth well more than that given how many times one has to change awards to work within the SkyMiles system.

I sure hope that VIP phone line is gold---as it looks to me like the only real thing of value.

Yes, not being the absolute top tier on an airline does take the burnish off things---as GS has done to 1K at UA---but life goes on. There's certainly not a lot of value for that extra 50K MQMs in my book.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
BTW, that chart lists "Three Distinct Levels of Award Availability" as a benefit which is better than what the competitors offer. I do suspect that some people here don't necessarily agree.
Yup. 3 levels simply is an excuse to take away the lowest level. If Diamond had offered say 4 overrides to the lowest level -- now that would be a benefit.

I certainly hoped for more than the old NW program at higher miles.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus
Having looked at the details on the new SWUs, all I can say is wow. Having already requalified for 1K, and requalifying for PM in a month or so, I was trying to figure out where to credit my flying for the last quarter. 50K with DL gets me 2 PMUs for Y/B/M, while 50K with United gets me 2 SWUs that I can use on fares that don't break the bank. Oh, and the ability to gift status to a friend. And a status miles that rollover to next year. Hmm... let me think hard about this for a minute.

Free CRC is nice, but it's only $250. The award fee waivers are worth well more than that given how many times one has to change awards to work within the SkyMiles system.

I sure hope that VIP phone line is gold---as it looks to me like the only real thing of value.

Yes, not being the absolute top tier on an airline does take the burnish off things---as GS has done to 1K at UA---but life goes on. There's certainly not a lot of value for that extra 50K MQMs in my book.
I'm in a similar situation and agree.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
New post on the Delta Blog from Jeff.

Interesting note:
Also, keep in mind that as we roll out this new program, savvy SkyMiles members will be able to earn a few benefits twice. For example, if you earn 75,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) this calendar year, you’ll receive six Platinum Medallion system-wide upgrade certificates with your credential package. Then, once the Choice Benefits are implemented early next year, you’ll also have the option to receive four new system-wide upgrade certificates.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I'm curious what significant items are not listed, and it could be enlightening if someone wanted to make a version of that chart which included columns for the 2008 or 2009 NW program and an old DL program.
The one that jumps out is International Upgrades - AA and UA win hands down, and I'd say CO, despite not having SWUs, is even solely because you can upgrade using miles from any fare (just requires a co-pay, which base+co-pay is often still less than a DL M fare).

The one thing I'm seeing looking at that chart is DL is trying to be too many things to too many people - a peanut-butter approach. It seems they want everyone to love them - free upgrades for all! 500 mile mins for all! Instead of trying to please everyone, I'd much rather DL focus more on Diamond/Plats, focus a good bit on Golds, a bit less on Silvers, and not so much on regular members. I'd honestly much rather see DL dump the 500-mile minimum for non-elites and take that money saved and invest it in something special for the higher elites. What are the non-elites going to do about it? I tend to doubt the 500 mile minimum for non-elites was really swaying their decision to give money to Delta over UA/US/AA/CO (all of whom have no 500 mile min for non-elites). Take those liabilities off the books and re-invest the money elsewhere that could actually sway some more frequent customers to keep spending their money at Delta...
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Pure speculation, but I'm guessing Chisholm will become the VIP line.
????
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:27 pm

Here is DL's comparison chart, "Compare Delta with our competitor's loyalty programs".
DL is, of course, very selective in what they compare. UA/AA could easily post a 100K elite benefits chart and blow away Delta.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:28 pm

This also reinforces my decision to NOT get the DL Reserve card and hopefully some of the new Diamond's will downgrade their cards.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by wschild
DL is, of course, very selective in what they compare. UA/AA could easily post a 100K elite benefits chart and blow away Delta.
I mentioned this on the NW forum, and I'll mention it here.

I have some spare time tomorrow night. I wouldn't mind making a true comparison chart of the features. Feel free to post them in this thread, the NW forum's version of it, or shoot me a PM. I'll be doing a more full comparison between DL/UA/AA/CO (including what DL neglected to put in), as well as the NW 2008 Platinum Elite program as well...
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by DukieDrew
New post on the Delta Blog from Jeff.

Interesting note:

Hmmm...so I guess that means I'll get 6 paper PMU's for DL, 6 paper PMU's for NW (that used to be electronic, but the programs will be merged in favor of paper). I'm already qualified for Diamond, so I can choose 6 more PMU's and if the Choice Rewards allow me to get the same thing twice, 6 more PMU's. So, I could have 24 by this time next year, and all 24 are not worth the 8 NW SWU's I still have in my account.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_plat
Hmmm...so I guess that means I'll get 6 paper PMU's for DL, 6 paper PMU's for NW (that used to be electronic, but the programs will be merged in favor of paper). I'm already qualified for Diamond, so I can choose 6 more PMU's and if the Choice Rewards allow me to get the same thing twice, 6 more PMU's. So, I could have 24 by this time next year, and all 24 are not worth the 8 NW SWU's I still have in my account.
Keep in mind that SkyMiles and WorldPerks will be combined come October, so it'll only be one set of PMUs if already a requalifying Plat on both NW and DL...
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Once again, DL turned a prime opportunity to rise above the other a/ls into another episode of "let's see if we can put another one over on those silly FFers". Disappointing. I'm not blaming Jeff, but obviously he needs some lessons from Bob on staying power in battles with the nice people in Rev Mgmt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.