Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

New upgrade rules effective Jan 1, 2004... Happy Holidays from DL!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New upgrade rules effective Jan 1, 2004... Happy Holidays from DL!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Yes, this is good news, albeit, late. The problem is that many long term PM's moved away because of the new enhancements. Now that they have been reinstated, what is DL going to do to help those that were simply folloowing their rules?
Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:13 pm

Oh well, just when I was comped to NW WP Gold DL pulls a last minute coup. Those of us who stuck with DL this year should feel somewhat gratified. Now lets get this CO/NW/KLM etc. etc. merger fully implemented. (over 200k MQM this year...maybe all of my (OUR) emails/phone calls threatening to leave...along with everyone elses finally paid off)
Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:28 pm

Location: GSP DL 4MM/PM/FC, US Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Perhaps mikey1003 can resume his quest to finally be a Four Million Miler member of Delta Air Lines.</font>
Having arrived, not sure it's worth it.

Overall, this is a bit of good news in that DL management got a bit of a wake up call. Personally, I'm kind of happy at NW since they ran me off. I'll probably stick with NW and use DL as my back up carrier. So much for the lion's share of my $50k annual airfare budget.

[Edited to fix formatting errors.]

[This message has been edited by RRWhite (edited Dec 17, 2003).]
Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congrats guys, my intel says that you had a good bit to do with this decision.

Personally, I am better off than before either way. That being said DL lost about 100,000 MQM's from me this year that they would have had if the last two months changes had been announced earlier in the year (The extra PMU's and reduced mile requirements plus these newest changes). I'm still PM, and DL didn't totally lose me, but they could have gotten a lot more out of me!
Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
What a great way to start the evening on FlyerTalk!! This is a great move on DL's part and thanks are due to the folks on SSM and to the folks at DL who have the brains to push for these changes.

BTW - for the few people still complaining about 50% MQM's, it's really almost 75% MQM's now that the minimum is 750 miles (as long as you're a short hop flyer).
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:17 pm

Location: FLL; DL PM; CO Silver; Hilton Diamond; Priority Club Gold; Hertz PC; National Emerald; et al
WOW.....!!!!

To all those naysayers of SSM...... Let's here from you now!

We not only won the battle (qualification) by having the 750M rule benefit short-haul fliers, but won the war of upgrades.

Now with Leo gone, maybe we'll be able to have some more mainline flights reinstated and see some RJ flights disappear...!!!

I'm sitting on 123.5K MQM... No reason to go on a 1.5K mileage run for (2) PMU - don't need them anymore...!!!
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
It's sad we had to go through all of this hassle to wind up here. I have now credited a flight to DL but my MQM on DL metal still stands at 0 for the year. I'll be demoted one level per previously announced rules. That didn't have to be.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:24 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by runningshoes:
BTW - for the few people still complaining about 50% MQM's, it's really almost 75% MQM's now that the minimum is 750 miles (as long as you're a short hop flyer).</font>
I just recalculated the four trips I have booked already for 2004. All on Delta. One in K and the others LUT. A total of 16 sebments with all but 4 short hops.

Old Calculations
6803 Total MQM
$1,175.50 Total Airfare
11606 Total Miles
$0.17 Cost per MQM
$0.10 Cost per Mile

New Calculations
8736 Total MQM
$1,175.50 Total Airfare
11606 Total Miles
$0.13 Cost per MQM
$0.10 Cost per Mile

Although I would prefer 100% MQM credit, I can live with the new plan.

Thanks for making the change Delta! I was still debating whether or not to count those first four trips of 2004 in my WorldPerks Account and move the remainder of my travel to them. I am happy I can feel better sticking with Delta even though I will drop to Silver after 8 years as Gold under the old segment qualification scheme.

------------------
Frequent travel to: ABE, BDL, EYW, GNV, MDT, OKC, PDX, and RDU.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heckler:

I think you pegged it. Any talking head from a big corporation is always going to put a good spin on something, especially something which blew up in their faces. It's standard procedure - perception management. DL would rather the ugliness go away and not admit (if true) that customer complaints caused the about face.

[This message has been edited by heckler (edited Dec 17, 2003).]
</font>
Indeed...in corporate parlance it is referred to as 'buffing the turd'.

Perhaps since Leo has gone the Bozone layer in Atlanta has started to lift...
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chemeng:
Seems to be true. It's being reported by the Cincinnati Enquirer.

http://www.enquirer.com/midday/12/12...day_delta.html
</font>
Not that andymo99 needs my input in any way, but for those of you who doubt the information that has been brought to light by andymo99:

Although I may not know andymo99 personally, I trust his word. If he says give it time until the information posts at www.delta.com then let’s be patient. To my knowledge, I know one thing is for sure: andymo99 would never post anything misleading.

His word is already backed up by the Cincinnati Enquirer story.

While I certainly understand the healthy attitude of “seeing is believing”, I seriously doubt that andymo99 would post this information if he had any doubts about it himself.

I believe him.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:55 pm

Will be on website 0800 EST Thursday, 18 Dec.

Imagine how long the standby upgrade list at the airport will be. Every Medallion will be on the list.

I wonder whether waitlist will be closed at 100 hours for PMs. How many seats will be held in reserve.

Poor FOs and GMs still won't be able to upgrade in high demand markets unless Y or B fare.

I'm sure glad I stuck out 2003 with DL using my PM benefits and will be around in 2004 again to use my PM benefits. Now, I have to hit the calculator to see if I can make PM in 2005 or whether I will only make GM.

So long Mikey!

marc
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:55 pm

Location: FLL; DL PM; CO Silver; Hilton Diamond; Priority Club Gold; Hertz PC; National Emerald; et al
Just got off the phone with Skymiles...

Person heard nothing of changes.
Put me on hold for 10 minutes.
Came back and said there were no changes announced.... VERY SAD (And a bit upset at Andymo99).

Firfteen minutes later my cell phone rings....
It's Jason with Skymiles Service Center.

"Just wanted to call you back and tell you I found the information on Skymiles changes..."

He stated they will be posted on delta.com tomorrow.

Everything posted by Andy is confirmed with Skymiles.

They have kept my business for 2004 & beyond...!!!! Way to go Skymiles...!!!

I just wish I hadn't told a SMS agent earlier in the day that I hated delta :-(
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:56 pm

I am interested in seeing what they officially publish about their rules. Frankly, the .5LUT issue is an impediment to me reaching gold in 2004.

For now I will remain with NW. To be honest, I find it difficult to just forgive and forget how Delta treated their best customers this year. I can qualify this perspective with all the right parameters and such, but it concisely states how I feel.

Old Dec 17, 2003, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">To be honest, I find it difficult to just forgive and forget how Delta treated their best customers this year.[/B]</font>
Don't expect any overt gestures of apology on DL's part.. Corporate perception management 101 is to quickly gloss over unpopular decisions, lest they drive off more customers and their precious money.

I do feel for the people who were driven off to other airlines with better service, though. In their heart, they wanted to stay with Delta, but DL didn't want them.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 8:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CountinPlaces:
I am interested in seeing what they officially publish about their rules. Frankly, the .5LUT issue is an impediment to me reaching gold in 2004.

For now I will remain with NW. To be honest, I find it difficult to just forgive and forget how Delta treated their best customers this year. I can qualify this perspective with all the right parameters and such, but it concisely states how I feel.

</font>
I agree what they did was terrible in 2003. Patrice is back-pedalling on that in the enquirer article - they were just taking it out for a test drive. Shame on them for all ove the boilerplate letters they sent repeating all the babble about how this was in our best interest.

However, I STRONGLY side with Delta on the 1/2 qualification on LUT fares. They need something to drive fares higher. This truly rewards the higher revenue passenger and gives them the best rewards. Even an LUT flier has a pretty good shot at requalification with the 750MQM threshold. Short-haul K+ fliers are a little worse off than before, but still sitting pretty good - and in first class I might add.

Delta has made the rewards better and qualification just a little harder. I think this is a win for both the company and the traveler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.