Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

New upgrade rules effective Jan 1, 2004... Happy Holidays from DL!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New upgrade rules effective Jan 1, 2004... Happy Holidays from DL!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
Here is another change specifically for mikey1003:</font>
Perhaps mikey1003 can resume his quest to finally be a Four Million Miler member of Delta Air Lines.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
Miles used to calculate the Medallion Qualification formula now will be based on a 750-mile minimum or actual miles flown, whichever is greater. Delta previously had a 500-mile minimum. This change should help predominately short-haul/segment flyers maintain or move up in Medallion status.</font>
Does reverting back to miles flown versus the .5, 1.5 and 2x multiplier make the SM program that much better or on par with what it was before? Unfortunately, I can't remember! This year's battle has fried my brain cells.. but you'd still have to hit the 25, 50 and 100K targets to become a medallion, but would get there slower, n'est pas? (Unless you flew alot more and gave delta more business)

[This message has been edited by heckler (edited Dec 17, 2003).]
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

As I originally posted in this thread:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Upgrades should no longer expire.</font>
...and they don’t anymore, as they will now be unlimited!

I do not know why Delta Air Lines did not implement this policy sooner. Other airlines such as Continental Airlines had a similar policy in place for years.

By the way, I wonder whatever happened to bruceb...
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
By the way, I wonder whatever happened to bruceb...</font>
He's probably installing Kiosks or manning the next implementation of the SkyDeli cart!
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Heckler, I am not sure I understand your question.

High fare flyers will get there faster thanks to the 1.5 and 2.0x multipliers. LUT flyers will get there slower due to 0.5x.

The 750 mile minimum will benefit everyone who ever flies &lt;750 miles, and the benefit will be disproportionately weighted toward those who fly more &lt;750 mile routes.

Someone who flies 300 mile routes on K fares can now qualify for PM with 133 segments. On M fares, it will only take 89 segments. On T fares, it will take 267 segments.

And please note that the 750 mile minimum is only for MQM purposes, and not for actual skymiles awarded.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:19 pm

Heckler, I am not sure I understand your question.

High fare flyers will get there faster thanks to the 1.5 and 2.0x multipliers. LUT flyers will get there slower due to 0.5x.

The 750 mile minimum will benefit everyone who ever flies &lt;750 miles, and the benefit will be disproportionately weighted toward those who fly more &lt;750 mile routes.

Someone who flies 300 mile routes on K fares can now qualify for PM with 133 segments. On M fares, it will only take 89 segments. On T fares, it will take 267 segments.

And please note that the 750 mile minimum is only for MQM purposes, and not for actual skymiles awarded.
</font>

Sorry, I misread.. I thought they meant that all medallion qualification would be reverting to simply a total of all the miles "in the seat".. 25K flown (without multipliers) = SM. So ok, i'm tracking now, we are only talking about a change to the minimum miles flown.

Back to our regular programming..
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:23 pm

While I was waiting to pick up a friend at the airport today, a little birdie let me in on some of the details from a DL memo circulated by Patrice Miles today.

I imagine this will be posted to Delta.com soon.

Happy travels to all!
</font>

Here it is: http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about/...ades/index.jsp
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
This is great news for upgrades, but still leaves the question of qualification. I guess it's better than what they were talking about with 20 points at the beginning of the year for PMs.

swps

[This message has been edited by swps (edited Dec 17, 2003).]
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
While this will not help me personally (my flights are almost all international) I think that it represents a great improvement for Delta.

Combined with the relaxation in granting elite status that we have seen over the past few weeks, it will put Delta in a position to not only keep its current SkyMiles members but also to start luring frequent flyers from other airlines.

Delta's elite flyers spoke (with both words and their feet) and, after a full year, Delta finally listened. It may have taken a while (and Leo's departure) but in the end Delta made a solid and wise business decision which I predict is going to pay off big time.

I congratulate Delta and I think that Delta should give a big "thank you" to SSM. As it turned out, it was Delta's critics, not those who blindly supported it, that showed Delta the way to build its revenues.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:31 pm

I can't help but think that DL simply realized that with the CO/NW alliance, something regarding upgrades had to be done. Irrespective of its particular faults with regards to equitable and fair upgrade allowances, the upgrade system in its previous and current (12/03) incarnations was simply far too complicated for any mere mortal to understand.

The 750 mile minimum is good news as well, and I think that is an acceptable compromise for short segment flyers.

Congratulations to SaveSkyMiles and its organizers. For those of us frustrated by short-sighted or ill-informed decisions made by large corporations, this is truly remarkable.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond

This is all well and good and a step in the right direction, but I have a few questions:

1. If you are an outgoing FO due to the new changes, what does this do to the 500 milers that are left and expire 31 Dec 2004? Am I going to lose them now?

2. So if I booked a T fare for Jan 7 a few months with a companion with the possibility of getting an upgrade for the 2 of us at the 12 hour window, is that now out the window unless I call up and go up to K fares?
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
I really have to wonder what really caused this change to the SM program at such a late date in 2003 by the Delta Management.

Was it AA, SSM, customer complaints, the departure of Leo, the loss of so many elite FFs, etc., or most likely a combination of all? If you read the article in the Cincinnati newspaper, Patrice Miles gives the reason for these changes a real positive spin. I guess we will never know the real reasoning behind these reversals (for once true "enhancements") to the SM program the DL management.

Whatever the reasons I think that congratulations to SSM are in order.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OrlandoFlyer:
I really have to wonder what really caused this change to the SM program at such a late date in 2003 by the Delta Management.

Was it AA, SSM, customer complaints, the departure of Leo, the loss of so many elite FFs, etc., or most likely a combination of all? If you read the article in the Cincinnati newspaper, Patrice Miles gives the reason for these changes a real positive spin. I guess we will never know the real reasoning behind these reversals (for once true "enhancements") to the SM program the DL management.

Whatever the reasons I think that congratulations to SSM are in order.
</font>

I think you pegged it. Any talking head from a big corporation is always going to put a good spin on something, especially something which blew up in their faces. It's standard procedure - perception management. DL would rather the ugliness go away and not admit (if true) that customer complaints caused the about face.

For what it's worth.. I think it was a combination of everything you mentioned above - but the surveys, letters and feedback from customers I think played a big part.

[This message has been edited by heckler (edited Dec 17, 2003).]
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Very smart move on DL's part. Keeps folks loyal-- prospect of no-cost upgrades on most flights for a PM/GM definately outweighs fact that DL's coach seats can't compete with AA/UA (Since there's virtually no "free" upgrades on AA/UA). Move is enough to make me stand up and consider whether DL package is worth switching from AA/UA. Will put some pressure on AA/UA and that's a good thing for us all.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Just when I thought the future course was clear, DL goes and muddies the water!
Now I have to decide whether to take the NW FF# off my FC NW flight to HNL and put the DL number back. Decisions, decisions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.