Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

New upgrade rules effective Jan 1, 2004... Happy Holidays from DL!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New upgrade rules effective Jan 1, 2004... Happy Holidays from DL!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by greg:
DL package is worth switching from AA/UA. Will put some pressure on AA/UA and that's a good thing for us all.</font>

Not as long as DL makes discounted coach tickets worth only .5 elite miles per mile flown.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by outtolunch:

Here it is: http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about/...ades/index.jsp
</font>
No. That is actually the previous update. What I have posted is not at your link... though perhaps it soon will be.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You have to wonder what kinds of discussion took place on Virgina Ave that caused this DRASTIC change to take place. Wow.

You know somebody is pointing out that lots of customers FLEW OTHER CARRIERS since the prospect of upgrades was so slim in Delta's future. Now, they bring them back, but at what loss?

Side note - Unlimited never really seemed to make much sense, even as I flew as a PM for some many years. When you earned them, even at a HIGH rate, it made you think twice about using them up. And even better for DL, people worked hard at earning them. But, that kind of logic is way past what DL is capable of.

When I was given my Flying Colonel and rec'd a 5 year CRC card, I met with a Sr VP of Marketing and asked why they did not send a new one each year, to make it LOOK more valuable. No answer.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:17 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
If only I had been living in a hole for the past year - I never would have known about the old pending changes (like most of DL's FFs)and never would have changed my travel pattern, earning PM again.
I guess in this case, ignorance is bliss.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:24 pm

I'm very surprised and pleased by this move, if it pans out.

[This message has been edited by gilpin (edited Dec 17, 2003).]
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:25 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NYNOVA:
The 750 mile minimum is good news as well, and I think that is an acceptable compromise for short segment flyers. </font>
#1. I can't seem to find this change noted officially on www.delta.com. Did I miss it?

#2. Am I correct to assume that 750-mile minimum translates to 375 MQM for L, U, and T fares? So, they are giving out a whopping 125 extra MQM's?

At any rate, very welcome news although I must still question whether full EQM for any fare on Northwest is a better deal. They already offered unlimited spade-available upgrades.

------------------
Frequent travel to: ABE, BDL, EYW, GNV, MDT, OKC, PDX, and RDU.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:29 pm

The website as it now stands states that unlimited upgrades are for Y and B fares only for GM and FO. That implies the old MSU's will still be used for all other fares.

[This message has been edited by gilpin (edited Dec 17, 2003).]
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Silver
WOW!

I can not beleive that they actually gave in this much! I really feel as though SSM has really accomplished something that will be standard for the airline industry to go by. That standard should be to never tick off your best customers. I will give DL 100% of my business in 2004 if they let me keep my GM status. GREAT WORK SSM!
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Glad for relief in this market, but I still miss the system-wide upgrades that kept me flying Delta on almost all my international trips.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gilpin:
The website as it now stands states that unlimited upgrades are for Y and B fares only for GM and FO. That implies the old MSU's will still be used for all other fares.
</font>
The website does not yet reflect the information circulated to DL employees today. Give it a little time.

Of course, if this is a little hoax on my part, I had better watch our for the SSM lynchmob
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:

...and they don’t anymore, as they will now be unlimited!..
</font>
Not according to the website. They will only be unlimited for YBM for PM and YB for GM and FO.

Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gilpin:
Not according to the website. They will only be unlimited for YBM for PM and YB for GM and FO.

</font>
Ye of little faith.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
The website does not yet reflect the information circulated to DL employees today. Give it a little time.

</font>
I didn't see this post before my last one andy. I hope you are correct!

Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DFWRaider:

Not as long as DL makes discounted coach tickets worth only .5 elite miles per mile flown.
</font>
That is my position as well.

However, this is at least a step in the right direction and I think SSM had something to do with it.

Despite my switch to US, I will follow these developments with interest.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Yay! Leo's insULT beast finally gets slain.

DL came to its senses and decided it was better to fly a full FC section and give everyone at least some chance at an upgrade than to lock people out and run them off. Flying empty FC seats to give the higher-fare payers an air of exclusivity cost DL more than it "saved."

OTOH, the 50% MQMs remains a deal-breaker for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.