Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CSA Czech Airlines Information

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2004, 1:16 pm

Not bad at all

You might want to search a bit farther into the archives as there have been some earlier postings, but my JFK-PRG trip last year was just fine. The planes are a bit older - first/biz is about like DL's current domestic first, with more recline. Seats are OK, no individual inflight entertainment (but I sleep, so I don't care), food was excellent, beer even better. My PRG-MAN flight was great. I'm surprised at the comments about surly staff - the crews were some of the nicest I've run into in a while (like Delta in the 80's).
Old Oct 15, 2004, 1:23 pm

More on FA's

Just rembered : Another example of the CSA flight attendents:
A co-worker of mine, on her last trip coming back from PRG.
She was in coach with a large group. In the 2nd to last row way, way in the back of the plane.. A gentlemen wanted to recline his seat. The FA told him that he can't, because she was going to be sitting right behind him. How rude is that? Have many more stories like that. But never know just can get lucky & just get a smiling cabin crew.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
I flew with my family last year from JFK-PRG-LED. The Airbus to PRG was very nice, decent food, tons of stuff for the kids and free drinks(which is more than I can say for DL transatlantic flights. The inter-european flights were great as well.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Titanium
Flew on CSA last year from JFK-BUD and then VIE-EWR. Flights were packed to the gills but the service was pretty good - I can't imagine that coach in DL or AF is that much better. The fares were very reasonable.

Checkin on the way back took sometime but since we were there early, it wasn't a big issue.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG GLD, HH GLD, Hyatt Plat
Had the "opportunity" to take a couple of CSA flights this past year, translantic and intra-eur...those experiences generated this guide that I'm now using: CSA translantic (PRA-JFK) is ok in FC, but won't do it in coach anymore (food, FA svc, seat comfort, etc. just isn't worth saving a connection through CDG), CSA intra-europe ok if flight is about an hour (most are) as long as mentally one tells one self "I'm getting MQM's and not connecting in CDG, I'm getting MQM's and not connecting in CDG, <repeat often>" The seat pitch intra-eur in coach is very tight...regardless of what's advertised. Oh, and if you do fly them from PRA to USA, go direct to the gate and go through the additional security there as early as you can...in the 40mins before departure, it's a zoo as both the JFK & EWR flights leave at about the same time from adjacent gates, and they route passengers for both flights through the same 3 x-ray/detector machines at the same time.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:18 am

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by RDU-DL&SPG
Oh, and if you do fly them from PRA to USA, go direct to the gate and go through the additional security there as early as you can...in the 40mins before departure, it's a zoo as both the JFK & EWR flights leave at about the same time from adjacent gates, and they route passengers for both flights through the same 3 x-ray/detector machines at the same time.
Thanks for the report, RDU..Out of curiosity, 1) is the CSA intereuropean BC any different than coach in configuration? 2) is there a dedicated BC for general/gate specific security line and 3) are things equally chaotic when going PRG-CDG? -Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Czech Air-Intra Europe-Kudos

Over the holidays, Mrs 49er and I went Gatwick-Prague and Prague-Edinburgh. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Smiling faces, great attitudes, meals, both hot (when was the last time you saw THAT in coach) and cold, and great lounge in Prague. They seem to be really getting past that eastern bloc mentality that is so evident every where else in the former eastern bloc.

We think that they could be the best intra Europe option available.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:19 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Over the holidays, Mrs 49er and I went Gatwick-Prague and Prague-Edinburgh. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Smiling faces, great attitudes, meals, both hot (when was the last time you saw THAT in coach) and cold, and great lounge in Prague. They seem to be really getting past that eastern bloc mentality that is so evident every where else in the former eastern bloc.

We think that they could be the best intra Europe option available.
That is good to hear as Mrs. Duck and me will fly on the airline to-and-from CDG.

However, I must take issue with your overly generous generalization that the Check Republick is the only former "iron-curtain" country who has shed it's Eastern Block Mentality. Having traveled extensivedly in Croatia, Poland, Hungary, Former East Germany and Slovakia, I find that all of these, have worked, equally hard, to much success IMHO, to shed their past, permitting most of these Nations now to be part of EU (and NATO).
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:27 pm

I love Czech. I even toyed with the idea of putting my miles with them and getting elite status. They give free upgrades (like our medallion upgrades) systemwide to top elites! Even JFK-PRG!

There service is also great, they are so friendly! I met a lady going from London to PRG in Biz class that did the commute every week for about 10 years. She said her company pushes her to fly BA because they are cheaper with a corp discount, but she insists on Czech. The FA's were some of the best I have ever seen. On the short J flight, they made me feel like I was in international First. They apparently have a lead FA who's main job it is to insure that the customers are treated right and well.

I will fly them anytime I have the option in the feature!

BTW: Prague is a great city!
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:30 pm

I flew OK (Czech Air) from Prague to New York in coach in October and was generally pleased with the food and service (generous liquor policy too). The only oddities were a 30 some year old Czech movie they showed and bathrooms that were built of industrial strength metal fixtures.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck

However, I must take issue with your overly generous generalization that the Check Republick is the only former "iron-curtain" country who has shed it's Eastern Block Mentality.
Further clarification: Czech Republic-big difference from pre "Iron Curtain" to today. Still noticable from Western Europe.

Have a great flight! We were so impressed, Mrs49er is using Czech Airlines in April-DFW-ATL-JFK-PRG-OTP-CDG and back! ABAF (Anyone but Air France)

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jan 8, 2005 at 10:42 pm
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
On 9/11 my son was traveling TLV-PRA-JFK. His flight had just passed England when it was ordered to turn around because of the attack on the WTC.

Czech Air only announced that there were weather problems in North America (good idea -- as it avoided panic) but when they got back to PRA had printed news accounts available.

They then provided my son with a hotel, at their expense, for 3 or 4 nights (I can't recall how many) until flights were allowed to resume.

In every respect, they showed themselves to be a class act.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 6:46 am

Dovster:

I know a lot of Israelis who love to vacation in Prague. Is there a reason for it? Is Prague "in" for now? Can you shed any light?

Thanks

MSP2000
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by MSP2000
Dovster:

I know a lot of Israelis who love to vacation in Prague. Is there a reason for it? Is Prague "in" for now? Can you shed any light?

Thanks

MSP2000
To my great embarrassment, I have to admit that I have never been there. However, I have been told that it is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe -- and hence the large flow of tourists from Israel.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Canarsie flew over the pond and hopscotched around Europe on CZ a few weeks ago. He seemed generally happy with the experience. I'm sure he'll weigh in on this thread when he notices it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.