Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpertFlyer and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 7:35 am

On two different occasions I have confirmed Z availability to upgrade an international M fare and then when I called to make the reservation had a DL CSA tell me there was no Z availability. After nicely asking "Are you sure? Could you double-check these specific flights?", the agent then said "Oh, now I see it." So had I relied just on the agent, I would not have been given the opportunity to upgrade those two fares. Reason enough for me to be a firm believer in EF as a valuable tool.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Expert flyer subscription

I'm seriously considering a subscription to EF. Other than Z upgrade ability what other features do you find the most useful? On average I make about 10 long haul flights per year. Thanks.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:39 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
In addition to viewing upgrade inventory, I use it to scout things out when doing SDC.

It also helps to be able to quickly and easily view all of the fares in a given market and to read the fare rules on those fares. For example, you can put in a city pair with dates of travel, and then see every fare in that market (from all carriers or from specific carriers you select). This is a nice way, for example, to quickly get an idea of the difference between a K fare and an M fare and an A/D fare in a given market.

It's well worth the money.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM
It's great in IRROPS when you just need a seat, any seat. Many times I've been able to find something on my BlackBerry while the agent is still typing away looking in front of me. Getting the agent to listen that I found something, well that can sometimes be frustrating
Old May 11, 2009, 11:35 am

It looks like a good deal for $9.99 a month. Thanks.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rth-delta.html
Old May 11, 2009, 1:02 pm

Thanks, not sure how I missed that thread. Normally my dates of travel aren't that flexible. Most of my trips have been TATL but this summer will be looking for the new LAX/SYD flight. I guess I'll know pretty quickly if I'll be able to upgrade to BE or not.
Old May 11, 2009, 1:33 pm

The basic plan is $4.99 a month http://www.expertflyer.com/find-upgrades-and-awards
Old May 11, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Reasons for EF

Monitor upgrade chances on any flight.
Monitor SDC options.
Verify Z inventory for M+ BE fares.
Monitor capacity for potential IDB.

Not sitting in coach....Priceless.
Old May 11, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by avflyer
Reasons for EF

Monitor SDC options.

Not sitting in coach....Priceless.
All of the above - I wouldn't have been upgraded on 40% of my flights without it.
Old May 11, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
I've subscribed for two or three years. For $9.99 a month, it is easily worth it--even if you don't use it that often.
Old May 11, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
ExpertFlyer would be a LOT more useful if it also showed O and R availability. Then one could avoid the horrible award calendar on delta.com.

It also has some other glaring holes, like no award or upgrade inventory on CO or UA. I also don't like the interface changes they made around the beginning of this year. That said, I have subscribed to EF for some time. It is good value for me as it gives full coverage of all NW award and upgrade buckets.

KVS may be a better option for DL. I think it can show the DL award buckets.
Old May 11, 2009, 3:10 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripe
KVS may be a better option for DL. I think it can show the DL award buckets.
You think correctly .
Old May 11, 2009, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by upgrader
On two different occasions I have confirmed Z availability to upgrade an international M fare and then when I called to make the reservation had a DL CSA tell me there was no Z availability. After nicely asking "Are you sure? Could you double-check these specific flights?", the Delta agent then said "Oh, now I see it." So had I relied just on the agent, I would not have been given the opportunity to upgrade those two fares. Reason enough for me to be a firm believer in EF as a valuable tool.
I was sitting in my travel agent's, looking at his monitor showing Z availability when the Delta agent told me there wasn't any. (I didn't argue - I hung up and called right back.)

Before you ask why he'd let me do this for nothing - I was buying a very expensive cruise from him and I wanted my AMEX 5% back from delta.com - Alas, no more after Friday.

Last edited by marilyn35406; May 11, 2009 at 3:37 pm Reason: clarification.
Old May 11, 2009, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Reasons for EF

A number of free tools (seatcounter, edelman and even DL.com) can do this.

Monitor SDC options.
Seatcounter is all you need.

Agreed.

NO publicly available tool can do this. Just because a flight appears to have zero availability not necessarily mean it is overbooked. Just because they are still selling seats does not mean that is is not already overbooked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.