Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
So, where should the cutoff be in these "close" situations?
Old Dec 25, 2003, 10:40 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
288 miles short for Silver for next year

Currently I am Silver Med. I am 288 miles short of 25,000 miles to requalify for next year.
On Sept. 24 AMEX was supposed to post 5000 MQM miles(for upgrading from their Gold to a Platinum DL Skymiles card) on my DL account. These miles as well as my October, November and December miles are all being "rejcected" by DL. AMEX blames DL and DL blames AMEX--I am caught in the middle.
I have two questions:
(1)Even without the 5000 MQM(which would push me over the 25,000 threshhold), would DL still give me Silver(being only 288 miles short)?
(2)If (1) were to occur, could I use the 5000 miles to count for Silver for 2005? As noted above they were supposed to transfer over on 9/24 but are still in pending.
Does anyone have further experience on this issue?
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:05 pm

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
On point (1), get on a plane. Take a web fare special next weekend. There is a 0% chance that Delta will comp you to Silver based on past experience of everyone on this board. It would be a really, really long shot for them to make an exception and you would need to get a supervisor at the special member servie department to document your record to have any chance of an exception to the rule. Get lots of names if they do promise to make an exception.

As for the 5000 points, Delta counts MQM miles when they post to their system. So if it posts on January 1 then it counts towards 2004 MQM's.

Good luck!
Old May 9, 2004, 8:40 pm

Lightbulb Bump!

This is a good thread for the choices promotion. I thought I would bump it to the top for any new ideas since time is running out!
Old May 19, 2004, 2:29 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Is this a glitch?

Just booked ATL-SFO RT for $398.20 in First(A)!!! ^

(8556 MQM)

Last edited by belle3388; May 19, 2004 at 2:32 am Reason: clarification
Old May 19, 2004, 6:15 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by belle3388
Just booked ATL-SFO RT for $398.20 in First(A)!!! ^

(8556 MQM)
It looks like that same A fare is available to Los Angeles for $398.20 if booked for a trip a week in advance, for example, but it almost doubles when trying to book the same fare later in the summer.

I am uncertain as for what is the reason for this special A-fare pricing.

Thank you for sharing this great find with us, belle3388!
Old May 19, 2004, 9:03 am

I just booked PBI-ATL-SFO in A, out/back on 5/26 for 498.12 for a total of 11556 MQM. Not the best, but pretty good, expecially since it puts me over the top for PM with anticipated travel. Need PM for PBI since there are so many here!
Old May 19, 2004, 9:07 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks Belle for ATL-SFO tip - I just booked it for $398.20 in First (A)
It appears that the fare is only good until 6-15
Old May 19, 2004, 9:37 am

Thanks, belle.

I am making a one day mileage run next week ATL-SFO on an A fare and was pretty happy at $662 rt for 8000+ MQMs. Need that to max out on great choices promo. After your post I checked online to find the price reduced to $530. Called to change my fare and said "there appears to be a cheaper rate for my flight" the rep checked and said " WOW, that fare is $398." Surprise for me!! He changed the rate and credited the difference on my AMEX. Thanks for the info. Just reduced my cost per MQM to a little over $0.045.
Great post!
Old May 19, 2004, 11:57 am

Did you get "full" $ credit for your refund?

Addbud I have a question about your refund. You said:

"I am making a one day mileage run next week ATL-SFO on an A fare and was pretty happy at $662 rt for 8000+ MQMs. Need that to max out on great choices promo. After your post I checked online to find the price reduced to $530. Called to change my fare and said "there appears to be a cheaper rate for my flight" the rep checked and said " WOW, that fare is $398." Surprise for me!! He changed the rate and credited the difference on my AMEX. Thanks for the info. Just reduced my cost per MQM to a little over $0.045."

Did you get the full $264 diff credited on your AMEX or did you have to pay a change fee of $100?

Tempus Fugit
Old May 19, 2004, 12:06 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
They are fully refundable fares. Look online at the fare rules when you go to book them.
Old May 19, 2004, 12:45 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jfulcher
They are fully refundable fares. Look online at the fare rules when you go to book them.
@@ Yes, not only these fares are refundable, they are changeable, with NO penalty!

You're welcome, addbud, Tomphot and Canarsie. I went and booked one more trip for travel in June. Same, $398.20. Incredible.

Last edited by belle3388; May 19, 2004 at 12:52 pm
Old May 19, 2004, 1:46 pm

Thumbs up Wow!

Originally Posted by Canarsie
It looks like that same A fare is available to Los Angeles for $398.20 if booked for a trip a week in advance....
No, not a week in advance. I found just now this fare (ATL-LAX) for travelling this weekend! Booked it for hubby to see m-i-l, and also in June!

Thanks, :-: Canarsie :-: !
Old May 19, 2004, 2:39 pm

T F,
No change fee on A fare. These are going fast. My return flight is showing full in first, but I already had a seat at the higher price. Won't be many gate upgrades on these fares. I hope I make my return with a 1 hour turnaround in SFO. Quick peak at the CRC.
Old May 19, 2004, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
The other day I happened to reprice an itinerary that I have in Business Class from MEM-LAX (May 22-May25) and found that it was $300 less than I had paid for my original ticket. I called Delta and they immediately refunded the difference. BTW, the lower fare was about what that particular route and fare class normally was, so I felt better about the ticket.

Because of this thread and another started earlier today, I checked the same itinerary today and found that the price had gone down another $400 to $690!! I called Delta and this time they issued me a voucher for the difference as my original ticket was nonrefundable and the first person made a mistake in simply issuing a refund.

The strange thing is that I just repriced the same itinerary a couple of hours later and it's back up to the normal price of $1,100. (OK, I may have too much time on my hands). In other words, I am very pleased that because of Flyer Talk I hit an apparently short window, open today only, and saved $400. Unfortunately, an itinerary to PBI in "A" class also went up from $400 earlier today, back to its normal $980 as of now, and I hadn't yet made a decision to book.

Does any one know what's going on here? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.