Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Just How Many SkyMiles Medallion Members Are There?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just How Many SkyMiles Medallion Members Are There?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by underattack
The question about how many medallion customers there are keeps coming up. I came across this line in a recent "Sky Priority" e-mail [1]:

"Sky Priority eligible customers fly 28 billion miles on Delta every year."

Since Gold/Plat/Diamond customers are eligible for "Priority", this can be used to guestimate the number:

Minimum miles required for Gold: 50,000: which would lead to 560,000 "Priority" customers. Given that a bunch of them are Platinum/Diamond, I would guess the real number is in the 400k range. At least an order of magnitude guess. Delta states that they serve 160 Million customers each year.

[1] http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...rity/index.jsp
The 560,000 number makes a lot of sense to me. Interestingly, last September the following 2010 estimate was shared by a member on FT, which results in a total of 640,000 GM+ medallions.
"... I DO know from a conference call last week, DL is estimating 450K GM, 150K PM and 40K DM....I dont believe this is confidential info since we were openely provided these estimates...."
I should point out that the post, with these estimates was deleted the day after it was posted! Nevertheless, the post was quoted by several and you can still read it at:

Originally Posted by DP-340
Thanks ...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:59 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by DP-340
The 560,000 number makes a lot of sense to me. Interestingly, last September the following 2010 estimate was shared by a member on FT, which results in a total of 640,000 GM+ medallions.
"... I DO know from a conference call last week, DL is estimating 450K GM, 150K PM and 40K DM....I dont believe this is confidential info since we were openely provided these estimates...."
I should point out that the post, with these estimates was deleted the day after it was posted! Nevertheless, the post was quoted by several and you can still read it at:
Actually an extremely similar post can still be found on FT. That is where I got my numbers from
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: DL (PE)
just how "elite" am i?

Hey all - just found this forum and searched topic with no luck. Sorry for noob q!

Does DL publish the number of customers qualified at each level? I recently turned Plat on my return from Milan. I know in my DL dominated GRR there's a lot of us, but after browsing these threads, I'm getting the impression that platinums are a dime a dozen.

Just curious. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by mybimr
Hey all - just found this forum and searched topic with no luck. Sorry for noob q!

Does DL publish the number of customers qualified at each level? I recently turned Plat on my return from Milan. I know in my DL dominated GRR there's a lot of us, but after browsing these threads, I'm getting the impression that platinums are a dime a dozen.

No airline does. As PM, you are special but not unduly so.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: None anymore

Delta and for that matter no other airline would publish any # specific to their FF program. They feel it would show there hand in the highly competitive FF program market.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Well Delta had a leak here on FT (employee discussed a memo that referenced it) so we have a little data. There are approx. 32,000 Diamond Elites as of the start of the program back in April. You can use some basic math to back into the other levels.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:38 pm
Suspended

How many . .

Originally Posted by travellight
If this were a contest, I would guess:
DL FF accounts: 20 million
medallion 200 000
gold medallion 35 000
higher level 10 000
Ask Langley for the answer.
Only the CIA knows. They have the infomration, but what bothers me is when they reply the note is signed, "mother."
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I'm getting the impression that platinums are a dime a dozen.
Nah, we are much more special than that- we're 12¢/dozen (or about a penny a piece).

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:08 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by vasantn
No airline [publishes the number of customers qualified at each level]. As PM, you are special but not unduly so.
(edited by me)

IIRC, CO published numbers for OnePass elites here a while back.

Edit: I did recall correctly; here's the post from 2007.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.