Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
East Africa 120K in J

Got a ticket ORD - East Africa, on KLM in J, with an open jaw, for 120K.

Took a lot of searching, and the days of week aren't perfect, but it works with my schedule.

A relative who's also elite managed a similiar ticket, although the TATL legs are on a DL 767 both ways.

I see a little bit of standard J availability to India early next year. Better book it while it lasts.
Old May 26, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club
Evidence God and Miracles Do Exist

After failing to find any 150k low-tier biz award tickets DFW-SYD for my partner and I on ANY date in the next 8 months, we started trying for our #2 international destination we next want to visit -- Berlin.

After searching for what seemed like forever and even using the award calendar "tricks" I was still coming up empty-handed. But, finally -- a true miracle from up above happened and I struck Gold on dates that worked for us:

DFW-AMS World Business Class (KLM) Aug 29th
AMS-TXL Business Class (KLM) Aug 30th

TXL-JFK Business Elite (DL) Sept. 7th
JFK-MEM First (DL)
MEM-DFW First (DL)

This is also a good itinerary because our connections aren't overly tight or overly long. The dates are extra nice too since Monday the 6th is Labor Day, which means one less vacation day we have to use.

Total Miles per ticket: 100,000
Total taxes per ticket: $68.20 (was thrilled taxes were only $68 on this!)

And as further proof (as if we even need it) that the award calendar system is just flat out jacked, some of the medium-tier days I clicked on actually ended up having the low-tier award. I know this has happened to a lot of other people too.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: AMEX Centurian, AA Gold, VX Silver, HHonors Gold
Smile South Pacific on partners

After finding absolutely nothing at the low level on Delta to Sydney, yesterday, I managed to snag 2 business class tickets:

LAX-PPT on Air France
PPT-AKL on Air Tahihi Nui
SYD-LAX on V Australia
Old May 28, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by DesertLance
After finding absolutely nothing at the low level on Delta to Sydney, yesterday, I managed to snag 2 business class tickets:

LAX-PPT on Air France
SYD-LAX on V Australia
First time in well over 3 years I have heard of success with DL skymiles getting J availability on ATN. Nicely done sir. ^

I will tell you, the hardest part of this award is finding the O availability on AF from LAX-PPT. That is a toughy.

I still claim my bragging right is holding a 120,000 mile, Business Class ticket, ATL-JNB-ATL on Delta 200/201 for August.

Last edited by DLATL777; May 28, 2010 at 11:52 am
Old May 28, 2010, 11:19 am

DesertLance, Congratulations. How many miles per person?
Old May 28, 2010, 11:26 am

LAX-PPT on Air France
SYD-LAX on V Australia
How many miles was this?
Old May 28, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: AMEX Centurian, AA Gold, VX Silver, HHonors Gold
150k each + $200 taxes
Old May 30, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta SM
Booked this yesterday:

RT SEA/IAD
Depart July 12, Return July 18
Low Miles FC

Have been checking on all 3 DC airports for months, knowing I wanted to travel there in mid-July. Have NEVER found anything, coach or First, at low miles for any time in July. All of a sudden, yesterday, there were low coach and fc for almost all dates in July. Today...nothing. Glad I did not hesitate.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Yesterday afternoon, I got home from a Business Class award ticket ATL-ORD-ICN-BKK-vv that I booked last September for 120,000 SkyMiles, with the longhaul legs on KE. Yesterday morning leaving Bangkok, KE seated me in the First Class cabin of their 777-200, meaning I had the Kosmo Sleeper seat for the redeye to Seoul. ^^

Today, I booked another award, of course. ORD-ICN-BKK-vv in Business (Prestige) Class for April 2011, the Songkran water-splashing Thai New Year festival. Trying to get the domestic legs on Delta would have pushed the award level up by many tens of thousands of miles, even in Economy. I took just the long-hauls for 120,000 SkyMiles. If I need to buy a domestic ticket, I will, annoying as it will be. ATL nonstops on KE were not available. ORD seems to have good availability on KE, as previously reported.

For DL-operated flights ATL-BKK anytime next April, you had to go to the Medium Award level.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
2 LAX-CDG-LAX AF metal 100000 each J Oct 4-14
2 LAX-CDG-LAX AF metal 100000 each J Dec 14-24

Took some work and a lot of time, but if you are flexible it can be done.

Working on a March 2011 or April 2011 trip right now.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: MP 1P
Almost have all the award tix I want. Just want to change one saver economy (NRT-HNL) to a saver business award. Here's what's confirmed so far:

6/18 NRT-HNL

1 saver econ (22500)
1 saver business (32500)

6/23 HNL-NRT

2 saver econ (45000)
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
I guess you could call this success. I booked CHA-PDX earlier this week for travel 8 days out for 40K in coach with good connections. It was a last minute decision to attend a convention and my travel days are fixed. I was looking at something like $750 for a paid ticket so it seems like a passable value in terms of cost per mile. Unfortunately, I booked the day before Delta removed the redemption fee of $75.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American

LAX-PPT on Air France
SYD-LAX on V Australia
Are you doing a stopover and open jaw?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: DL-PLT, HH Diamond, Hertz#1Gold, Amex (Reserve) (SM-Plat) (HH Surpass)
Just snagged 2 International BE SRQ/DUS Round Trip for end of April next year for 100,000 each plus $49.40 tx per ticket!

Going to catch the train out of Duesseldorf one day to catch the Tulips in bloom on the way to Amsterdam!

I had another award ticket res for same flight early in April but used my new no limit cancellation for Platinums to change my itinerary. The other res was BE at 100,000 as well. Really like the new no limit cancellation policy as it lets me continue to tweak my itinerary if availability opens up.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:26 am

Not sure whether I should consider this a success or not, but I got a DCA-MEM-LAX-LIH-LAX-DTW-DCA ticket for next January in coach for 52.5K miles. I would never have booked this before the change last week to give Platinums back their unlimited award changes as this ticket is primarily insurance since I need to be in LIH over this date range. This was the first trip with some segements in low availability that I had seen to one of the outlying Hawaiian islands over my date range. My hope is to eventually replace this with a revenue ticket if prices ever come down to reality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.