Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Howste
Thank you both. We have a fantastic support system of family, friends, and church friends who are doing more than we could imagine for us. Megan's obituary is up now - we're still trying to pick the picture to post.
I could tell how amazing she was in reading it.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm also shocked. Your entire family is in my thoughts and prayers. [BTW, it's a beautiful obituary.]
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I'm taking the rest of the week off to be with family and for our daughter's funeral.
So very, very sorry Howste.
Please accept my sincerest condolences.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta GM
Thank you both. We have a fantastic support system of family, friends, and church friends who are doing more than we could imagine for us. Megan's obituary is up now - we're still trying to pick the picture to post.
I am so terribly sorry for your loss. She sounds like the kind of child every parent dreams of raising. I hope your family can find peace during this time of grief.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Losing a parent was tough, and affected me far more then I would have thought, even though dad was getting on in years. I cannot imagine how much worse it must be to lose a child

----

Awkward segue: good seeing jrl767 again yesterday, plus many other FTers on the VX1948 farewell DO. Currently drinking my way around LAX before heading back to SFO this evening.

Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Megan was a FT member? Sorry for the loss.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Thanks again everyone. Yes, she was more amazing than you can imagine.
Originally Posted by skchin
Megan was a FT member? Sorry for the loss.
Nope. And most of her flying was using my points. Not even my DL Kryptonium Medallion status can get me a flight to visit her new home.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:39 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Thinking of you and your family this weekend.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Not even my DL Kryptonium Medallion status can get me a flight to visit her new home.
This powerful statement still evokes emotions in me...
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Howste,

My deepest sympathies. I've lost my parents and siblings but never a child and that must be he hardest.
Megan was obviously a very special person who will be missed and remembered not just by you and your family, but also those who knew her.
Think of her often and keep her alive in your memories
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I am praying for you. I can’t even imagine what it must feel like.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I'm taking the rest of the week off to be with family and for our daughter's funeral.

I didn't post anything in this thread, but FYI for the people who haven't heard about my daughter: Link
Please accept my condolences. What a devastating loss for your family. I know you will cherish the memories of your dear daughter forever.
O2K
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
In view of the devastating loss posted above by our beloved lounge member Howste (words are never enough anyway) I have refrained from posting about me.

Long story short, 88 confirmed let go and laid off by my company this week. I am officially jobless. At 61 -not sure of what to do. COBRA is 1500 per month - I get it free in ENGLAND. Heading back there now with my wife for about 12 days. DAY-ATL-MAN. On the 4.00pm out of Dayton. Then after a break who knows what the next chapter of life will bring. Likely to be less flying - but - things happen. We both have got the UG DAY-ATL so I will have a couple of Woodfords.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Long story short, 88 confirmed let go and laid off by my company this week. I am officially jobless.
Sorry to hear of that. Bummer! Let's hope something promising pops up sooner rather than later.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
In view of the devastating loss posted above by our beloved lounge member Howste (words are never enough anyway) I have refrained from posting about me.

Long story short, 88 confirmed let go and laid off by my company this week. I am officially jobless. At 61 -not sure of what to do. COBRA is 1500 per month - I get it free in ENGLAND. Heading back there now with my wife for about 12 days. DAY-ATL-MAN. On the 4.00pm out of Dayton. Then after a break who knows what the next chapter of life will bring. Likely to be less flying - but - things happen. We both have got the UG DAY-ATL so I will have a couple of Woodfords.
I, also, have not posted in this thread about Howste's loss because I was simply unable to find any way to express my feelings. It was simply an incomprehensible catastrophe.

Gralistair, I might be able to assist you a bit. At age 62 you are entitled to begin collecting your Social Security benefits if you have paid into the system for 10 or more years (it does not matter when those years were). This is considered an early retirement and the downside of it is that you will only be paid 75% of what you would collect if you waited for the full retirement age. Your decision, therefore, should be based on your current financial situation. If you will need the money next year, you will be able to collect it. It is even true if you will be living in the UK at the time. At age 65, you will get Medicare Part A for free but this only covers hospitalization. Of course, if you are in the UK this will not matter to you.

If your wife is not a US citizen, and has not lived in the US for 5 years, normally she would not be able to collect dependent benefits but this is waived for residents of 21 countries (including the UK) as long as you were married for five years. Her payment would be 50% of yours. Full details can be found in SSA Publication No 05-10137. The money that she receives will not impact what you will get and she will continue to receive it even if you divorce or die.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.