Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive A Fare, P Fare, D Fare and I Fare Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive A Fare, P Fare, D Fare and I Fare Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I've never seen anything like what's in the OP's case before... it doesn't seem to mention anything about cancellations at all.

Actually, if you'll shop at Delta.com for refundable fares and look at the rules, they almost all read like this.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL GM
Delta First(F) vs Delta First(A)

Could someone explain the difference to me? I have a reservation with no seat assignment on the outbound. Is there a chance I could get downgraded. This is a paid F.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 8, 2006 at 6:19 am Reason: This milepost (and the following seven mileposts) were merged into this thread unedited.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by golfteam
Could someone explain the difference to me? I have a reservation with no seat assignment on the outbound. Is there a chance I could get downgraded. This is a paid F.
F is full fare, refundable first class, whereas A is the "discounted" first class fare.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:14 am

still confused

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
F is full fare, refundable first class, whereas A is the "discounted" first class fare.
What does that mean for me? Are they going to bump or downgrade someone for me on the outbound? Is that because of "F". Would they do it for "A"?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:06 am

Programs: Skyteam
You will get 2 Y seats for your trouble, but no food or drink service.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:20 am

What?

Originally Posted by skchin
You will get 2 Y seats for your trouble, but no food or drink service.
How could that be....I have a confirmed seat for the return in F.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:36 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
How could that be....I have a confirmed seat for the return in F.
THat's skchin's attempt at humor

A is technically a Y fare but confirmed upgrade to FC. If you paid for actual FC ticket (F fare), then you are the last one that would be downgraded.

Lack of open seats on the seat chart does not mean lack of seats. THey usually have a couple seats showing as being taken that aren't really. In economy, the bulkheads always show as taken, but you can get them at the airport when checking in.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:01 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mcjava
A is technically a Y fare but confirmed upgrade to FC.
There are those of us who argue with this premise.

I personally view an A booking as a discounted first class fare, not as a coach fare with a "free" upgrade to F. That's certainly the way it is booked online.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:06 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
There are those of us who argue with this premise.

I personally view an A booking as a discounted first class fare, not as a coach fare with a "free" upgrade to F. That's certainly the way it is booked online.
We've seen this debate before. I agree that "A" should be a discounted first class fare, not a coach fare with a "free" upgrade to F. Others apparently have heard differently from Delta.

I'd like to see Delta's position on "A" fares.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:31 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
An A fare is a discounted F fare. It is usually there to compete with the LCC's (Airtran in particular) Business class and matches their price point exactly.

The booking class is YUP- or QUP- which is the source of some of the confusion as to whether this is really a "real F" or "upgraded Y" ticket. The fact that the reciept will show a Q fare ("discounted coach") makes it pass audit when I expense them.

An A fare will get you the F SkyMiles bonus, including MQMs. You will not get "downgraded" for your booked flight unless there is some sort of IROPS that involved EQP substitution (e.g. a former Song or Shuttle A/C). At that point, even the full F passengers will be affected (and ticked off!).

The A fares are typically refundable and changeable without penalty. One caution on changes: If, on your desired new flight, the A bucket is sold out and only F seats are available, you will have to 1) pay the difference for full F, 2) accept a downgrade to coach with no refund or 3) book a new coach ticket (frequently at a lower price, hint, hint) and get a refund for your original A ticket.

There is one exception to the above: You can use Same Day Confirmed within the three hour window to change your A ticket to another flight with F seats, even if no A bucket seats are available.

I use A fares frequently. They are not the incredible bargain they were a couple of years ago but they are still cheaper than a full Y fare in most cases. Not having to play the upgrade lottery (especially for transcons) is worth it, IMO.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:35 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by keeton
They are not the incredible bargain they were a couple of years ago but they are still cheaper than a full Y fare in most cases.
That is certainly the truth.

As one who used to purchase A fares regularly, I cannot remember the last time I purchased one.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:59 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
Can someone confirm if "A" class service is completely refundable?

Ok - I don't want to lose the 10% off coupn that expires tonight. If I book "A" class service, this can be refunded completely - no fees whatsoever, correct?

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Not all are. When you book check the fare rules and then click on View Full Fare Rules to make sure there is no penalty
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:12 pm

I think the short answer is no. I buy these and have never seen one that is refundable.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wplong1
I think the short answer is no. I buy these and have never seen one that is refundable.
They certainly can be refundable. If they are Y-Up fares you can almost bet that they are. I have seen fares as low as K be refundable. It just depends upon the market. The WN effect makes lower fares refundable in some markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.