Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive A Fare, P Fare, D Fare and I Fare Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive A Fare, P Fare, D Fare and I Fare Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by PHLstudent
I just started reading the delta forum recently after I found a cheap A fare from PHL-ATL-SNA. So I am unfamiliar with the A fare controversy.

What is the "trick" to not losing your first class seat if a situation occurs where a GA is trying to put you in coach. Just be adamant that you are not willing to sit in coach?
There really is no trick, if they want to move you they can. The A fare rules state it's a coach ticket with an upgrade. If you find yourself in that situation, you can raise holy hell, but then you may get yourself on the no fly list also. Personally I have never ran into the situation but have heard alot about it. If you can take screen shots of what your are buying (A fare listed as First Class) then take them to small claims court over it.

Until a major class action suit doesn't occur (and no I'm not going to start one since I don't buy A fares) DL will continue to do this.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, NW Gold for '09
Yet the fare rules clearly state, from a TPA-ATL MUPRF fare basis:

APPLICATION RULE
NORMAL FARES
APPLICATION
CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR FIRST/BUSINESS/COACH CLASS
SERVICE.

So if you book this M class fare and A space is available you get A class. If you book and M class is the lowest available and A class is not available you get the same fare but are booked in M class. Am I missing something?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
I booked a promo F fare on NWA.com, all flights on DL metal. Made sure I printed out the itinerary showing booking class "F", since the fare was less than half what DL was charging on the same itinerary for A fares. I don't anticipate any problems, but eternal vigilance is the price of freedom, and all that...
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by amps
There really is no trick, if they want to move you they can. The A fare rules state it's a coach ticket with an upgrade. If you find yourself in that situation, you can raise holy hell, but then you may get yourself on the no fly list also. Personally I have never ran into the situation but have heard alot about it. If you can take screen shots of what your are buying (A fare listed as First Class) then take them to small claims court over it.

Until a major class action suit doesn't occur (and no I'm not going to start one since I don't buy A fares) DL will continue to do this.
The "trick" is the deceitful bait & switch that happens after you expressly choose to buy a "first-class" ticket. In one of his FT postings, Jeff Robertson even referred to the "A" fares as paid first class.

The scam will probably continue until somebody sues them.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:59 pm

Very Interesting. So if you want to guarantee yourself a first class seat, how is that done on Delta.com? I was under the impression that I choose "first class" and pay hundreds more for my ticket. I can't imagine paying $300 more for my ticket and not being able to fly first class. How can I prevent that?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by namecheap
Very Interesting. So if you want to guarantee yourself a first class seat, how is that done on Delta.com? I was under the impression that I choose "first class" and pay hundreds more for my ticket. I can't imagine paying $300 more for my ticket and not being able to fly first class. How can I prevent that?
Buy an F fare and NOT an A fare.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
This is truly shameful. These fares appear quite explicitly to the end user as paid first class. Were it not for FlyerTalk, I wouldn't have imagined otherwise.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:07 pm

Buy an F fare and NOT an A fare.
How? When I go to Delta.com and tell it I want a first class seat, it gives it to me but has an (A) next to it. Where do I go to get the "F"?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by namecheap
How? When I go to Delta.com and tell it I want a first class seat, it gives it to me but has an (A) next to it. Where do I go to get the "F"?
This is what makes it so wrong. Wish someone would sue. If you ask for F flights on delta.com, you are presented A fares.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:11 pm

Goto full search option and pick fare class or higher. If it still doesn't show any F, then it's upto you to pick the A fare but just let this thread come to your mind IF and IF something does come up at the airport.

It sucks, I know it does, but what can you do?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:16 pm

Goto full search option and pick fare class or higher. If it still doesn't show any F, then it's upto you to pick the A fare but just let this thread come to your mind IF and IF something does come up at the airport.

It sucks, I know it does, but what can you do?
Wow, that does suck. OK, so for my flight in question, a standard coach ticket is $200 and first class (A) is $500. The (F) fare is $1500!

So let's say I pay the $500, what could happen to move me into coach? I have no status so if a high status wants a free upgrade to first would I be a higher priority since I paid more or would they?

I can't imagine paying $300 more and then being moved to coach, unbelievable.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by bocastephen
After adding the number, confirming my status and thanking me for my business, she went out of her way to add a tailing comment thanking me for 'buying my coach class ticket which came with a courtesy upgrade to First Class'.
Why would she say something like this out of the blue? I can't imagine a SMS agent saying that for no reason - or at all for that matter.

FWIW, I purchased A fares exclusively for 3-4 years to/from LAX and never once had an issue. While I don't doubt that it can happen, I think the chances are slim.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:27 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
It happens more frequently than you would think, especially if you misconnect on a Friday afternoon due to a weather delay. I used to always buy "A" class fares to insure a FC seat on busy Friday afternoons. Now tht I have been burnt more than a few times, I play the upgrade game and usually STILL sit in FC, but paying less money. It is Delta's loss of income for someone like me when they have this absurd policy. Years ago, an "A" Class seat REMAINED a FC seat. Too bad that is no longer true!
Old Dec 1, 2008, 2:12 pm

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
I always buy the A fare and have never had a problem, even with a weather delay. In fact, my last weather delay involved me being re-booked twice. When i checked in at the MCO Crown Room, as soon as I had sat down, I was paged to come to the reception desk. I was told about the delay and I was re-booked on the next flight in "A" space. When the realization hit that my ATL-SNA flight would be a mis-connect, the Crown Room staff re-booked me on the next flight in "F" space.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by fly4work
I always buy the A fare and have never had a problem, even with a weather delay. In fact, my last weather delay involved me being re-booked twice. When i checked in at the MCO Crown Room, as soon as I had sat down, I was paged to come to the reception desk. I was told about the delay and I was re-booked on the next flight in "A" space. When the realization hit that my ATL-SNA flight would be a mis-connect, the Crown Room staff re-booked me on the next flight in "F" space.
^
I think this is precisely it. If you are booked in A and mis-connect, you should be re-booked in A or F if it is available. Obviously, if neither is available, you are re-booked in Y or you can wait a few days til there is a flight with A availability.

Does anyone have experiences to the contrary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.