Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Million Miler Calculation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024 | 11:25 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by xliioper
No, Base Miles are RDM miles and on DL marketed flights are $ based and have nothing to do with MM earnings which are mileage flown based. On partner marketed revenue fares, they will not necessarily match as flights can earn fractional RDM mileage amounts in lower fare classes.
So, the 640 base miles in that screenshot for IND - LGA on DL metal won't be the same as the MM miles accumulated for that flight segment? TIL...
Old Feb 8, 2024 | 11:28 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by pharmflyer
Unfortunately, "Base miles" is "base award miles", so just 5x fare, and not the actual distance of the flight. Just so happens in this example that 128*5 =640, and IND-LGA is ~660 miles so it's close but not right. But I don't see anywhere to track MM accruals line by line, unlike AA. (Mine was an award flight so 0 accrual but you get what I'm saying)

Edit: I see xliioper beat me to it - they're 100% correct as always!
I honestly never paid that close attention to it. I always figured the miles accumulated however they would accumulate. I haven't really cared until I started to get closer to 1MM.
Old Feb 9, 2024 | 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited5M100 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I know people report MQD incalculations. Should we be concerned about this affecting MM status? It seems Delta made a sneaky move to remove this from a way to monitor how many miles we earned from a flight? I dont trust DL IT to get this right, especially since it now counts to lifetime status. Anyone have a workaround to see how much counted to the total after a flight?
Old Feb 9, 2024 | 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I know people report MQD incalculations. Should we be concerned about this affecting MM status? It seems Delta made a sneaky move to remove this from a way to monitor how many miles we earned from a flight? I dont trust DL IT to get this right, especially since it now counts to lifetime status. Anyone have a workaround to see how much counted to the total after a flight?
No workaround for UA either. I just take a screenshot to keep an eye on the calculations.
Old Feb 11, 2024 | 2:27 pm
10 Countries Visited5M15 Years on Site

Programs: DL 5MM; 360
Originally Posted by lsquare
No workaround for UA either. I just take a screenshot to keep an eye on the calculations.

I do the same. I've had one instance so far that posted incorrectly by almost 1000 miles. I didn't have time to call about it. About 3 days later it was posted correctly. So far I've not had any more misposts. That was early in the "new" rules for mileage accrual for MM. So guessing the other was an IT bug that was corrected. But I still screen shoot each set of postings.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024 | 9:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
One thing I noticed today is that for MM purposes, DL is no longer giving out a minimum of 500 miles per segment. I was credited with exactly what I flew today, which was 452 miles LIT-ATL and 555 miles ATL-CLE, for a total of 1,007 miles.
andrewk829 and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024 | 7:02 pm

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Data point: 6428 miles for DTW-HND and 501 miles for LGA-DTW.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024 | 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ND76
One thing I noticed today is that for MM purposes, DL is no longer giving out a minimum of 500 miles per segment. I was credited with exactly what I flew today, which was 452 miles LIT-ATL and 555 miles ATL-CLE, for a total of 1,007 miles.
that hurts a lot as BNA ATL is only 250 miles
Spiff and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024 | 2:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by josephstern
Look - I really want to hit 2MM and get Platinum until whenever, but are people really going to make decisions on flights with hitting MM thresholds in mind? If you're very close, sure, I see that.

But if you're 500K miles away? ATL<->AMS would give you 8802 MQMs assuming it counts under whatever Delta institutes going forward. That's less than 1% of 1MM. So you'd need more than 100 of those trips to hit a million miles. 113 roundtrip flights to Europe. How much would you go out of your way time/stopovers/money/carrier to get yourself almost 1% closer to the next MM threshold?

For me, I'm hoping that I think this through consciously when making these decisions and don't fall prey to Delta's marketing tactics here.
For most people, I agree with you, as they are looking at annual status and it's nice to know there is a long-term benefit. In my case I am looking at MM status, since 5 MM will give me 360, even though I am still 1.7 MM away. Hopefully, I can do that in the next 10 years, but it may be more challenging if there are no 500 minimums. I already factored in the no 1.5 F bonus.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024 | 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by troyintn
😬

For most people, I agree with you, as they are looking at annual status and it's nice to know there is a long-term benefit. In my case I am looking at MM status, since 5 MM will give me 360, even though I am still 1.7 MM away. Hopefully, I can do that in the next 10 years, but it may be more challenging if there are no 500 minimums. I already factored in the no 1.5 F bonus.
I can only speak for myself, but every little counts and adds up over time. I wouldn't say I would go out of my way, but I always have something to do on my phone and read on FT! So if I can add a connection for free then why not since it'll get me closer to MM status.
Old Feb 14, 2024 | 8:52 pm

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
One thing I truly regret was not making UA 1MM (I was about 0.7M), but at that time I could not bear with the terrible and unreliable service from UA after the merger anymore. With me relocating to Queens NYC in 2014, I switched to Delta because then flying DL made more sense to me. Now, I am about 22K miles shy to DL 1MM and should not have problem to make it this year with multiple long-haul trips ahead. It took me 10 years to get close to 1MM (with the fact it was MQM rather than BIS miles before this year). Thanks to Delta make the 1MM annual complimentary Gold, but I think I will stop chasing it once I get to 1MM.
Old Feb 14, 2024 | 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
I can top (or bottom) that, CLE-DTW is only 95 miles. CLE-LGA is 418 and CLE-JFK is 425.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024 | 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by ND76
I can top (or bottom) that, CLE-DTW is only 95 miles. CLE-LGA is 418 and CLE-JFK is 425.
Man, that's brutal!

Doesn't UA have a 500-mile rule?
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 4:00 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by lsquare
Man, that's brutal!

Doesn't UA have a 500-mile rule?
Not for lifetime.
Old Feb 15, 2024 | 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M100 Nights5 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by hhdl
Not for lifetime.
Incorrect. UA provides min. 500 miles to elites on all UA operated flights for lifetime earning.
lsquare and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.