Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Advice on converting rollover 2024 MQMs to: MQDs or RDMs or extended status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on converting rollover 2024 MQMs to: MQDs or RDMs or extended status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2023, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by busdriver11
. So say you didnt fly much in 2023 and you only earned SM. On 2024, you would still have your PM complimentary status, but they would only deduct 25K MQMs from your account.
However, since you say you havent earned SM this year, I do wonder how that works for the rollover MQMs, with no earned status. It seems that there would only be two possibilities. Either they take nothing out and let you keep all your MQMs as rollover, or since you didnt earn status, you keep no rollover MQMs, which seems very unfair. Does anyone know the answer?
I did not fly DL much this year, but I flew enough last year to earn DM for this year as I was going to retire and wanted the GUC as I moved to ELP and DL has only 2 flights per day I changed to AA. I flew a LOT on AA and earned CK. Last year was travel year. DM on DL, CK on AA and Silver on UA. All domestic this year but it is nice in retirement. I would love to know the answer and I am likely a significant outlier and they might not have figured out what they want to do for my case.
busdriver11 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 7:59 pm

I agree that you cant be any lower than PM, however, I feel certain that they will remove MQMs based upon what status you actually earned in 2023, not your complimentary status. So say you didnt fly much in 2023 and you only earned SM. On 2024, you would still have your PM complimentary status, but they would only deduct 25K MQMs from your account.

However, since you say you havent earned SM this year, I do wonder how that works for the rollover MQMs, with no earned status. It seems that there would only be two possibilities. Either they take nothing out and let you keep all your MQMs as rollover, or since you didnt earn status, you keep no rollover MQMs, which seems very unfair. Does anyone know the answer?
Rollover is always zero if you do not make at least FO. Regardless of MM status.
josephstern and busdriver11 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I am so chuffed. I'll make DM for 2024, and I'll rollover 700+k MQMs. 7 years of extended DM. Yay!

This is certainly going to affect my strategy going forward. Do we have any intel yet what happens if you have a Reserve Card with +75,000k in spending for the Authorized Reserve Users (those who pay $175)?
Old Oct 21, 2023, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by hnewman
I did not fly DL much this year, but I flew enough last year to earn DM for this year as I was going to retire and wanted the GUC as I moved to ELP and DL has only 2 flights per day I changed to AA. I flew a LOT on AA and earned CK. Last year was travel year. DM on DL, CK on AA and Silver on UA. All domestic this year but it is nice in retirement. I would love to know the answer and I am likely a significant outlier and they might not have figured out what they want to do for my case.
How many MQMs do you have now? It sounds possible that you will lose them all and not be able to convert anything next year if you dont hit SM status this year. If its a significant amount, I would definitely confirm this and figure out a way to get there, whether through flights or spend. If its a small number, no big deal.
remyontheroad and josephstern like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: Diamond DL
HELLO! i am very near to be DM and my original plan was to make another two long flights before end of year , to start the new year with approx 20MQM rollover
But things changed, so i will STOP this year at 122k MQM
I won't be diamond, i will be platinum with 47k MQM that i can convert to 4700 MQD
So next year should be "easy" for me to get the GOLD at 10k MQD starting with 4700MQD
remember for me italian, there are no credit cards, so MQD only from flights
I won't be DM, only platinum
But i think this is my best option
The other option woulld be to reach DM (i have a flight in december which i plan to use without the skymiles account, otherwise it will make me DM at approx 125.5k MQM) and then i will have three choice of 1.000MQD each
So during the year , if i reach the 10K MQD flying, i can use choices to get 25.000milesx3,
if i only reach 7.000MQD i will have the 3.000 from the choices

until now i don't know what to do
Can you confirm my calculations are correct? thanks!!
Old Oct 21, 2023, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by itamex
HELLO! i am very near to be DM and my original plan was to make another two long flights before end of year , to start the new year with approx 20MQM rollover
But things changed, so i will STOP this year at 122k MQM
I won't be diamond, i will be platinum with 47k MQM that i can convert to 4700 MQD
So next year should be "easy" for me to get the GOLD at 10k MQD starting with 4700MQD
remember for me italian, there are no credit cards, so MQD only from flights
I won't be DM, only platinum
But i think this is my best option
The other option woulld be to reach DM (i have a flight in december which i plan to use without the skymiles account, otherwise it will make me DM at approx 125.5k MQM) and then i will have three choice of 1.000MQD each
So during the year , if i reach the 10K MQD flying, i can use choices to get 25.000milesx3,
if i only reach 7.000MQD i will have the 3.000 from the choices

until now i don't know what to do
Can you confirm my calculations are correct? thanks!!
I think your calculations are correct, that is, if they allow you to use all three choice awards to get 1K MQD each.

However, I think maybe your second option is better. You are choosing to have one year of PM and one year of GM, when your other option is one year of DM and one year of SM (or potentially GM), is that correct? I would ask a few questions. Like if your two long flights don't have your Delta medallion number on it, are you getting mileage credit elsewhere, or just giving up the Delta miles? And does being GM really have that many more benefits for you than being SM for the year? Probably not getting upgraded anyways, so I don't know that there's much difference. I sure wouldn't waste all three DM choice benefits on 1K MQD boosts (if they allow that), aren't 25K miles or GUCs useful to you? I just don't think I'd trade all those Choice benefits just to be GM. Bummer you can't use one of the Choice benefits to give yourself GM, along with someone else!
itamex likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I am so chuffed. I'll make DM for 2024, and I'll rollover 700+k MQMs. 7 years of extended DM. Yay!

This is certainly going to affect my strategy going forward. Do we have any intel yet what happens if you have a Reserve Card with +75,000k in spending for the Authorized Reserve Users (those who pay $175)?
Is your question about "intel" related to sky club access for authorized users? If so, once the account hits 75K, all users, primary and authorized/additional users with a reserve card get unlimited access.
iflyalexair likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:38 pm

I think your calculations are correct, that is, if they allow you to use all three choice awards to get 1K MQD each.

However, I think maybe your second option is better. You are choosing to have one year of PM and one year of GM, when your other option is one year of DM and one year of SM (or potentially GM), is that correct? I would ask a few questions. Like if your two long flights don't have your Delta medallion number on it, are you getting mileage credit elsewhere, or just giving up the Delta miles? And does being GM really have that many more benefits for you than being SM for the year? Probably not getting upgraded anyways, so I don't know that there's much difference. I sure wouldn't waste all three DM choice benefits on 1K MQD boosts (if they allow that), aren't 25K miles or GUCs useful to you? I just don't think I'd trade all those Choice benefits just to be GM. Bummer you can't use one of the Choice benefits to give yourself GM, along with someone else!
thanks!
the two long flights still didn't buy them, they were planned to do in december or february next year. so, because of the skymiles changes, i'll do them next year
If they allow to get all the 3 choice of 1.000 MQD is a good point which i didn't think of
I almost fly with aeromexico or af/kl so the upgrades aren't very useful to me
For me it's important at least the silver for the free bags, and the gold for the lounge access and skypriority service
Also for me it has been really a good benefit the possibility to choose free extra legroom on af/klm . I don't know if this was a benefit of being DM or will be also possible with Gold
Of course if i end of year with PM status, next year i will earn "only" 80% bonus miles instead of 120% if i become diamond
But i will have 4700MQD to start, and this mean a much more easy way to gold
busdriver11 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:43 pm

Bummer you can't use one of the Choice benefits to give yourself GM, along with someone else!

yes!! that would be great! if someone wants to "gift" me the gold status, please contact me
busdriver11 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Rollover is always zero if you do not make at least FO. Regardless of MM status.
THANK YOU. I forgot about that. I just upgraded my flight to I can make SM. Much appreciated!
Old Oct 22, 2023, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hnewman
The issue is that I have PM status based on "annual complimentary" I cannot be any lower and "annual complimentary" does not take points out. From an earning perspective don't even make Silver. So likely don't agree.
Tiu still "earn" Sulver/Gold. In fact if yiu don't earn Silver yiu don't get rollover.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Tiu still "earn" Sulver/Gold. In fact if yiu don't earn Silver yiu don't get rollover.
There are going to be some very shocked people on 1/1/24 when their MQM balance goes from hundreds of thousands to zero because they didnt hit the $3,000 MQD minimum or $25k Amex.
hhdl and xjoedx like this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are going to be some very shocked people on 1/1/24 when their MQM balance goes from hundreds of thousands to zero because they didnt hit the $3,000 MQD minimum or $25k Amex.
Anyone with hundreds of thousands of MQMs should understand the rules pretty clearly by now.
Eddie98, hhdl and xjoedx like this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yep. Has happened every year with MM flyers. However I'm still not sure if this happens, since there's no MQM in the new year. It's partially related to of my question as to if there's a deduction of MQM as that is normally done on Jan 1.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Anyone with hundreds of thousands of MQMs should understand the rules pretty clearly by now.
You would think but there are tons of people out there who are not engaged. Some people Ive met had no idea about choice benefits they were entitled to select each year.
flyerCO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.