Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Advice on converting rollover 2024 MQMs to: MQDs or RDMs or extended status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2023, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium

While we are still waiting for DL’s clarification on choice benefits for “earned” vs. “extended” status, I’m trying to make some calculations. My personal situation: I’m already a DM for 2024, and will have ~350k MQMs after rollover on 02/01/2024.

As I understand, my choices for using the MQMs would be:

1. Convert to MQDs: At 10:1 ratio, 350k MQMs will earn me instant DM status for 2025. This will include all choice benefits. Since I need only 28k MQDs, convert remainder MQMs to RDMs.

2. Convert to RDMs: At 2:1 ratio, 350k MQMs will earn me 175k RDMs.

3. Extend DM status: could apply 300k MQMs and extend DM status till 2027. Convert remainder ~50k MQMs to ~25k RDMs.

Again, without knowing if choice benefits will be included with extended status, personally, I’m leaning for #3.

What would you do differently?
Old Oct 21, 2023, 7:05 am

https://eyeoftheflyer.com/2023/10/21...our-questions/

Both MM status and PM/DM extensions DO come with Choice Benefits.
18sas, metalblaze and DrMilano like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

Both MM status and PM/DM extensions DO come with Choice Benefits.
oh I missed that link..thank you! Incredibly helpful information.

DL if you’re listening: you should put all these in your official FAQs and avoid any confusions.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 7:12 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by metalblaze
1. Convert to MQDs: At 10:1 ratio, 350k MQMs will earn me instant DM status for 2025. This will include all choice benefits. Since I need only 28k MQDs, convert remainder MQMs to RDMs.
I believe that you can only select RDMs vs MQDs in increments of 25% (unless that has changed with the conversion), so your options would be 35k MQDs, 26.25k MQDs + 43.75k RDMs, and so on. Looks like you'll have to convert all of your rollover in this option.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 7:18 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Still way too early for a final MQD plan as will extend status earn CB’s? DL needs to clarify this, as extended status with rollover MQM’s muddled the original plan for a simpler SkyMiles program.

Will SkyMiles reward tickets earn BIS miles for 2024 travel for MM status, as currently reward tickets earn MQM’s which counts towards MM status, but MQM’s sunset 12/31/23.

Your 175k RDM’s would be worth 1,750 MQD, as DL has clarified earning 100 RDM; 1 MQD— not worth the RDM for reward travel, unless you plan to use RDM for SkyClub membership or many SkyClub premium bar drink/bottle purchases.

As your NYC based, have you considered a status match over to UA 1K for 2024 and use the extend option to maintain DM if you ‘breakup’ with UA? Just putting this out there as UA and AA have significantly lower cost premium cabins compared to DL, and have premium lounges for international travel which DL at present does not have. DL RUC’s/GUC’s and comp upgrades have lost value post-pandemic.

Personally, I plan to wait to latter in 2024 to decide what to do as I already ‘dated’ UA (1K status match) and AA (PlatPro) during the pandemic 2021-2022, but I was not impressed with EWR/IAD/IAH/ORD/DEN and CLT/DCA/DFW conections.

EDIT: After I posted this the link regarding DL spokesman clarification was posted.

My plan would be extend DM status at 100,000 MQM per year and price shop for premium air fare on UA, AA, B6, and AS as your NYC based. Delta revenue management is going to hold back comp upgrades if CB’s are being handed out like candy now. Remember nothing is free in life, as there is always a hidden cost. With the way that DL announced the 2024 program changes, then rollbacked— I highly suspect that DL has further negative announcements/business plan regarding premium travel, as the DL president mentioned future unbundling of premium services last month at the Morgan Stanley conference.
busdriver11 likes this.

Last edited by DrMilano; Oct 21, 2023 at 7:30 am
Old Oct 21, 2023, 7:20 am

DrMilano, Extensions do earn choice benefits.

DrMilano likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
DrMilano, Extensions do earn choice benefits.

I was drafting my original post as the initial response to OP, but then when I posted the other threads already posted. Thus the edit when I realized this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So everyone trusts that source?

I don’t.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
So everyone trusts that source?

I don’t.
It's good to read the article, however, I also don't trust an unnamed Delta spokesperson. They need to put this on the FAQ on the Delta website. I sure don't trust it enough to do a high spend on my card this year.
safigan and ACCDraw like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Figured this was the closest thread for my kinda-related question.

- Currently Diamond (and going to drop)
- I'm 2MM
- Currently (with scheduled trips) at 172K MQM and 11k MQD for 2023.

So if I don't have any additional trips this year my 2024 status would be gold (both earned and due to MM). I'd have 122K 'rollover' to convert to RDM or MQD.

If I have another flight or two, I'd hit platinum, leaving me with 97K 'rollover.'

But with the new million miler updates, I'll be platinum anyway as of February 1, 2024.

So I'd 'lose' 25K of MQM that could be converted.

Does this sound correct? I feel like I am missing something.
busdriver11 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by busdriver11
It's good to read the article, however, I also don't trust an unnamed Delta spokesperson. They need to put this on the FAQ on the Delta website. I sure don't trust it enough to do a high spend on my card this year.
Why would the blog destroy its business over this?
HohoGAP likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by TommyD2

- I'm 2MM

So if I don't have any additional trips this year my 2024 status would be gold (both earned and due to MM). I'd have 122K 'rollover' to convert to RDM or MQD.

If I have another flight or two, I'd hit platinum, leaving me with 97K 'rollover.'

But with the new million miler updates, I'll be platinum anyway as of February 1, 2024.

You’re effectively permanently a PM (forever until DL changes its mind) once you drop from DM on 1/31/24. So use your accumulated MQMs for MQDs or RDMs. Definitely don’t use the 100k extension.
TommyD2 and DrMilano like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TommyD2

- I'm 2MM

Due to your 2MM status, you will be PM come 02/01/24. So, I see no reason for chasing PM this year. Unless you are targeting for DM in 2025, MQMs -> RDMs conversion makes most sense to me.
TommyD2 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by shoodawg
Why would the blog destroy its business over this?
1. Because he's too green to know that DL regularly gives out information that turns out not to be true.
2. Because the "spokesman" isn't high up enough on the chain, yet the blogger trusts them.
3. Because, like even reputable journalists, they love to get the scoop, knowing that it will drive lots of traffic to its page.

Note that more well-known bloggers haven't reported on this, likely because they're waiting for a definitive source to quote.

So, highly encouraging, but not definitive.
hhdl and busdriver11 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Am I thinking about things correctly. according to:

• Convert them to redeemable SkyMiles at 2:1 ratio
I am a 4+MM (and have 537K MQMs) Since I will be DM until DL changes the rules, I plan to convert the 537K MQM to 268K Skymiles.

I am pretty sure I am thinking about this correctly. Any idea when we can make this choice. I know the deadline is 12/31/2024 but sooner the better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.