Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta cheating

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:43 pm

Best post more details about your flight as there are plenty of people willing to help here.
Adam1222 and hi55us like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Good luck with all of your complaining. That won’t get you anywhere I am afraid. You are much better off spending time finding partner award inventory to India and then DL to that gateway. I am confused since this is a layover issue in LHR and DL has a lot of flights to/from LHR … was that discussed? VS to LHR then DL to the US? Should be straightforward unless I am missing something.

Guess then there is an o/n in the US instead of LHR. No way to connect BOM with BNA w/o an o/n/ keeping the VS flight.
Adam1222 and JPG3392 like this.

Last edited by cfischer; Aug 6, 2022 at 4:36 pm
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:47 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Most likely OP's PNR already has annotations about the interactions will different agents, so it might not help when calling back. However, I don't see why DL cannot rebook if they issued the ticket. I've had partner schedule changes in the past that have been rebooked without a hitch. As flyerCO mentioned upthread, I would try contacting DL again, explaining nicely the situation and the expected outcome (Full itinerary proposed) and if they refuse, ask to be transferred to the JV Desk, who might help in this situation. I've never seen partner award availability an issue when rebooking due to schedule change.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I did some digging about the OPs rant, and discovered why this may be more complicated than the typical rebooking.

The BOM-LHR flight on VS now does not land in LHR until 4:35pm, which is indeed too late to connect to any LHR-US flight on either Virgin or Delta that would allow a connection to BNA that night. Hence why OP now has an overnight layover.

While OP makes a point that this is a 36 hour trip, this was always going to be a long trip.
The only shorter options Delta is selling leave Bombay at 2:35am and involve flights on Air France, or 2:30am on KLM. (With routings many of us would find *worse* than the overnight in LHR!) During a holiday week, there may be limited availability on these flights.
TerryK, duluthDL, 8420PR and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by bomaab
nor have I till now —

here is what their own site says

There has been a flight schedule change or cancellation affecting your original trip, but don't worry, we've automatically rebooked you on the flight(s) below. If the change to your itinerary includes a flight cancellation or significant delay and you are not satisfied with this updated itinerary, you may be eligible to change your flight(s) at no extra cost”
I'm being totally serious, is English your first language?

I bolded the part that makes a lot of what you are saying untrue. (and as said, Delta can't just force AF/KL/VS to make award availability. All they can do is ask. Considering when you are flying I'd almost bet my house on that not happening.

As for what happened with United, happy for you they were able to figure out a solution for you but that doesn't mean it is going to happen every single time on every single airline.
all I need is rebooked in a proper itinerary vs 38 hour trip with overnight layover. Which is the most reasonable thing any customer can and would expect.
Originally Posted by MichaelSTL
Totally serious question: What can you sue for? I’ve never thought of suing over an airline ticket?
Nothing. If it got in front of a Judge (in the US) OP would get laughed at.
Originally Posted by ohmark
"Delta cheating"
Yeah OP keeps saying they weren't hostile but they sure sound like it to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Originally Posted by bomaab
I called them. Gave them various options (skyteam) and was open to ideas. I am not sure why some here think I fought with them. I was v polite. Calmly explained the issue. Various options. And how 38 hours was unreasonable. I didn’t ask for comp. I didn’t ask for upgrades. At end I even said ok give me a hotel for the night.

as someone else posted I have filed to the UK law for delays and comp. Heck I even offered to pay some cash and they can keep miles to get better route - even though I think it’s their responsibility.

I think what folks seem to understand is that if you book a flight say in may for Dec. then schedule changes. And let’s say cost of flight on a partner airline increases by $1k - the solution can’t be airline gives you full refund and you book another ticket at much higher price.

anyways. Thanks.. as I said. My complaints are getting ready to be filed. I will let you all know the outcome
but yeah, it can.
JPG3392 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

Yeah OP keeps saying they weren't hostile but they sure sound like it to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As someone posted the thread where OP unleashed invective about Delta when booking this very trip, I'd be shocked otherwise
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam1222
As someone posted the thread where OP unleashed invective about Delta when booking this very trip, I'd be shocked otherwise
This one?
Help please - Delta trying to fleece for ticket
Adam1222 and GregInMN like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: ba silver
Unfortunately in the US the OP has few options. One more reason why there needs to be better customer protection.

An airline that issues a ticket should be forced to get you to your destination. When other airlines are part of the trip they should be equally responsible.

There is nothing stopping DL and VS agreeing on opening award space in these situations. If one airline refuses then ticketing carrier should have the right to issue a revenue ticket to destination and sue the carrier that cancelled the flight.

As last resort, passengers should have the right to purchase a ticket on any airline at the full walk up fare and get reimbursed. If I was the President I would simply tell airlines to either obey or give back all the bailout money they mooched from taxpayers.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
incorrect. VS will still be responsible for the cost unless passenger specifically agrees otherwise.

This may be a DL ticket, but the flight that was changed/canceled is operated by an EU/UK airline.
I won't profess to be an EU261 expert but can you cite and post the applicable part of EU261 that says if you rebook out of another city following an advance schedule change the airline is then on the hook for the costs incurred if you have to reposition to that city for the rebooked flight?
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I won't profess to be an EU261 expert but can you cite and post the applicable part of EU261 that says if you rebook out of another city following an advance schedule change the airline is then on the hook for the costs incurred if you have to reposition to that city for the rebooked flight?
When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
BOM airport is very telling in this story.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
So how does that apply in the case I made the for the OP? In the case as I provided it, it would be the OP asking for an alternate city, not the carrier “offering” it in lieu of departing out of BOM.

Also, what defines “town, city, or region?” and/or “close by”? Are DEL and BLR considered the same “town, city, or region” or even “close by” to BOM for the application of what you posted/cited?
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Wow. I just learned the Delta and Virgin have a infinite amount of seats in any market place.

these threads are always hilarious to me. You can tell who took basic economics in school and you thinks the world runs on unicorn farts.
Perhaps I said it wrong. What I really meant is that I don't see why DL and VS can't agree to get the OP on the next next flight that has available seats. Nobody expects an airline to produce seats on a full flight. I just don't understand why when an airline cancels a flight they are not willing to give a displaced passenger who booked an award a seat on the next flight with available seats.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I filed the online form you suggested with VS for the 261 - their form upon submission said they will contact in 48 hours.

As for people accusing me of being hostile - etc. Why would you get personal with me is beyond me. I have seen so often deltas many ways that we work around. A few weeks ago, I saw a flight that was routed Bom-Lhr-Atl-Iad cheaper miles than exact same flight that was just Bom-Lhr-Atl. If any of you travel international extensively - in the past we used to do multi city bookings or call as DL website would route us via some other city when trying to fly direct and then if you tried to book that city, it paired you with exact opposite city. We found workarounds to this.. just like my prev thread - people helped me out how to book. BNA is actually not even allowed to be book (despite legal connections, etc due to some system blocks they have).

Anyways - thanks to people like you - this forum as always as helped me. I have filed 261 claim
I have filed a complaint with DOT
i will be looking to small cause court to file a complaint. I looked up virgin and delta websites. VS actually has a route that works from Bom-del-Lhr-Atl but Delta wont book me as that partner is VS partner (that was DL partner but its not right now as DL metal does not fly to India). I again spoke to agents yesterday. Her explanation to me says it all —- Flights Change- schedules changes - we will not call VS - we will not ask them or provide overnight stay hotel ourselves. sorry you have 38 hour flight. We have other options but we will only book you on VS flight.. etc etc…

One thing I am sure of - consumer protection is not dead. Unlikes some other insinuations made here about me - I have asked for best connection - denied - asked for hotel - denied and nope I did not ask for any freebies - I did not even ask for an upgrade or anything given this change etc.

As I have said numerous times —- I have been polite, tried to get resolution and nope - not interested in fighting here or on phones with CSRs. One CSR told me - I feel so sorry for you, I will plead your case with global support because this is so wrong and they were turned down.

Unless someone higher up in DL takes responsibility this issue wont be resolved here or without me taking additional steps. Which I will as contrary to some beliefs here - one cannot simply take an itinerary months in advance - keep selling tickets and tell the customer —- sorry but you going to have to live with a 38 hour journey!!

Thank you once again for your help on this matter. I appreciate you pointing me to EU and UK protection laws which I have filed for.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
So how does that apply in the case I made the for the OP? In the case as I provided it, it would be the OP asking for an alternate city, not the carrier “offering” it in lieu of departing out of BOM.

Also, what defines “town, city, or region?” and/or “close by”? Are DEL and BLR considered the same “town, city, or region” or even “close by” to BOM for the application of what you posted/cited?
one gets into all sorts of issues when one has to take an alternate city. For eg blr and del are equivalent of staying in say Atl and agreeing to fly out of NY or BOS on your own. Bags for example (TATL have diff limits) - trip protection does not apply as they are two separate tickets. Why would I spend money on booking tickets myself when an airline is supposed to protect me. I have offered then numerous alternative routes - they have refused - incl VS own route that VS is selling on website - BOM-DEL-LHR… since Bom-Del is with a VS partner.

I am going to move forward with complaints and then attempt calling end of week — after seeing the forum replies - I will ask for JV desk and see if they will transfer me and if they will prevail….end of week…

Have a great week everyone!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.