Wiki Posts
Search

Delta cheating

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Couple of things.

As you booked a VS operated flight and VS changed schedule, they under EC261 (still in effect like most EU law in UK, commonlycalled UK261 when referringto UK) are responsible for costs incurred. They will have to pay for hotels/meals for any added overnight.

This is not correct with respect to schedule changes four months in advance.

As to the OP, even if you could sue Delta about this (you can't), that wouldn't get you on a different flight. It would maybe get you a refund. Delta is already willing to refund you completely.

Further, accusations of Delta cheating are unlikely to get you what you want. If there are seats on a Delta code share or partner route available, try calmly and not accusatorily explaining that and asking to be accommodated on those. If no award seats are available on those flights, it is not easy for a representative to book you on those so be patient and gracious
Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by xjaehyun
I can’t imagine the benefit(s) of suing Delta over this flight dilemma will outweigh the cost of suing.
Especially because my guess is that the resolution is simply a full refund, which I imagine the OP doesn't want (because they can get it anyway just by asking).
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Booking a flight six or more months in advance may get you the fare or the award availability you are looking for, but schedules, unlike fares, change and sometimes big time. I once had a UA flight IST-EWR-BNA and my easy connection at EWR turned into an overnight due to a schedule change. Turns out just after landing in EWR a major storm system shut everything down- and luckily I already had my hotel reservation. Many slept overnight in the terminal.

Award tickets are sometimes in a league of their own. I've seen AA propose two overnights for a J class award ticket at a low mileage level. Tempting, but not practical. But the fact is from their perspective, it was fair.

Like others here, I suggest you keep trying.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
What is your travel date and what was the schedule change? Posting a few more details may allow other posters to offer better alternatives that you can call back and propose to DL.

DL can force open award space on its own flights but can’t force open award space on partner flights and only DL partners fly to BOM. DL doesn’t fly there with their own metal. If they’re having issues with the VS space, ask the agent to coordinate with the partner or joint venture desk. They may be able to find an option that avoid a super long layover.

Other options may include rebooking out of DEL or BLR if a DEL-LHR or connection via AMS or CDG or out of BLR to AMS or CDG shows any award space. I’m not saying you should do this as you may prefer not to do this and you would have to get to DEL or BLR at your own expense but just trying to propose a possible alternative.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
What is your travel date and what was the schedule change?

DL can force open award space on its own flights but can’t force open award space on partner flights and only DL partners fly to BOM. DL doesn’t fly there with their own metal.

Posting a few more details may allow other posters to offer better alternatives that you can call back and propose to DL. If they’re having issues with the VS space, ask the agent to coordinate with the partner or joint venture desk. They may be able to find an option that avoid a super long layover.

Other options may include rebooking out of DEL or BLR if a DEL-LHR or connection via AMS or CDG or out of BLR to AMS or CDG shows any award space. I’m not saying you should do this as you may prefer not to do this and you would have to get to DEL or BLR at your own expense but just trying to propose a possible alternative.

the return trip is end of Dec which is the problem. I told them I am completely flexible on route. Yes delta metal does not fly out of India. When something like this happened on United they rebooked me without a hassle a year ago as partner cancelled their flights.

DL needs to rebook on a better itinerary like this as only other option is to cancel and book a revenue ticket which is sky high this late …
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:27 am
Original Poster

What is your travel date and what was the schedule change?

DL can force open award space on its own flights but can’t force open award space on partner flights and only DL partners fly to BOM. DL doesn’t fly there with their own metal.

Posting a few more details may allow other posters to offer better alternatives that you can call back and propose to DL. If they’re having issues with the VS space, ask the agent to coordinate with the partner or joint venture desk. They may be able to find an option that avoid a super long layover.

the return trip is end of Dec which is the problem. I told them I am completely flexible on route. Yes delta metal does not fly out of India. When something like this happened on United they rebooked me without a hassle a year ago as partner cancelled their flights.

DL needs to rebook on a better itinerary like this as only other option is to cancel and book a revenue ticket which is sky high this late …
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by bomaab

UA likely rebooked you because a partner airline had available space. If DL partners hasn't released space to DL; there is nothing more DL can do as you yourself admit, DL doesn't actually fly it's own metal to India.

This is one of the disadvantages of booking partner awards. DL can only put in a request to AF/KL/VS and hope one of them releases inventory, but they don't owe you anything else. Your solution is to hope award inventory opens up, fly your itinerary as is or get a refund.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
It a long trip, you are using miles to obtan. Pay the cost of the layover hotel and enjoy the flight.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bescobar
It a long trip, you are using miles to obtan. Pay the cost of the layover hotel and enjoy the flight.

miles isn’t free but more importantly I could have easily bought revenue ticket far cheaper months ago when I booked these flights. As I explained - the fare for just one way return leg now is higher than entire return flight.

and I have not been accusatory. Far from it. All the reps agreed with me but were turned down by their higher ups as this is wrong.

well. I will keep you posted once I take action - am pretty sure it should have been a simple rebook to keep my itinerary protected.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by bomaab
I have not been accusatory. Far from it.
"Delta cheating"
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
The OP needs to tell Delta what itinerary they want to fly. Clearly the original one is not available anymore nor will it be. Rebook to another more desirable one and during the next schedule change a few weeks from now, find another itinerary. DL will not book you a hotel. DL will not put you on a non skyteam airline for a flight in December.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pgh234
The OP needs to tell Delta what itinerary they want to fly. Clearly the original one is not available anymore nor will it be. Rebook to another more desirable one and during the next schedule change a few weeks from now, find another itinerary. DL will not book you a hotel. DL will not put you on a non skyteam airline for a flight in December.

I called them. Gave them various options (skyteam) and was open to ideas. I am not sure why some here think I fought with them. I was v polite. Calmly explained the issue. Various options. And how 38 hours was unreasonable. I didn’t ask for comp. I didn’t ask for upgrades. At end I even said ok give me a hotel for the night.

as someone else posted I have filed to the UK law for delays and comp. Heck I even offered to pay some cash and they can keep miles to get better route - even though I think it’s their responsibility.

I think what folks seem to understand is that if you book a flight say in may for Dec. then schedule changes. And let’s say cost of flight on a partner airline increases by $1k - the solution can’t be airline gives you full refund and you book another ticket at much higher price.

anyways. Thanks.. as I said. My complaints are getting ready to be filed. I will let you all know the outcome
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam1222
This is not correct with respect to schedule changes four months in advance.

As to the OP, even if you could sue Delta about this (you can't), that wouldn't get you on a different flight. It would maybe get you a refund. Delta is already willing to refund you completely.

Further, accusations of Delta cheating are unlikely to get you what you want. If there are seats on a Delta code share or partner route available, try calmly and not accusatorily explaining that and asking to be accommodated on those. If no award seats are available on those flights, it is not easy for a representative to book you on those so be patient and gracious
You're confusing things. There is no COMPENSATION due. Compensation is what varries depending on notice.

However VS is liable for providing duty of care regardless of notice. (Hotels/meals) Duty of care ALWAYS applies. It doesn't matter the reason or amount of notice, airline is required to provide it.
mrow, Dawgfan6291, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Aug 6, 2022 at 3:07 pm
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
What is your travel date and what was the schedule change? Posting a few more details may allow other posters to offer better alternatives that you can call back and propose to DL.

DL can force open award space on its own flights but can’t force open award space on partner flights and only DL partners fly to BOM. DL doesn’t fly there with their own metal. If they’re having issues with the VS space, ask the agent to coordinate with the partner or joint venture desk. They may be able to find an option that avoid a super long layover.

incorrect. VS will still be responsible for the cost unless passenger specifically agrees otherwise.

This may be a DL ticket, but the flight that was changed/canceled is operated by an EU/UK airline.
mrow likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bescobar
Apparently some people have money to just waste.
strickerj and Goodoldflyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.