Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta cheating

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
So how does that apply in the case I made the for the OP? In the case as I provided it, it would be the OP asking for an alternate city, not the carrier “offering” it in lieu of departing out of BOM.

Also, what defines “town, city, or region?” and/or “close by”? Are DEL and BLR considered the same “town, city, or region” or even “close by” to BOM for the application of what you posted/cited?
If he asks, they may offer it. Nothing says they have to be the one instigating the discussion. There's no set definition, any airport except what is ticketed qualifies.

The point of the language is to prevent airline from saying we flew you to co-terminal, you're on your own. (Ie we flew you to NRT, you're on you're own to get to HND)
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bomaab
I have offered then numerous alternative routes - they have refused - incl VS own route that VS is selling on website - BOM-DEL-LHR… since Bom-Del is with a VS partner.
it seems we have clarity here. DL has many routes it sells here, but you don't want any of them, but rather routes that other airlines sell. While DL may prevail to get its own partners to open up availability, it won't on other airlines partners. And since DLs own partners have plenty of options for you that get you from your origin to your destination, that's all you can reasonably expect. I'm not sure what you are suing for, but small claims court does not provide injunctive relief/specific performance.

I Also expect your EU/UK 261 compensation claim to be summarily denied, as it does not provide a mechanism to force airlines to put you on specific flights. Even if you are entitled to meals and accommodation, you are not entitled to that until December.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
it seems we have clarity here. DL has many routes it sells here, but you don't want any of them, but rather routes that other airlines sell. While DL may prevail to get its own partners to open up availability, it won't on other airlines partners. And since DLs own partners have plenty of options for you that get you from your origin to your destination, that's all you can reasonably expect. I'm not sure what you are suing for, but small claims court does not provide injunctive relief/specific performance.

I Also expect your EU/UK 261 compensation claim to be summarily denied, as it does not provide a mechanism to force airlines to put you on specific flights. Even if you are entitled to meals and accommodation, you are not entitled to that until December.
What part of my message did you actually read that gave you this clarity? I have been denied all routes except for the one that is 38 hours with overnight stay. I have stayed 100% flexible for route and only one offered to me is the 38 hour one with overnight layover..
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Agree. I was never suggesting file now. Just have been pointing out there are rights under 261. Rights that'll most likely make VS do something instead of paying out.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

What part of my message did you actually read that gave you this clarity? I have been denied all routes except for the one that is 38 hours with overnight stay. I have stayed 100% flexible for route and only one offered to me is the 38 hour one with overnight layover..
You've contacted front line staff outside business hours during weekday. You need to call M-F during business hours and ask for JV support desk. They can contact VS and ask what VS (as they, not DL are responsible under 261) will do. They may not be willing to do anything. In that case other than provide hotel/duty of care for extra night, they don't have to. VS will give voucher at airport or reimburse after the fact.

You will get nothing from a US court. There is no US regulation requiring anything you want.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
As I have said numerous times —- I have been polite, tried to get resolution and nope - not interested in fighting here or on phones with CSRs. One CSR told me - I feel so sorry for you, I will plead your case with global support because this is so wrong and they were turned down.
Just FYI, this is a classic de-escalation technique taught to, and employed by, front line support agents when dealing with someone who is, or who they think may become, hostile.

Certainly there are situations in which a CSR does actually feel what they're saying, and without being in their head or hearing the conversation, it's hard to know whether or not this was the case, but it doesn't definitely mean they think you're in the right.
flyerCO, Adam1222, JPG3392 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
one gets into all sorts of issues when one has to take an alternate city. For eg blr and del are equivalent of staying in say Atl and agreeing to fly out of NY or BOS on your own. Bags for example (TATL have diff limits) - trip protection does not apply as they are two separate tickets. Why would I spend money on booking tickets myself when an airline is supposed to protect me. I have offered then numerous alternative routes - they have refused - incl VS own route that VS is selling on website - BOM-DEL-LHR… since Bom-Del is with a VS partner.
None of what you say in regards to the issues of getting to DEL or BLR from BOM is wrong and I can't fault one for not wanting to take on that expense. Again, it was only a possible suggestion depending on your flexibility and travel plans. I do get that despite being in the same country, DEL and BLR aren't "close" to BOM.

However, where you do run into the issue is your argument about "VS" partners. VS didn't issue this ticket. DL did. So what matters is whether DL is partners with the airline operating that BOM-DEL leg to be able to ticket it.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
If he asks, they may offer it. Nothing says they have to be the one instigating the discussion. There's no set definition, any airport except what is ticketed qualifies.
*ANY* airport except what is ticketed qualifies? So if OP wants, he could leverage this into a trip to the Maldives? Thailand? Singapore? Hawaii?

The point of the language is to prevent airline from saying we flew you to co-terminal, you're on your own. (Ie we flew you to NRT, you're on you're own to get to HND)
Sure, because I don't think anyone could argue HND and NRT don't serve the same town/city/region though the addition of "region" could become quite broad so I'm curious as to what the limits are should I ever find myself in a similar situation so I'm asking if can you post anything to actually back up what you are claiming in regards to what the limits are, if any? For my job, my AOR is the Indo-Pacific region, that includes everything from South Africa to the Indian Peninsula to Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia to Australia to China to Japan to Korea Alaska to Hawaii and all other Pacific Islands. Would these qualify for the same "region"?

ETA: Is there also a difference when we're talking about an advance schedule change versus day-of IROPS?

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Aug 8, 2022 at 7:15 am
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
An airline that issues a ticket should be forced to get you to your destination. When other airlines are part of the trip they should be equally responsible.
They are getting the OP to their destination. OP just doesn’t like how they’re doing that.

Which is a valid criticism given the lone rebooking option.

Delta is following their rules under their contract of carriage. They have offered a rebooking that complies with the CoC. They legally don’t have to do more than that though they do give their front line employees a good amount of flexibility beyond the CoC to resolve concerns.

But they can’t fix everything. And they aren’t going to buy the OP a cash ticket on another airline unless the OP meets very specific criteria. Had Delta cancel a transatlantic flight for me last month on day of departure and they wouldn’t even try to put me on a Lufthansa flight that day and I’ve got somewhat okay status in the SkyMiles program. (Other SkyTeam options would have gotten me home later than the scheduled relief flight)

The nature of air travel is that Stuff Happens and you aren’t always going to end up with what you want; doubly so since 2020. You either accept what options you do have or you take the refund and move onward.
Adam1222, JPG3392 and defrosted like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmouse
They are getting the OP to their destination. OP just doesn’t like how they’re doing that.

Which is a valid criticism given the lone rebooking option.

Delta is following their rules under their contract of carriage. They have offered a rebooking that complies with the CoC. They legally don’t have to do more than that though they do give their front line employees a good amount of flexibility beyond the CoC to resolve concerns.

But they can’t fix everything. And they aren’t going to buy the OP a cash ticket on another airline unless the OP meets very specific criteria. Had Delta cancel a transatlantic flight for me last month on day of departure and they wouldn’t even try to put me on a Lufthansa flight that day and I’ve got somewhat okay status in the SkyMiles program. (Other SkyTeam options would have gotten me home later than the scheduled relief flight)

The nature of air travel is that Stuff Happens and you aren’t always going to end up with what you want; doubly so since 2020. You either accept what options you do have or you take the refund and move onward.
The other thing is "Be careful what you ask for - you may just get it." For award tickets in particular, the resolution for airlines is not going to be to pay out of a bunch of revenue tickets for schedule changes for advance bookings. The resolution is going to be "we're just going to stop offering award tickets on partners so we don't end up on the hook for the bill of an expensive revenue ticket when the partner changes/cancels the flight" (or at least stop offering award tickets well in advance and only open award seats close-in to departure when schedules are unlikely to shift/change except for day-of IROPS).
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:01 am

You said you "offered them numerous alternative routes...incl VS own route that VS is selling on website - BOM-DEL-LHR." That route was properly denied and you had no expectation for that route. By bringing that route up, you should expect failure.
You did not say they offered you no alternative routes.
Your tone and lack of clarity here may also be impacting your experience with Delta.

It's unclear what cabin you want and how many tickets, but the only chance you have is if Delta gets its partners to open award inventory on the BOM-AMS and BOM-CDG flights--which would be 25 hours of travel. They may be successful, they may not. But being nicer than your tone here and in previous thread would certainly help. Contrary to the misstatements people have made here, they do not have any obligation to do that. They have an obligation to rebook you for sure....on something. They did. You dont like the options that have availability, which is a 36 hour option. Accusing people of cheating and similar invective is only going to get people to put you on hold ans say "Oh that's awful, let me see if I can plead your case," go to the bathroom, and come back and say "You know I wish I could help you but its out of my hands darlin"

As for people posting about VS, VS is going to be out of the loop here. There's no routing DL can get for OP on VS he would deem acceptable; all would require an overnight in LHR or JFK

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 8, 2022 at 8:10 am
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
None of what you say in regards to the issues of getting to DEL or BLR from BOM is wrong and I can't fault one for not wanting to take on that expense. Again, it was only a possible suggestion depending on your flexibility and travel plans. I do get that despite being in the same country, DEL and BLR aren't "close" to BOM.

However, where you do run into the issue is your argument about "VS" partners. VS didn't issue this ticket. DL did. So what matters is whether DL is partners with the airline operating that BOM-DEL leg to be able to ticket it.

*ANY* airport except what is ticketed qualifies? So if OP wants, he could leverage this into a trip to the Maldives? Thailand? Singapore? Hawaii?

Sure, because I don't think anyone could argue HND and NRT don't serve the same town/city/region though the addition of "region" could become quite broad so I'm curious as to what the limits are should I ever find myself in a similar situation so I'm asking if can you post anything to actually back up what you are claiming in regards to what the limits are, if any? For my job, my AOR is the Indo-Pacific region, that includes everything from South Africa to the Indian Peninsula to Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia to Australia to China to Japan to Korea Alaska to Hawaii and all other Pacific Islands. Would these qualify for the same "region"?

ETA: Is there also a difference when we're talking about an advance schedule change versus day-of IROPS?

I've never said he can "force" them to book to another city. However if they agree to it, unless the passenger agrees as condition of being rebooked, they are on the hook. Just like airline is on the hook for his non-refundable hotel costs if they totally stop service.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

You said you "offered them numerous alternative routes...incl VS own route that VS is selling on website - BOM-DEL-LHR." That route was properly denied and you had no expectation for that route. By bringing that route up, you should expect failure.
You did not say they offered you no alternative routes.
Your tone and lack of clarity here may also be impacting your experience with Delta.

It's unclear what cabin you want and how many tickets, but the only chance you have is if Delta gets its partners to open award inventory on the BOM-AMS and BOM-CDG flights--which would be 25 hours of travel. They may be successful, they may not. But being nicer than your tone here and in previous thread would certainly help. Contrary to the misstatements people have made here, they do not have any obligation to do that. They have an obligation to rebook you for sure....on something. They did. You dont like the options that have availability, which is a 36 hour option. Accusing people of cheating and similar invective is only going to get people to put you on hold ans say "Oh that's awful, let me see if I can plead your case," go to the bathroom, and come back and say "You know I wish I could help you but its out of my hands darlin"

As for people posting about VS, VS is going to be out of the loop here. There's no routing DL can get for OP on VS he would deem acceptable; all would require an overnight in LHR or JFK
OP should be asking JV desk to ask VS about BOM-DEL. VS can offer it. OP might even contact VS directly and while VS can't reissue ticket theirselves, can leave notes directing DL what they are/aren't willing to do.

I highly doubt VS will do it. However it is on VS to decide. I highly suspect they will just pay for hotel/meals instead of rebooking.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:32 am

OP should be asking JV desk to ask VS about BOM-DEL. VS can offer it. OP might even contact VS directly and while VS can't reissue ticket theirselves, can leave notes directing DL what they are/aren't willing to do.

I highly doubt VS will do it. However it is on VS to decide. I highly suspect they will just pay for hotel/meals instead of rebooking.
If BOM-DEL were a VS flight, perhaps. I'm highly skeptical that the OP calling VS would do anything good rather than provoke more accusations of cheating. It seems like OP should be focused on solutions rather than accusations and reimbursement for costs that may or may not ever be incurred.
SDQBound, JPG3392, hi55us and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

If BOM-DEL were a VS flight, perhaps. I'm highly skeptical that the OP calling VS would do anything good rather than provoke more accusations of cheating. It seems like OP should be focused on solutions rather than accusations and reimbursement for costs that may or may not ever be incurred.
For me, I would just accept the new schedule and get VS to cover hotel. I think OP is even willing to do that, but DL agent (who have no training in 261) keep telling him no hotel. AFAIK, DL will even cover hotel in this situation. Just agents that have no training, saying no. It's why I've stressed call during the weekday business hours. OP will get much better support.
SK, SDQBound, MSPeconomist and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

Yeah OP keeps saying they weren't hostile but they sure sound like it to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lol you can't imagine someone being polite on the phone but venting frustration on this website? ok.
obscure2k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.