Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I get this is several years out… but it’s really annoying to hear about Delta wanting to buy MORE planes when they can’t even staff the ones they have currently….
This maybe about replacing some of the aircraft they have. Many of their 737-800s and 757-200s aren’t young at all. And my personal opinions about the MAX aside, the 737-10 MAX can probably fill a lot of the domestic 757 gap.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
"[Boeing and Delta] are at the finish line of a deal for up to 130 737 Max 10 aircraft, according to several familiar with the airline and plane maker's plans."
Ew.
cmd320, IndyHoosier and mcgheeda like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I get this is several years out… but it’s really annoying to hear about Delta wanting to buy MORE planes when they can’t even staff the ones they have currently….
737 pilots are plentiful.
and 757/67 cross-trained will have to go somewhere when those are mothballed.
people seem to think any pilot can fly any plane
and Airbus is still new-er to Delta. I don’t recall flying one before NW A330.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC, CLEAR
I’m not excited for the bathroom but there’s a lot at play here still. -10’s aren’t even certified yet and need to be before the end of the year or Boeing faces new regulations which could further delay the launch. Regulations, I might add, that were the direct result of the original MAX failures/coverup.
DenverBrian and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'm not sure what kind of standard of journalism View From The Wing subscribes to but surely this can't be a factual statement? 😳

In fact Delta CEO Ed Bastian has called Boeing an ‘arms dealer’ to Middle East airlines after his predecessor at the helm of the Atlanta-based carrier intimated that Boeing customers from the Gulf were complicit in 9/11.

https://viewfromthewing.com/delta-on...eing-737-maxs/
N830MH likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:31 am

Boeing CEO says planemaker could be forced to cancel 737 MAX 10 -Aviation Week (msn.com)

Key statement: "he does not expect to cancel the 737 MAX 10 but said 'it’s just a risk.'"

To me this says Boeing is seriously considering canceling the project and they are sending out some feelers to see how the market reacts. If the market says cut your losses and move on, max 10 is done (which is what I expect). I am sure DL could see the writing on the wall and I am not surprised that DL is playing some games and trying to take advantage of the situation.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by The Situation
Boeing CEO says planemaker could be forced to cancel 737 MAX 10 -Aviation Week (msn.com)

Key statement: "he does not expect to cancel the 737 MAX 10 but said 'it’s just a risk.'"

To me this says Boeing is seriously considering canceling the project and they are sending out some feelers to see how the market reacts. If the market says cut your losses and move on, max 10 is done (which is what I expect). I am sure DL could see the writing on the wall and I am not surprised that DL is playing some games and trying to take advantage of the situation.
They are not cancelling the Max 10. They are threatening it so that congress will grant an extension. The bluff will succeed, Boeing is too important to the US govt.

Edit: And Delta is not playing games. They are a business seeking to buy planes at a good price.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; Jul 7, 2022 at 12:02 pm
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by The Situation

Let me get this right.

Boeing games regulations on the Max in order to not require new pilot training that would cost them money. And 2 crash as a direct result.

And now Boeing wants regulators to exempt the next version from regs that require new pilot training in order to save them money.

I think that proposal will fly like a Max with the stab at max trim down.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Let me get this right.

Boeing games regulations on the Max in order to not require new pilot training that would cost them money. And 2 crash as a direct result.

And now Boeing wants regulators to exempt the next version from regs that require new pilot training in order to save them money.

You are underestimating the level of corruption in the American political system.
hockeystl and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Let me get this right.

You don't have any of that right at all.

First pilot training costs are an airline issue, not a Boeing issue.

Second, what is going on with the -10 has nothing to do with MCAS.

no offense but some of y'all need to chill out on reading the sensational news some of y'all read. The -8 and -9 at United/American/Southwest had the same MCAS issues at times as the airplanes the crashed. The difference between a 3rd world airline and US airline is our pilots are actually trained and actually know how to fly the airplanes. Lion has lawn darted 737NGs as well and I don't see any of you freaking out to fly on them......
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
They are not cancelling the Max 10. They are threatening it so that congress will grant an extension. The bluff will succeed, Boeing is too important to the US govt.

Edit: And Delta is not playing games. They are a business seeking to buy planes at a good price.
exactly this.
DiverDave and Newman55 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
. The -8 and -9 at United/American/Southwest had the same MCAS issues at times as the airplanes the crashed. The difference between a 3rd world airline and US airline is our pilots are actually trained and actually know how to fly the airplanes.
Do you have a source that says a US flown 737MAX experienced max downward trim but it was stopped/recovered by the flight crew?

DOT says it hasn’t happened. https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisag...in-the-us/amp/
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
Do you have a source that says a US flown 737MAX experienced max downward trim but it was stopped/recovered by the flight crew?

DOT says it hasn’t happened. https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisag...in-the-us/amp/
I don't remember the specifics but I am fairly certain American and Southwest (and I thought United) had some issues where the airplane suddenly started pitching down violently.

So maybe not the exact same but I thought the issues above were similar.

(either way, the -10 issues are a EICAS issue (well lack there of) nothing to do with MCAS)
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
You don't have any of that right at all.

First pilot training costs are an airline issue, not a Boeing issue.

Second, what is going on with the -10 has nothing to do with MCAS.

no offense but some of y'all need to chill out on reading the sensational news some of y'all read. The -8 and -9 at United/American/Southwest had the same MCAS issues at times as the airplanes the crashed. The difference between a 3rd world airline and US airline is our pilots are actually trained and actually know how to fly the airplanes. Lion has lawn darted 737NGs as well and I don't see any of you freaking out to fly on them......

exactly this.
"It was the pilots' fault" is a disproven Boeing talking point. Peddled by significant Boeing investors and the likes of Sam Graves.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...7-max-crashes/
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
"It was the pilots' fault" is a disproven Boeing talking point. Peddled by significant Boeing investors and the likes of Sam Graves.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...7-max-crashes/
I didn't say it was totally the pilots fault, I said pilots in the US are trained better.

Again, go check out the two airlines in question safety record. In third world countries they are generally trained more to baby sit the auto pilot/computers. In the US and Europe they are trained to fly the plane and us the auto pilot/computers if they want. (though we are getting more away from this which is part of why MCAS is a thing to begin with, thanks Southwest)
Newman55 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I didn't say it was totally the pilots fault, I said pilots in the US are trained better.

Again, go check out the two airlines in question safety record. In third world countries they are generally trained more to baby sit the auto pilot/computers. In the US and Europe they are trained to fly the plane and us the auto pilot/computers if they want. (though we are getting more away from this which is part of why MCAS is a thing to begin with, thanks Southwest)
Dude - you're directly saying it is a pilot problem despite that not being the case

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.