Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ekozie
This is true. Anecdotally, I hear everyone complain about the narrow seats on the 737s, but not the (same) narrow seats on the 757s.
It's similar to the CRJ-200 vs the 700/900.

Same fuselage but the floor is lower on the 700/900.
DenverBrian and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well surely this is something that BA could have fixed with the MAX then? Lower the floor a little bit? Though I guess they weren't capable of properly moving the engines, so maybe this is too much to ask for.
IndyHoosier and Mhyduchak like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Timely article about airplane/seat widths today on CNN...
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/w...cmd/index.html
It does smartly call out Boeing's attempt to provide more comfortable seating with the 777 (9-abreast) and 787 (8-abreast) but that most airlines ultimately just crammed an extra one in.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Timely article about airplane/seat widths today on CNN...
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/w...cmd/index.html
It does smartly call out Boeing's attempt to provide more comfortable seating with the 777 (9-abreast) and 787 (8-abreast) but that most airlines ultimately just crammed an extra one in.
And they got away with it because they are two-aisle planes, so there was just-barely-realistic room to do so.

With a single-aisle plane, there would IMO be great resistance to a 4-3 config, even if the fuselage were widened enough for 19" or 20" coach seats. If we're ever going to move to a wider seat, it'll likely be in single-aisle new designs.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
And they got away with it because they are two-aisle planes, so there was just-barely-realistic room to do so.

With a single-aisle plane, there would IMO be great resistance to a 4-3 config, even if the fuselage were widened enough for 19" or 20" coach seats. If we're ever going to move to a wider seat, it'll likely be in single-aisle new designs.
No threat of a 4-3 layout. Regulations require that a passenger can't be more than two seats from the aisle.
Statman and chunmin like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ijgordon
… most airlines ultimately just crammed an extra one in.
and because they’re revenue-driven … *much* more important to squeeze in an additional seat per row than to try to market increased comfort (at necessarily higher prices) to coach customers, the majority of whom are extremely price-conscious

... If we're ever going to move to a wider seat, it'll likely be in single-aisle new designs.
and it’ll be after some revolutionary — producible and cost-effective — breakthrough in aerodynamics or propulsion technology that will overcome today’s limitations of fuel consumption necessary to generate the thrust to overcome the drag of a cylindrical fuselage of a diameter sufficient to accommodate those wider seats in a 3-3 configuration
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Delta CEO says airline trying to reach deal with Boeing

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...ng-2022-06-01/

I'm guessing Delta wishes they had sought more purchase options for the 321neo. Airbus musf not be giving as good a deal as Delta is used to and now they're having to make it look like they are serious about ordering from Boeing. I'm sure Airbus knows better. They've won every aircraft order from Delta for a decade now and there is almost no chance of them ordering from anyone else. In my opinion Airbus will ultimately get the price if wants out of Delta.
I'll believe it when I see it!! Hope they won from Boeing and they will order the 737-MAX10.

Let the speculation begin!
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm guessing Delta wishes they had sought more purchase options for the 321neo. Airbus musf not be giving as good a deal as Delta is used to and now they're having to make it look like they are serious about ordering from Boeing. I'm sure Airbus knows better. They've won every aircraft order from Delta for a decade now and there is almost no chance of them ordering from anyone else. In my opinion Airbus will ultimately get the price if wants out of Delta.
I thought Delta got an ultra-sweet deal on the 321ceo and 321neo as part of their A350 (and maybe A330-900?) order(s)?
Also... supply issues and European inflation... Boeing is walking wounded with all of their commercial and military problems...
Delta goes for the best deal.
And the MAX plane isn't bad.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC, CLEAR
Wow. This might actually be happening.

https://theaircurrent.com/scoops/del...7-max-10-deal/
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Mhyduchak

…..like….what’s the actual point of adding this plane?
What market does it fill?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Not that surprising. Delta loves getting planes for cheap. And it's safe to say they're getting these for cheap
IndyHoosier and mcgheeda like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
…..like….what’s the actual point of adding this plane?
What market does it fill?
Delta has 100+ 757s (100 -20s and 16 -300s) and 77 737-800s that will all be 25+ years old by the time 2025 rolls around, not to mention a good number of older A319/A320s that will also be in that age range. With the 717s leaving by 2025, the 150-ish A321neos and the ~40 or so 223s left to be delivered won't make up for all that outgoing capacity by itself.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

No kidding!! I’ll believe it when I see it again!! I bet they will orders 737-MAX10.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by mersk862
Delta has 100+ 757s (100 -20s and 16 -300s) and 77 737-800s that will all be 25+ years old by the time 2025 rolls around, not to mention a good number of older A319/A320s that will also be in that age range. With the 717s leaving by 2025, the 150-ish A321neos and the ~40 or so 223s left to be delivered won't make up for all that outgoing capacity by itself.
I get this is several years out… but it’s really annoying to hear about Delta wanting to buy MORE planes when they can’t even staff the ones they have currently….
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
"[Boeing and Delta] are at the finish line of a deal for up to 130 737 Max 10 aircraft, according to several familiar with the airline and plane maker's plans."
Mhyduchak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.