Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Find him a nonstop or you run the risk of being stuck in ATL and not old enough to book a hotel. My young kids only fly nonstop so they can only get stuck at home or destination.
There are no direct flights BHM-STL.

Poster could look into having him take a shuttle bus to ATL, and both DL and WN have direct flights to STL from there.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Jun 19, 2022 at 3:04 pm
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
There are no direct flights BHM-STL.

Poster could look into having him take a shuttle bus to ATL, and both DL and WN have direct flights to STL from there.

David
Wouldn't using a shuttle bus still entail a risk of being stuck overnight at ATL? Avoiding this means that parent or other responsible adult takes kid to airport with a nonstop and parent or responsible adult meets the kid at the destination airport where the nonstop lands.

For BHM, maybe look at MSY or MEM for more nonstop choices. STL suggests AA, although if the kid has some status with DL and none at AA, it could be better to stick with DL so as to get some priority if something goes wrong. I'm not sure an airline would give special consideration to a 15 y.o. unless a UM fee has been paid.

BTW, does DL currently allow a UM to fly a domestic connection? That could be reassuring even if age 15 doesn't require travel as a UM (and of course the kid prefers to avoid UM supervision).
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by jjl468
The way the desk is laid out too meant I had a good view of her screen while she worked and I was amazed that she was doing all this through a terminal CLI rather than with a UI. Huge props to the agents that need to deal with that and shame on Delta IT for having such an unintuitive system.
so as many of us know, the CLI is DLTERM (which they funny enough resold to Virgin as VSTERM…), developed by Worldspan now Travelport… and Delta owns it outright (they acquired like 184 employees a decade ago to bring it in house).

there are just too many things they can do which they CANNOT do in SNAPP, the obfuscated UI used to check bags, at the gate, check in, etc. In summary it takes like 9 months to years to learn it, and Delta employees - or management - are impatient. Or lazy.

it’s similar with Salesforce (lightning vs classic), SAP, etc. there’s just more control in the big old one. But with control (power) comes great responsibility.
jjl468 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wouldn't using a shuttle bus still entail a risk of being stuck overnight at ATL? Avoiding this means that parent or other responsible adult takes kid to airport with a nonstop and parent or responsible adult meets the kid at the destination airport where the nonstop lands.

For BHM, maybe look at MSY or MEM for more nonstop choices. STL suggests AA, although if the kid has some status with DL and none at AA, it could be better to stick with DL so as to get some priority if something goes wrong. I'm not sure an airline would give special consideration to a 15 y.o. unless a UM fee has been paid.

BTW, does DL currently allow a UM to fly a domestic connection? That could be reassuring even if age 15 doesn't require travel as a UM (and of course the kid prefers to avoid UM supervision).
My 3 young kids have all frequently flown alone from 12-14 on WN and then at 15 on DL domestic and short international. I refuse to pay DL $300 roundtrip to babysit my 14-year old on a nonstop. But I would never let them connect and risk being stranded.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Ok, then the next question: is it possible to tack on a UM fee to an existing reservation, or will I need to cancel and rebook the whole thing?

Bham is roughly 2 hours from ATL, so if worse comes to worse, my son's mother can meet him at ATL if there's an issue--though probably an option not worth taking.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:07 pm

Delta twitter feed reads pretty much like Spirit now, during one their typical multi-day meltdowns.

JWD, Delta execs.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Minor at this point, but my JFK to LHR flight delayed 30
minutes tonight. Plane has been here for hours, and weather is beautiful here in NYC.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Minor at this point, but my JFK to LHR flight delayed 30
minutes tonight. Plane has been here for hours, and weather is beautiful here in NYC.
welcome back, Adelphos.
Looks like JFK > LHR is consistently .. delayed.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by lindros2
welcome back, Adelphos.
yeah this seems like a standard JFK driven delay, most international flights around now seem to be delayed 30 mins to an hour
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
'Travel Armageddon' continues as flight delays, cancellations pile up: What's going on? (msn.com)

Nationwide, Delta and United have the highest number of cancellations, with 7% and 3% of flights canceled, respectively, not including flights on their regional affiliates. Airports that are seeing the most issues include Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, John F. Kennedy International Airport and LaGuardia Airport in the New York City area.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by northinsouth
Ok, then the next question: is it possible to tack on a UM fee to an existing reservation, or will I need to cancel and rebook the whole thing?

Bham is roughly 2 hours from ATL, so if worse comes to worse, my son's mother can meet him at ATL if there's an issue--though probably an option not worth taking.
You can call and add on the $150 UM fee per direction to the pnr.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You can call and add on the $150 UM fee per direction to the pnr.
Yup, it took a little wrangling because the reservation was bought on my miles, but it's done.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lindros2
welcome back, Adelphos.
Well flight was delayed 30 minutes to 10:30, nothing yet in terms of gate availability and boarding, seems like a midnight or 1 AM departure at best

The problem is that airport issues like 30 minute delays at JFK run into Delta’s gate and other staffing issues, resulting in multi hour delays and cancellations. Depending on what happens tonight I may rant further. SkyClub closes in an hour.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Last July I think, Delta/Bastian released an apology letter for service issues and announced a number of things, like thr extension of status / another year of rollover.

With service issues much worse this year, he will have to write another letter. But does Delta give anything material to the customers?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh for Heaven's sake, enough with the hyperbole already, msn!
"This has been another travel Armageddon weekend," James Ferrara, co-founder and president of global host travel agency InteleTravel, told USA TODAY. "But it's not isolated, or really a surprise."

Armageddon is the last or final battle. So this weekend is yet another "final" battle, to be followed by more, and is not isolated?

(BTW I flew this evening and got to my destination early with no drama. I did not see any signs of Armageddon.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.