Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by hockeystl
Interested to see how this impacts those of us who paid for lifetime SC memberships.....

Email requesting clarification for Lifetime Members was sent to: [email protected]
I would like to know this also.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Beckles
Centurion holders don't despair, you can still enjoy all the fine food and beverages on arrival.
I'm Centurion and it never even crossed my mind to go to the Sky Club upon arrival. I can't imagine too many other members do.

Also I will give DL some credit in that they pay attention and actually know how many people are trying to use the club upon arrival. Or arriving 3+ hours before their flight.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Just need an other COVID wave with the BA.4 or BA.5 variant to wipe out the overcrowding, as the SC were so nice pre April 2021.

Upcoming recession should do the job of wiping out the masses.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
We are frequent cruisers and often return from MIA and FLL. Flights to LGA have been reduced. We recently were forced to take a 4:30PM from Miami because there were NO alternatives in the early afternoon. Yes, we spent over three hours in the Sky Club. Why should we be punished because DL has reduced their flight availability?
Old May 4, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yogimax
We are frequent cruisers and often return from MIA and FLL. Flights to LGA have been reduced. We recently were forced to take a 4:30PM from Miami because there were NO alternatives in the early afternoon. Yes, we spent over three hours in the Sky Club. Why should we be punished because DL has reduced their flight availability?
Sounds like this change will reduce crowding in the MIA and FLL clubs at least.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by yogimax

Not sure what flight availability has to do with going to the airport more than three hours in advance of boarding, other than aligning with your schedule. But the skyclubs have been crowded, and not as fun as a result.

I'm hoping these changes have some impact on the crowding issue.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; May 4, 2022 at 2:09 pm
Old May 4, 2022, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Not sure what flight availability has to do with going to the airport more than three hours in advance of boarding, other than aligning with your schedule. But the skyclubs have been crowded, and not as fun as a result.

I'm hoping these changes have some impact on the crowding issue.
I'm guessing it was a matter of an 11 am or noon hotel checkout time or maybe a charge for some additional hours on a rental car.
puntamita likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
[QUOTE=Goodoldflyer;34221233]Not sure what flight availability has to do with going to the airport more than three hours in advance of boarding.[/QUOTE

You have to leave the cruise ship by a certain time. You can't hang out at the port. Only reasonable place to go is the airport.

By the way, the Sky Club was not over crowded, everyone had a seat, they didn't run out of food or drinks.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by hockeystl
That was their approach when they stopped allowing all members to access SC when flying other airlines several years back. DL backed off the policy within a month for Lifetime members. I'd presume legal told them to change the rules back?
It's because people think if it's in a policy or contract that law doesn't matter. You can sign a contract with me making me your slave for the rest of my life but it wouldn't hold up in court. You can't make a policy saying "Here's how you have access and PS it can change at any time" then change a major focal point of access and expect the policy or contract to hold. Imagine this applying to vehicle warranties, job contracts or anything else. It's legalese that sheds off people who aren't bothered to fight.
lsquare and volabam like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
As someone who gets access with AMEX I would rather they had gotten rid of AMEX access. Or at least give these restrictions to AMEX. and have arrival access for club members/ DMs
lsquare, puntamita and DLASflyer like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Surprised there's no Diamond exception. Guess there's too many of us.
ebayj, lsquare, puntamita and 2 others like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by keitherson
Surprised there's no Diamond exception. Guess there's too many of us.
This year I'm not sure that would help!
lsquare likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I doubt that was for legal reasons, unless the legal department didn't do their job originally.
I think that the legal department's job back when lifetime memberships were conceived was less oriented towards reserving the right to screw over customers than it is today.
Old May 4, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Pretty certain Amex announced record numbers of Platinum card sign ups in Q1, I think this is the net result of that.

This is draconian for actual members and perhaps reserve cardholders and completely changes the goalposts on what they would have signed up for - super poor form from Delta.

Also: who could have foreseen travel would return?

This isn't a DL exclusive issue as all the carriers are having problems to some degree, but they had ~2 years to invest in the network and there's what; LAX to show for it all?
It was forecast to takes years, nowhere near this quick to return to these levels. Everyone (airlines, banks, etc) thought this. Were they supposed to build clubs (with no incoming revenue) for passenger numbers that might appear in 5 years?
Old May 4, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
In my recent experiences, its infrequent leisure travelers getting to the airport early with their extended families in tow to party in the club that are overcrowding the clubs.

Sure, Im in the grab a coffee and use the loo on arrival camp (not in that order), but I take up minimal space and am there for all of 7-10 minutes. Not to mention, Delta gets paid the same contracted entry rate by AMEX whether someone is there for 5 minutes to use a restroom or 3 hours to drink half the bar (which makes me question whether AMEX may have had a role in pushing this change). Its really not the arrivals folks that are overcrowding the clubs, especially if the others, like myself, skip it when theres a line for entry.

This is a huge devaluation for me, and Im among those who will be reaching out to AMEX for a partial refund of the AF and complaining to Delta as well.

As an aside, how illiterate are DLs website copywriters? It boggles the mind to say that DL is committed to providing a singular experience to then immediately add that a non-singular experience is in development. Absolutely bottom-tier logic, but thats what I expect from the Dirty D these days.
kavok and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.