Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Reading this thread I’m very surprised at the amount of people that had been utilizing clubs on arrival - so this change might help to an extent. I’m not saying I agree with the change, and fully understand the frustration of people that pay for membership privileges.

For me, I gain access when flying D1 or internationally as a PM (on average once a year) OR I gain access by using my DL Plat Amex when I have an excessive connection that’s usually greater than 2-3 hours (probably 6 times a year). So, I am one of those people sitting in the club for 3+ hours on connections thanks to ANC’s awkward flight times.

This change really won’t impact me as my club use is 99% during connections as my origin and destination airports don’t normally have clubs.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I definitely don't like the changes that were made today. I don't think I will renew my DL Biz Reserve later this year. Hopefully, there will be enough cancelations that will get DL to reconsider!
unitedbusiness and volabam like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does AmEx still give pro-rated annual fee refunds when its cards are cancelled? If so, shouldn't the response be to cancel those cards now (or actually on June 1st) rather than at renewal time?
Old May 4, 2022, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
I definitely don't like the changes that were made today. I don't think I will renew my DL Biz Reserve later this year. Hopefully, there will be enough cancelations that will get DL to reconsider!
Is club access the only reason you had the card?
Old May 4, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It's one less reason to renew my membership. I'm one of those who would use the bathroom and get a quick bite to eat when I flew into Seattle before heading out to the office. But, since this eliminates half my potential visits, there is no longer a reason to renew. I can just get a day pass when I'm on a long connection or my flight is delayed.
volabam and jhalapin like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does AmEx still give pro-rated annual fee refunds when its cards are cancelled? If so, shouldn't the response be to cancel those cards now (or actually on June 1st) rather than at renewal time?
I don't think so, but they may have to for the DL cards, to be fair.

Originally Posted by TomMM
Is club access the only reason you had the card?
No. Long story short, I originally got it for the MQM post feature. I think this was back in 2018. I don't really need it anymore.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
I would be very surprised if DL does not have good data on what % of guests are “arrivals”accessing the SkyClubs. That would seemingly be easy to measure.

What I am less certain of is what data, if any, they have for how long those “arrivals” guests actually stay in the club. As in, there is no formal check out process… so unless there is a data collection algorithm built into the DL App, based on GPS location… it seemingly would be far more difficult to measure the duration on how long those “post arrival” SkyClub visits are in duration.

And that is why I am skeptical the “arrivals” prohibition will actually have a meaningful impact on crowd reduction. If most arrivals just grab a coffee, use the restroom, and leave… they aren’t consuming much space and time. And thus not a lot more new space will be created in their absence. I guess DL will save a few cents on the coffee costs, but the coffee cost savings are likely to be cancelled out by lost revenue as more memberships are cancelled.
ohhleary likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Add me to the list of paid SkyClub members who doesn't like the removal of arrival access. I'll write in to complain but doubt DL has any intention of pulling these back no matter how many folks complain.

Definitely will have to think how much value the SkyClub is adding vs. just keeping my Priority Pass.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Add me to the list of paid SkyClub members who doesn't like the removal of arrival access. I'll write in to complain but doubt DL has any intention of pulling these back no matter how many folks complain.

Definitely will have to think how much value the SkyClub is adding vs. just keeping my Priority Pass.
I have Priority Pass through my CSR and Citi Prestige, so I do have a backup option.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
QUESTION: How is D1 arrival use defined? Specifically, if I have a longhaul international D1 flight on DL followed by a domestic connecting flight (presumably in domestic FC), would I have lounge access at my destination? Does the answer change if the international flight--in business class--is operated (or marketed) by close partners such as AF/KLM, KE, VS? Also, in such cases, I presumably get same day access to SkyClubs (but not partner lounges unless they're designated as arrival lounges, RIP) now also as a SkyTeam ElitePlus (DM and 2MM), but does the new rule mean losing that access as an arriving passenger too?

ADDED: if you arrive on an international D1 segment (without preclearance) to your destination in the USA, you can't get to the door of any airside lounges because of TSA airport security. If the rule means that you must arrive on a D1 segment, SkyClub access then is available only for domestic D1 routes (JFK-LAX/SFO, HNL-MSP-ATL and vv, plus the odd D1 flights to/from BOS,SEA, and ATL) and D1 arrivals from DUB (which I believe is the only preclearance airport with D1 service).
FlyBitcoin likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 4, 2022 at 12:46 pm
Old May 4, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by hockeystl
That was their approach when they stopped allowing all members to access SC when flying other airlines several years back. DL backed off the policy within a month for Lifetime members. I'd presume legal told them to change the rules back?
I doubt that was for legal reasons, unless the legal department didn't do their job originally.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QUESTION: How is D1 arrival use defined? Specifically, if I have a longhaul international D1 flight on DL followed by a domestic connecting flight (presumably in domestic FC), would I have lounge access at my destination? Does the answer change if the international flight--in business class--is operated (or marketed) by close partners such as AF/KLM, KE, VS? Also, in such cases, I presumably get same day access to SkyClubs (but not partner lounges unless they're designated as arrival lounges, RIP) now also as a SkyTeam ElitePlus (DM and 2MM), but does the new rule mean losing that access as an arriving passenger too?
I think DL should provide an FAQ for this.
obscure2k likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA

One would think that D1 same day access is D1 same day access. Not sure how this works already, but one would think it would work the same way.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by bakrgby
suddenly delta 360 is looking better, I have a feeling 360s will be allowed into the D1 lounges in accordance with the current D1 checkin policy
Yes, per their announcement and FAQ: "Delta 360 Members and American Express Centurion cardholders will be exempt from this policy change. Delta One customers will be partially exempt from this policy change in that they will still be able to access Clubs upon arrival to their final destination."
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Maybe a "to go" cup on the red eye...
It would be nice if they would allow exceptions to people coming in on redeyes since they don't provide a meal service. I'm sure the FA's are going to be getting a lot of request just before landing to fill up travel cups with coffee.
kavok, lsquare and DrMilano like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.