Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess I am one of the few who won’t be affected. I only use the clubs when making a connection from an INTL arrival.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:46 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Somehow we as individuals have learned to like the freedom to use the club.

It is not wise for Delta to change this for paid members. Some even want their money back instead of pushing back the other way and demanding expected availability during the life of their membership

Being the airline leader here is also not good since it is sure to drive away high level passengers to greener fields.

I wonder how they will handle the method of presenting your boarding pass that prints out the words for club access? Some of us just grab any available boarding pass paper in our pocket, which often is for our last flight. Does that mean that the scan will be reset to also include details about the PNR in its entirety?
Old May 4, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cubeman
The real problem is they sold too much access and now are cutting back your access abilities while still providing access to anyone with a decent credit score.
With that I am in total agreement.
ohhleary likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
This is not what I paid for. Pro-rated refunds should be given upon request.
Interested to see how this impacts those of us who paid for lifetime SC memberships.....

Email requesting clarification for Lifetime Members was sent to: [email protected]

Last edited by hockeystl; May 4, 2022 at 10:57 am Reason: Added note that I sent email
Old May 4, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Somehow we as individuals have learned to like the freedom to use the club.

It is not wise for Delta to change this for paid members. Some even want their money back instead of pushing back the other way and demanding expected availability during the life of their membership

Being the airline leader here is also not good since it is sure to drive away high level passengers to greener fields.

I wonder how they will handle the method of presenting your boarding pass that prints out the words for club access? Some of us just grab any available boarding pass paper in our pocket, which often is for our last flight. Does that mean that the scan will be reset to also include details about the PNR in its entirety?
I am fan of the LH lounge access model, primarily status or cabin class.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
Annoying, yet the change was inevitable... Part of the Delta fare premium was club access on departure/arrival. On a route like STL-MSP/DTW, when the departure airport lacks a club, a traveler with club access wouldn't even get the opportunity to use their entry benefit...
Old May 4, 2022, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by cardsqc
I've had way too many trips where I've been over 3 hours in the lounge. Including a few 8 hour stays at times.
Same. There's been many times when I've rolled the dice on standby for an earlier flight home and came up craps then just chilled in the SC doing work for sometimes 3+ hours at a time.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Live4Miles
I have lifetime access.

I guess I can just tell them I'm on another carriers flight to gain access when I fly into city (like a redeye arrival in early AM)?
I'm in the same boat but I don't think this would work. Scanning my SC Membership card (rather than boarding pass since we'd be saying flying another carrier) would automatically pull up my DL flight info just like a BP would unless something has recently changed.

I emailed DL asking for clarification on how this impacts those of us who purchased lifetime membership and will update this thread when I hear back.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Same. There's been many times when I've rolled the dice on standby for an earlier flight home and came up craps then just chilled in the SC doing work for sometimes 3+ hours at a time.
And this scenario is still allowed under the rules. Though its funny in the FAQ they note you have to have "intention" to use the standby flight. Sort of anticipating the games one might play.
hockeystl, cre95 and sky303 like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by FabCW
I’m reading this thread and laughing so hard… it seems that most of you are upset because you won’t be able to use the Sky Club on arrival to poop like a one percenter.
🤣🤣🤣

Reading the responses here, they're going to save lots of $$$ on toilet paper and carry-out food, anyway.
Statman, cre95, DrMilano and 11 others like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
Boarding Pay: Brought to you by: SkyClub devaluation!

The timing here is impeccable...
volabam likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
Echo a lot of the thoughts here. I am an infrequent user of SkyClubs as arrival lounges but I do value the benefit due to the flexibility it offers me.

The 3-hour pre-departure makes sense to me.

I understand Delta's need to deal with the overcrowding in the lounge situation, I am surprised that restricting arrival access was a measure that they felt would have a significant impact. I'll presume that they must have the data to back this up.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by hockeystl
I'm in the same boat but I don't think this would work. Scanning my SC Membership card (rather than boarding pass since we'd be saying flying another carrier) would automatically pull up my DL flight info just like a BP would unless something has recently changed.

I emailed DL asking for clarification on how this impacts those of us who purchased lifetime membership and will update this thread when I hear back.
Unless they had a total lapse in their legal department, or it's unlike any club I've ever been in, they're allowed to change the rules at any time.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
So love this line in the email: “complimentary access to the Delta Sky Club”
It’s a published benefit of the card and baked into the card fee.

Second, it’s a bit obscene this rule change will apply to paid memberships. I doubt these changes will have a big impact on overcrowding. I think DL is doing this to make it appear they’re doing something. In reality, they need to cut off credit cards or make the guest fees higher.

Delta doesn’t typically back track on changes, so just another in a long line of devaluations for frequent business travelers.
DrMilano and ohhleary like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by jghassell
Arrival use isn't primary but that doesn't mean secondary uses aren't a factor in deciding whether to pay for membership.

I would grumble but accept the changes if I got complimentary membership through a credit card, but I paid out of pocket in December to join, so this is half the membership period that had the terms materially changed.
Deleted a comment because it was clear from later posting that this does in fact apply to paid SkyClub members. I'm not one (my last paid membership was to a WorldClub ) but that truly sucks.

As for arriving more than 3 hours early -- If I am using public transportation to get to the airport I leave lots of time for snags on the way to the airport and if all goes well I can get there very early. But usually this is on the return of an international trip and this wouldn't apply since there are no SkyClubs were I travel

Added: At least they didn't call it an Enhancement

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; May 4, 2022 at 11:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.