Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 4:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
I doubt Delta thinks D1 pax are "most loyal"

Letting them keep arrivals access is just keeping a fairly world wide standard. My guess is they expect AA/UA to follow along for the domestic side but certainly wouldn't see airlines world wide fallow along in banning international business arrivals. JMO

edit to add, I wonder too if D1 is keeping access with the D1 coming to JFK/LAX and likely a few other hubs (ATL/SEA/DTW would be my guess for sure) That would mean hubs (and SFO) that see limited D1 wont see a ton of D1 arrivals in the SCs
DL says that its D1 passengers are most loyal. Are you suggesting that DL says things that it does not think are true?

Internationally, there generally isn't lounge access upon arrival unless there's a separate arrivals lounge (the one at CDG still seems to be closed and LHR had something preCOVID-19 too, but IIRC these were restricted to those with a TATL business class ticket). International airlines are generally emphatic that their lounges are departures (and connections) lounges, but this tends not to matter since arriving passengers are segregated from departing passengers and therefore cannot get to the door of these departures lounges. At least one alliance (not SkyTeam) bases lounge access on the cabin class of the segment departing from that airport for nonelites, so that a nonelite passtnger ticketed in domestic FC connecting to TATL/TPAC in business class or IFC would be eligible to use the lounge *only* at the connecting airport, immediately before the TATL/TPAC segment (and not at the departure airport before the domestic FC segment).
boss315 and lsquare like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
For those referring to Sky Clubs as quiet, clean and calm as reasons to visit upon arrival….can you please be specific as to which Sky Club you are referring to as I have never seen a Sky Club that fits this description?

I mean, come on. Use an airport restroom if you really need to go…
Is that free cup of coffee really the tipping point for you?
Is the free snack upon arrival critical to your performance?
You can change clothes in an airport bathroom as well as a Sky Club restroom, I’ve done it, so can you (although I realize the shower situation for some)

To each his own, but I fly internationally often. I never schedule a flight where I have to go directly to a client location. I either come on the day before or ensure I have an early check in at my hotel…prefer to not use public showers

Those that can will have to adjust

Here’s hoping there are more changes to reduce overcrowding in the Sky Clubs. As one posted above, I see a lot of over endulging both with drinks and food and extended families hanging out getting loaded on both food and drink

I find sitting in the terminal or at a decent restaurant/bar in the terminal (if you can find one) more calm and quiet than the Sky Barn. The SC buffet resembles a Golden Corral more than a great benefit we should have.
Statman, boss315, lsquare and 8 others like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by buckeye91
For those referring to Sky Clubs as quiet, clean and calm as reasons to visit upon arrival….can you please be specific as to which Sky Club you are referring to as I have never seen a Sky Club that fits this description?

You can change clothes in an airport bathroom as well as a Sky Club restroom, I’ve done it, so can you (although I realize the shower situation for some)

To each his own, but I fly internationally often. I never schedule a flight where I have to go directly to a client location. I either come on the day before or ensure I have an early check in at my hotel…prefer to not use public showers

Here’s hoping there are more changes to reduce overcrowding in the Sky Clubs. As one posted above, I see a lot of over endulging both with drinks and food and extended families hanging out getting loaded on both food and drink

I find sitting in the terminal or at a decent restaurant/bar in the terminal (if you can find one) more calm and quiet than the Sky Barn. The SC buffet resembles a Golden Corral more than a great benefit we should have.

I had to double check the name to make sure I didn't write this...
Statman, boss315, lsquare and 3 others like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:20 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
DELETED

Last edited by nrr; May 5, 2022 at 5:26 am
Old May 5, 2022, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by David7
Imagine Delta suing you for repeatedly cancelling your tickets in line with their cancellation policies.

And then Delta retains Amber Heard’s attorneys for the aggressive questioning

“You just booked this flight to take a dump in the Skyclub, did you not?”
“So there is no document to prove that you really had to fly to Raleigh-Durham, correct?”
Imagine them suing (as others have because you booked a flight knowing wouldn't fly, costing them a last minute $1000 ticket? I can easily imagine that. Just because DL let's you cancel doesn't change fact you had no intention of flying..

Airlines know of this scam (for lounge access), and have sued before over it.
ijgordon, Statman, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Justin026
As one based in ATL, it seems unfair. We do not connect as much, so we don't have to wait for a connection. These are not billed as connection lounges —or something that is somehow priced into a connecting ticket. Indeed, many single segments out of Atlanta are priced higher than connecting routes from other cities that feed onto the exact same flights.
Which part is unfair? That you can get direct flights to where you're going? I think most people would trade skyclub access during connections for that.

You can still show up three hours in advance of your flight. It just becomes no longer a "grab some free food on the way home/to the meeting/to the hotel" stop. I can imagine some folks got a pretty good deal on that alone.

Don't you want the club to be less crowded? If you have to wait in line to get in, is it really worth the effort on arrival?

I'll refer back to a post I made earlier: someone's access was going to get cut. Would you prefer everyone pay a small entrance fee of say, $10? or would you prefer nobody be allowed to bring guests? Or this?

While sure, it's nice to have a place to chill when you get back, there's also an argument that it's not terrible to get away from the circus.
Statman and lsquare like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by cubeman
I'm not a business traveler but even I use arrival access just to use the restroom and grab a snack on the way out. I assume they did a study to figure out what is causing the overcrowding I just can't imagine people are sitting 3+ hours in the lounge. Is arrivals that bad though? Losing that might make me not even bother renewing my executive club membership since I have the reserve card.

They should have just pony'd up and tiered access for paid club members, benefit club members, then card members. To be honest though the changes they are putting in require no IT changes though, just the rep telling them "sorry no access"
Recently flew HNL-MSP on DL, then MSP-LGA on AA. 6 hour layover -- literally spent the entire 6 hours, on arrival, sitting in the SC!
Old May 5, 2022, 5:34 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by buckeye91

The SC bathrooms have "closed" toilet rooms, much nicer for changing clothes.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
The fact remains that this is an unacceptable restriction (especially when applied to Lifetime Club members) which will most likely have negligible impact on the crowding situation.
It's pretty clear that Delta is choosing AMEX and the associated revenue over loyal flyers who patronize their airline. Restricting guests e.g., business associates, families (including children and pets) and friends who have filled the Clubs to capacity, would make much more sense. If there is anyway to make our opinions know to anyone in authority at the airline, I'd love to have the opportunity to do so.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Perhaps this DL lounge policy change will get some people to book onward DL segments from a US port of entry and use the onward boarding pass/ticket segment(s) as part of throw-away ticketing to get lounge access on arrival at the DL hub being used as a US port of entry.

Originally Posted by nrr
The SC bathrooms have "closed" toilet rooms, much nicer for changing clothes.
Yes, and one alternative used to have more room to change clothes can crowd out others (who really shouldn't be crowded out) -- that alternative being the "family"/"handicapped" bathrooms at airports.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
I am quickly realizing that this will not affect me at all except open a few more spots in the SC. I think that DL knows that most users will be affected minimally.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Let Diamond status members use a choice benefit to have sky club access whenever they want. Better than a $200 voucher. Bummer when have to check out of hotel(even when have late checkout) and flight is late.
puck021 likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by fromYXU
I am quickly realizing that this will not affect me at all except open a few more spots in the SC. I think that DL knows that most users will be affected minimally.
I think DL knows what the % reduction in guests will be by club, day/hour.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
I think that removing arrivals may have an impact on % of entries, but surely not % of total time spent. I stop routinely on arrival to use the restroom as others have stated, but am always in/out <10 mins.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:30 am

They didn’t go far enough. They should’ve made it 90 mins prior to departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.