Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Centurion cardholers are exempt from the rules but skyclub members aren't??????

I didn't see anything about Centurion cardholders being exempt from the skyclub rules
https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access

"Are there any exceptions to this policy?
Delta 360 Members and American Express Centurion cardholders will be exempt from this policy change. Delta One customers will be partially exempt from this policy change in that they will still be able to access Clubs upon arrival to their final destination."

"Membership" vs card access hasn't been a thing for SkyClubs for years.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: DL (former NWA) PM
Notice Untimely; Change unfair and abusive

If they are making changes that impact the Delta Amex Reserve customers they must provide 45 days notice to comply with card laws, unless they observe this to be insignificant. I think this is a major change.

Additionally, making changes of this nature on a card with an annual fee of $550, is likely to be viewed as unfair and deceptive. Especially given the fact Delta just received a bundle of Federal Aid.

if you are upset file a complaint with the CFPB
Old May 4, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by williwaw
The FAQ notes DL offers prorated refunds.
I considered a refund when they changed to requiring same day tickets on Delta or specified partners, but just decided not to worry about it.

I had a multiyear membership dating back to when Platinums could buy a three year membership at a discounted price, and you could use your Amex Plat card airline fee towards the purchase.

My membership finally runs out in October and I will just let it go. I don't see any reason to be a Skyclub member versus getting in with the Delta Reserve card unless you need an Executive membership.

David
Old May 4, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Pretty certain Amex announced record numbers of Platinum card sign ups in Q1, I think this is the net result of that.
I am dubious about Platinum card numbers given this years extravagant fee increase. Perhaps a lot of signups to get the bonuses, but I expect more than offset by cancellations.

I was going to cancel mine, but I did get a decent retention offer.

David
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Originally Posted by greycap7
Reminds me of when I was a consultant and would fly into DCA super early morning. My go-to was to head directly to the SkyClub, take a dump in the freshly cleaned bathrooms, have coffee and breakfast, and then head to the client site.
Yes, I frequently do the same thing especially when I have a significant car ride after arrival, so the elimination of the arrival benefit is a real loss... Perhaps if Delta could have a Grab-and-Go area specifically for arrival access it would still allow for some of that while still alleviating the butts-in-seats in the SC?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Bahaha Its like they think this will help the overcrowding in the Skydumps. Not a chance.
For some reason I can't help but think that their data is better than yours. Time will tell.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I am dubious about Platinum card numbers given this years extravagant fee increase. Perhaps a lot of signups to get the bonuses, but I expect more than offset by cancellations.

I was going to cancel mine, but I did get a decent retention offer.

David
Retention offers are pretty high right now, and I think the changes were actually popular on net.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
How am I suppose to get that 2-ply on arrival now?

The indignity…
Old May 4, 2022, 10:09 am

I’m reading this thread and laughing so hard… it seems that most of you are upset because you won’t be able to use the Sky Club on arrival to poop like a one percenter.
🤣🤣🤣
dw, sdix, PurdueFlyer and 14 others like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cubeman
Shot my email requesting a refund of my membership with the email they provided in the FAQ, people complaining put your money where your mouth is.
Well if you cut off your nose to spite your face, does it really matter where your mouth is?
Old May 4, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
As if it will help, but I've already written in to complain. This change punishes individual business travelers the most, and does nothing to address the overcrowding.

Also, what's the point of clubs having showers if you can no longer use them coming off redeyes?
Old May 4, 2022, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's so much quicker to just grab a cup of coffee at a SkyClub you're walking past upon arrival than to wait in line or wait for table service at an airport F&B outlet. To me, this is especially important if I'm picking up a rental car.

When I enter as an arriving passenger, I sometimes get a reaction from an agent as if this is unusual. They seem surprised that I'm using the lounge upon arrival. In addition, I just don't observe many people entering lounges upon arrival and when the topic comes up in conversation, people generally seem surprised that I would use a lounge this way.

Given the rationale of using a lounge after a redeye or on the way to a business meeting, I suspect that any reduction in lounge use will be concentrated at a few airports, such as JFK, LGA, DCA, BOS, DTW (especially if their showers re-open), maybe ORD and MSP. These are business oriented high yield destinations that traditionally have a bigger fraction of business travelers and high tier elites.

Does DL really want to bet on survival as a leisure-oriented airline catering to big families buying BE tickets and bringing all the kids into lounges?
Old May 4, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Even if I were planning to switch to DL, this policy absolutely guarantees it ain't gonna happen. Yes, lounges on arrival are that important to me.
Daze and unitedbusiness like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I considered a refund when they changed to requiring same day tickets on Delta or specified partners, but just decided not to worry about it.

I had a multiyear membership dating back to when Platinums could buy a three year membership at a discounted price, and you could use your Amex Plat card airline fee towards the purchase.

My membership finally runs out in October and I will just let it go. I don't see any reason to be a Skyclub member versus getting in with the Delta Reserve card unless you need an Executive membership.

David
I think it's a real slap in the face to actual Skyclub members that Cenutrion cardholders are getting better treatment than them. I had a skyclub membership before I was diamond and it was a benefit and can tell you they won't issue refunds.

I requested a refund when they started serving the crappy Gordon's (thankfully that didn't last long) and was told memberships weren't refundable. In this case they should allow the old rules to apply to real members until that membership runs out.

I didn't bother renewing since Am Ex cardholders get the same treatment as skyclub members and I can access the Centurion lounge with my reserve card. It would be nice if Am Ex returned the favor and allowed skyclub members to access the centurion lounges when flying delta.
DiverDave and ohhleary like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Disappointing but not surprising that it's harmonized with the Centurion Lounges. I've rarely used the lounge on arrival, although I was planning to take a Zoom there in DCA last month, except the LGA-DCA flight was delayed an hour and I missed the call entirely. I think I'm 0 for 3 for on-time performance on that route in the last year. (But 3 for 3 on upgrades! )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.